Help with choosing sights.

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by rayssrr, Apr 4, 2012.

1. rayssrr

rayssrr New Member

I am going to be purchasing my first ar 15 in a month or two and I could use a little help with choosing the sights. I am leaning toward either BCM or Daniel Defense for the ar and now I am leaning toward a good red dot sight. Help me out for what sights are worth getting. Thank you!

2. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Budget and distances you plan on shooting?

3. frostyone

frostyone New Member

I just bought an Aimpoint Micro T-1 2 moa. I really like it so far and haven't been able to find 1 bad review for it. I ordered the H-1 but found it to be out of stock and I'm impatient so I upgraded to the T-1.

4. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

A top end rifle deserves a top end sight. Stick with Aimpoint for a red dot, or better yet, get a Trijicon ACOG.

Very pricey, but damn well worth every penny. :):)

5. rayssrr

rayssrr New Member

I would like to have the best of both worlds. How far can a normal red dot be good for and is a magnified red dot scope a better way to go?

6. frostyone

frostyone New Member

On my first ar I had a cheap red dot and I could hit paper targets at 200 yards pretty easily. I haven't been able to try any longer distances yet with the aimpoint but I imagine it will reach out beyond 200 yards. Hopefully I will find out this weekend. There is also the option of a magnifier with a red dot for longer distances.

7. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

I tend to like the removable magnifiers.

8. Duck4Glocks

Duck4Glocks New Member

Depends on what your budget is. If you have the budget I'd say go for the Trijicon. If not eotech and aim point seem to be the way to go. If you can't afford the Trijicon and want magnification, you can get a magnifier that can flip on and off the red dot.

9. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I love ringing steel at 300 yards, free hand, 5.56 and 4 moa Aimpoint Micro H-1, unmagnified.

400 hundred yards is more challenging free hand, but not really a problem on a rest.

Mind you I'm not going for groups, just making steel sing.

10. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Honestly I think Eotech's 1 moa reticle is better for longer distances. YMMV.

11. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

but honestly I think you should get some good iron sights, a sh*ton of ammo and go have some fun. Upgrade to a RDS or scope later when you figure what out what kind of distnaces or shooting you want to do.

12. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

If you can find the damn ammo. All I found today was some American Eagle and the f$#$king Tula.