Help with a rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Kitty87, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Kitty87

Kitty87 New Member

Hello,
    I am a female, trying to find a good rifle. I have back problems, so i can not use anything with a bad 'kick'. I really don't like the AK 47. It don't kick that bad, I can use that. I just don't like the way it looks. I want something that is nice looking, and is something i can trust to always work. Please help me out here. I already have my dream pistol, and is trying to find the perfect rifle.
    Thanks for you're time. :confused:

~Kitty 87

2. subie-jeep

subie-jeep New Member

an sks shoots the same bullets as an ak,and they aren't as "evil scary" looking if thats what you were looking for.

[​IMG]

if your just going to use it for plinking,get a .22 almost no kick and ammo is cheap.

3. Kitty87

Kitty87 New Member

I'am looking for something to put money into. My friend has a Daniel defense. The thing I don't like with the ak47 is how he has it wood. I know I can get it with different stalks. [​IMG] I want something like that. I have three .22s already and I love them. I can out do the guys here with a .22, but yet suck with the pistol. Lol. I was looking at a HK 416, but can not find how much recoil they have.

4. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Please stop by the introductions thread and let us get to know you a bit. Now, what are you going to use it for? What range and what intended uses? Help us help you.

5. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Welcome to the forum Kitty 87! Swing by the Introductions section when you get a chance, and tell us a little about yourself.

What is your intended use of the rifle you are looking to buy?
    Plinking, target, home defense, hunting, etc? If we knew a little about what you wanted it for, we may be able to better help you find what you are looking for:D

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  6. Kitty87

Kitty87 New Member

Self defense and hunting. I will do go there after I submit this. Thanks guys.

7. junho806

junho806 New Member

What about an AR-15?
    plenty of ways to make it "purty"
    :D

8. Kitty87

Kitty87 New Member

So far, that's what I am leaning towards. A Daniel Defense AR 15 is looking wonderful. :cool:

9. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

For a self defense, target, and hunting in a reliable rifle with low recoil, Id have to say check out the Ar-15.
    The standard chambering of .223/5.56mm is great for varmints but may be a little small for deer unless you use quality hunting bullets and careful shot placement.
    Larger calibers such as the 6.5 grendel and 6.8 SPC are available and would be fine for deer size game but ammo will be a little more expensive/hard to find.
    You can purchase models with tons of different configurations and finishes from tactical to heavy varmint and everything in between. Once you have one, different upper recievers can be purchased and you can change to different barrel lengths/ weights and calibers in seconds should you choose.
    [​IMG]
    just a pic I found on web

If you aren't too concerned with the self/home defense aspect of the rifle and big game hunting is more your thing any number of bolt, pump, and semi-auto rifles are available in effective, low recoil chamberings such as .243, .260, 7mm-08 etc

Edit--I type too slow, y'all beat me too it :D

10. Kitty87

Kitty87 New Member

lol, thanks guys. My friend is buying a Daniel defense, suppose to be tomorrow.I am going to go shot with him to see if I like it. :D

11. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

If for hunting uses look into the 6.8 SPC caliber for your AR. It has a little more recoil than the .223 caliber but not that much. The plus side of 6.8 SPC round is that it's ballistics are very similar to the .308 Win. round without anywhere near as much recoil. Deer hunters are begining to find favor with this round.

The down side is that it more expensive ammo than .223 and not quite as available as .223 at this time. I think, however, that in time the prices of 6.8 SPC ammo will come down as it becomes more widely used.

Just my .02 worth.

12. junho806

junho806 New Member

hey kitty you can spend a grand or more and buy a AR-15
    or you could make your own saving hundreds of $$ and gain a real good knowledge about you rifle (invaluable and something money can't buy)
    as long as youre willing you can do it! plenty of friendly folks here that could help you every step of the way
    just a suggestion :D
    gives us a head up if you decide to go that way
    :)

13. Kitty87

Kitty87 New Member

I will let you know what I decide to do. :D