Help with bullet choices for hunting

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Jasson, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Jasson

Jasson New Member

Hey guys,, I need some advice regarding choices for hunting bullets.. It will be for a. 308 ( 7.62x56). I will be shooting 150gr bullets at ranges varying from 10yards-250yards and hunting bushpigs, warthogs, blesbuck impala, spring buck and kudu. I know you don't get a magic, one bullet does it all but I need a bullet that will drop the above quarry fast without too much meat damage and correct shot placement. I will be reloading so looking mainly at info on suitable points for the task at hand. Two main considerations are Sierra game king and Hornady interbonds. Appreciate the help and info.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Firearms Talk mobile app

2. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

To start with the round normally refered to as 308 is 7.62 x 51. The only ammo I have ever seen that was 7.62 x 56 was for a 303 Enfield????

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

For .308 Win I like the 150 grain Hornady SST. If you need a larger bullet, the 165 grain SST is a heavy hitter in the .308.

The occasional SST that I have recovered displayed an excellent mushroom and very good weight retention.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

Nosler partition in 168grain. I say that because you listed kudu and warthog. Both are pretty tough and the vitals are buried under a lot of muscle. I think 150 is a bit light for those two.

The nosler partition is a superb game bullet that doesn't explosivly do massive meat damage retains its weight and expands in a very precise predictable manner.

308 winchester is 7.62x51. Are we talking about that round?? If your talking some other cartridge in a war relic type rifle you will want a heavier round. 150 grain bullets for 30cal were machine gun weights designed to save material. Pretty much all rifles do much better with bullets 168 and up.

I'm going to disagree with gatoragn on using the sst on african game. While its a great white tail round it expands way to fast for much tougher african game. I use the sst a lot for coyote and hog it can do quite a bit of meat damage. I do like that bullet however.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  5. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

.308 is not 7.62x56, it is 7.62x51 ie; 7.62 NATO, I use 150 gr. JHP`s !..................

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  6. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

.303 Enfield is not 7.62x56, .303 Enfield is 7.7x56R..............

7. hairbear1

hairbear1 Member

Even though it's not what you were asking about I use the Sierra Game Kings in 165gn in my 30/06AI and in my .270 the 130gn Sierra Game Kings.

They have dropped pigs,goats, wild dogs, feral donkeys and horses from ranges starting at 50 yds out to 150+yds and haven't had a fail yet.

8. Jasson

Jasson New Member

Sorry guys, typing error on my part. Was typing just before bedtime. It is a 7.62x51.

9. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I would definitely go for the Nosler Partitions,, the 160 grain in my 7mm Rem. mag, penetrates way more than I ever thought a bullet would ever be able,, the 180grain .30 cal in my .300 Win mag is super. My brother uses the 180 grain in his .308 and has cleanly taken moose with the Partition. Also if you have to shoot an animal that a .308 is really too light a cartridge, the Partition will help even the odds,, it seems that in your hunting grounds, that may definitely be a possibility.

10. Jasson

Jasson New Member

Of thanks for the info. If I were to use 160-164 gr bullets, how would it affect the trajectory from that of a 150 gr bullet? My rifle is zeroed at 200. I shoot 2 inches high at 100 and 9-10 inches low at 300. The speeds are < 2800 fps.

11. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

You would need to rezero anyway. If you change bullets even a 150 for a different 150 you need to rezero before hunting.

13. TLuker

TLuker New Member

You'll have to check it and see to know for certain but you will definitely get more drop. Personally I don't mind the extra drop of a heavier bullet because I know the heavier bullet is going to perform better especially at those longer ranges because it will have more energy. I use 180 gr Gamekings in my .308, 30-06, and .303 for deer and hogs. And I love the performance of the Gamekings. You have to be a little more precise in your yardages with the heavier bullets but that extra precision combined with the performance of a heavier bullet equals a gritter going home in the back of the truck every time. :)

14. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

Not always true, barrel harmonics can give you the same POI with different weight/speed bullets at a given range. My 30-06 impact the same point with both 150gr TTSXs at 3040fps and 165gr BTSP at 2920fps, but if I go to 180gr harmonics is working aginst me and I am WAY off (7" low at 100 yards!) the moons of Juipter don't usualy align like that though, best to pick a load capable of the largest game you hunt and stick with it.

15. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

My two choices would be The

Nosler Partition best Old school bullet to be used.

Barnes TSX "triple shock" bullet (all copper) the more I've used these the past eight years the better I've liked them.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  16. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I would get a high quality soft point bullet that you can buy where you are hunting. None of the game you are hunting is hard to kill. You just need a good shooting bullet that is easy to buy.

The reason I say this is my gun always ends up at my destination. Ammo is not so lucky at getting there. I have packaged my ammo improperly and couldn't get it on the plane. I have left my ammo on top of the truck or somewhere. I really don't know what happened to my ammo. I just didn't have any ammo 150 miles from home. I went to the local ace hardware and bought a box of Winchester soft points.

Sight your gun in before you leave and check it when you get there. Enjoy yourself and keep your powder dry.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  17. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Are you heading to South Africa?? They do have specific guide lines as far as ammo. .308 needs to use a 180gr bullet for plains game.

18. Jasson

Jasson New Member

I live in South Africa. I live along the coast. All your info has lead me to believe I might need two different bullets for different tasks. One bullet for buck and one bullet for pigs. Gonna look at 160 odd gr range from you guys feedback

19. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I shoot some nice sized hogs with 150 gr 30/06 bullets. Just plain old cheap Winchester ammo. Breaks both shoulder blades and puts the hog down right there. Any bonded bullet will zap right through an African hog. Speed kills!

20. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

The issue you will have is POI changing. I use 165 cup and core for most .308 hunting. As John Deer stated, you don't need a premium bullet for pigs. But, flipping from 165 to 180gr can be a pita.