Firearms Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been considering adding an AR to my collection and now feel that time is ticking away. I would like to keep it $900 and under and any and all suggestions are appreciated. It would be used primarily for HD and target shooting. Also what factors should I consider?

Thanks,
Getem

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
read the stickies, then the build threads, then define what you want to do with the rifle ;)

From what you posted already it sounds like you are looking for a battle rifle/range gun. A 16" barrel length should cover that but bear in mind that an AR is not the most ideal HD weapon IMHO. Might you consider a pump shotgun or handgun?

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
dog2000tj said:
read the stickies, then the build threads, then define what you want to do with the rifle ;)

From what you posted already it sounds like you are looking for a battle rifle/range gun. A 16" barrel length should cover that but bear in mind that an AR is not the most ideal HD weapon IMHO. Might you consider a pump shotgun or handgun?
Agreed. AR's are LOUD! You're talking permanent hearing damage for the entire family.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dog2000tj said:

I have several HD pistols and shotguns so that's covered.....I geuss I really just want one for my collection :)

I'll take a look at some other threads but in the mean time any ready out of the box suggestons could get me rolling. Has anyone had experience with SW M&P ar? If so ehat are your thoughts

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
the SW M&P has been getting very good reviews, a few folks here have it as well. BCM, DD, Spikes, STAG, RRA all make good rifles and they can be customized/optioned to suit your preferences

·
Registered
7,545 Posts
Under $900 I'd be looking at PSA and S&W.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I have a S&W and have been nothing but satisfied. Do be aware there are many different levels in the S*W line up.. you can go budget for the sport model and they start in the 6-800 range depending on where you live. Then you get into the standard mil-spec M-4 Configuration with or with out fixed front sight and bayo lug, then you can get into the M&P tactical which is upwards of $16-1700 and very nice.

Mine is the ORC ( optic ready carbine ) which is a flat top and front railed gas block. I have put prob over 5k rounds through it without a hick-up. I have attended a couple carbine classes and ran about 7-800 rounds in a 6 or 7 hr period. And amost all steel cased too by the way. I think I paid around $1100 in the spring of 09. They get a full thumbs up from me. You can go here and view the whole line up and msrp..

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category3_750001_750051_757784_-1_Y#http%3A%2F%2Fwww.smith-wesson.com%2Fwebapp%2Fwcs%2Fstores%2Fservlet%2FCategoryOnlyResultsDisplayView%3FpageSize%3D16%26pageView%3D%26catalogId%3D750051%26top_category%3D757784%26parent_category_rn%3D757784%26beginIndex%3D0%26categoryId%3D757784%26categoryId%3D757784%26langId%3D-1%26storeId%3D750001%26filterResults%3D%26useFilter%3D%26identifier%3D1343363637213

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Building by starting with Spike's lower, PSA LPK kit and patiently hunt a Spike's Upper Receiver Group. All can be done under $900.

·
Registered
79 Posts
For what its worth, though you can buy one as cheap as build, I applaud you for doing so. I assembled both of mine, and they are exactly the way I want them, not the marketing guys or the guys in accounting. As such, they are MINE, and may not be suited for others, but I didn't build them for someone else.
Anyway, here is a thought, since you are starting from scratch. Unless you have a Dillon 650 or an uncle who works at Federal or Hornady, why not find something cheaper than the. 223 to shoot? Since this is going to be a zombie apocalypse gun, why not shoot it cheap(er)? You can get a barreled upper in 5.45x39 for a little more than a standard 5.56 upper, but the upside is that the ammo is about 12 cents a round vs. 35 for new FMJ 5.56. It uses slightly different magazines, and there is quality ammo available for when you want to drive tacks.
Just a thought, but that is going to be my next build. I can hoard several thousand rounds of ammo for under $500.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
7X57Mauser said:
For what its worth, though you can buy one as cheap as build, I applaud you for doing so. I assembled both of mine, and they are exactly the way I want them, not the marketing guys or the guys in accounting. As such, they are MINE, and may not be suited for others, but I didn't build them for someone else.
Anyway, here is a thought, since you are starting from scratch. Unless you have a Dillon 650 or an uncle who works at Federal or Hornady, why not find something cheaper than the. 223 to shoot? Since this is going to be a zombie apocalypse gun, why not shoot it cheap(er)? You can get a barreled upper in 5.45x39 for a little more than a standard 5.56 upper, but the upside is that the ammo is about 12 cents a round vs. 35 for new FMJ 5.56. It uses slightly different magazines, and there is quality ammo available for when you want to drive tacks.
Just a thought, but that is going to be my next build. I can hoard several thousand rounds of ammo for under $500.
Haven't considered that option, thanks for your insight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts