Help with a long range semi-auto?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Ruzai, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

I'm trying to make a choice on my next rifle, I've come up with a few hard specifics on what I want but I am still not sure on a couple of the others i dont know much on. I'd appreciate a little help deciding.

Has to be under $2,000
    It must NOT be a bolt action. I dont care how it cycles as long as it loads the next rounds for me.
    It has to have a magazine capacity of 5 or more.
    I am not brand specific.
    I'm a big guy so I can handle heavy recoil as long as its not a 50 without a muzzle brake.
    I want something that has decent grouping at 200-300 yards and can put down an elk at 450-550 yards with the guns most accurate load and really good aim.
    I do not handload...yet and dont completely understand all the jargon of it, but some.
    I do plan to hunt elk with the gun, but I want to primarily be able to engage multiple targets at 200-250 yards.

I have no idea what caliber I would want, but from what I've seen is the 338 Lapua Magnum, 338 Winchester Magnum, the 300 Remington Ultra Magnum, nd 300 Winchester Magnum. I don't think I'd trust a 7.62x51 Nato at 550+ yards I would think it would deviate more than the previously named calibers.

Regarding the caliber, I want to be able to load it easily in a LEE turret press and without extremely high prices on the brass, bullets, and primers.

Does such a rifle even exsist? I know it seems sort of noobish to ask this sort of question but I seem to get sort of lost in all the information that is out there, maybe with a little colaberation on the subject from more knowledgeable people I could make a decent decision.

I dont have this much trouble picking a handgun, but this is only my second rifle so things sort of change for me.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  2. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Perhaps if you swing by Introductions and tell us a little about yourself and your firearm interests, the forum members can welcome you here and be more inclined to help you out.

Either of them 300's should fit your bill, IMO.

Jack

3. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

I took your advice and posted a good-sized intro on the Introduction section.
    Oh, and the caliber is not limited to those I listed, if you know of any that might fit or surpass the wants of the gun I'd be glad to hear of them.

Of course I will need to mount a scope on the rifle, I'll probably end up having to by a new one seeing as how my current 3-9x Deerfield one is on my WASR-10 AKM for now, and probably wont move. Any suggestions for that are welcome as well.

4. Brad

Brad New Member

The Armalite AR-30 in 300 or 338 Lapua. Roughly $1600 or so. Very nice gun.

5. Missileman

Missileman New Member

One caution: Fair or not, hunting elk with a "black" rifle is heavily forwned upon in some areas and by some guides and landowners. I've hunted extensively in Montana and have seen numerous landowners refuse to permit hunting with military type weapons. To many, elk hunting is a purest sport, the goal being one-shot clean kills after hiking and climbing great distances with a light weight mountain rifle. It looks like your budget is sufficient to support your long-range tactical rifle plus a good elk rifle--that's what I'd recommend, but it's just one hunter's opinion and I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me.

6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Did some one plant a new crop of long range hunter or something?

7. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Well, Hell...If you've got the money Precision AR-10

I believe they will chamber this in nearly any caliber you would prefer but it isn't under $2000! Good luck with that!!!

8. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Many states limit the round capacity for big game hunting.

As far as the long range hunting, did "Best of the West" have a marathon on the Outdoor Channel or something?

9. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

338 Lapua for under $2k?.....ok...

Maybe all these long range hunters we're getting lately need to look into these....better not to arm these people with anything "real"
    [​IMG]

10. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

I think we need to plant them a little deeper. Dang things keep popping up.

11. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

Hunting

You sir are not ready to hunt, to even suggest taking a shot at over 300 yards is a fantasy shot and should not be taken by anyone but a very seasoned hunter. Having said that if you are not sure of a clean kill no shot should be taken. I have taken red deer at 250 yards and have been shooting 40 years. The ranges you are disscussing are simply unsafe hunting practices. If you find on a range you can consistantly hit targets at 400 yards plus apply to join your olimpic team in 2012.

12. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I stayed away from this. A semi gun to take elk... My FFL is selling his old Remington 740(2?) in 30.06 with the original Redfield wideview scope. A steal at $550.00. It is a really nice rifle w/ no wear. Hell the scope is worth more than he is asking. Colorado made Redfield.

13. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

JP

I have to ask would you entrust this weapon to someone who is talking about a 500 yard shot

14. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Long range and semi auto

Three words, Not Me Daddy. I didnt start no long range hunten shoot out. Wills in da swamp in La. PS this doesn't apply to Nutria.

15. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I have spoken my peace on long range hunting enough times. For someone that wants to learn, this is a great rig. 500 yards is not an average shot. I would not take it. The OP needs to learn. With the internet and youtube everyone and his brother thinks these are normal shots. Coming across big and bold does not help on their end. But, educating the wanna be's is something to take seriously. Even a good semi such as this is still a 250 yard elk gun. That is still a respectable shot.

16. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Heck, being partial, I would go with an Springer M1A if you don't care about the weight. The .308 will work fine for Elk with a well placed shot within reasonable ranges.

Jim...........

17. Mutabam

Mutabam New Member

It's kind of amusing that the OP would spend $2000 on a rifle, but loads on a $35 press.:D Do you really contemplate clean kills on elk @ 550 yds with any rifle? Have you ever taken game at that range? Do your hunting buddies consistently get clean kills at that range? If so, then I'd shoot whatever they're shooting. :)

Chances are, though, any serious long-range hunter WILL be shooting a bolt action and won't care if the capacity is one round or ten. :)

18. Tuner

Tuner New Member

Both Browning and Benelli make semi auto sporting rifles chambered for belted magnum cartridges and the newer short magnum cartridges. With the exception of the magazine capacity they should fill your needs quite well. Regarding a four vs. a five round capacity, if you can't get that deer / elk with the first four rounds you shouldn't be out there in the first place.

19. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

20. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

I appreciate the constructive answers I got from some of you, such as dunerunner, skullcrusher, and missileman and a few others. But I believe some of you misunderstood what I wanted the rifle for and it spawned a string of noob bashing and I would think we're all grown peoples here but I suppose its un-avoidable sometimes.

There is a reason I did not want a bolt action and its simply because I already own one I inherited from my father and is a respectible rifle, but I want one of my own that doesnt have too much sentimental value to it and I prefer a semi-auto becuase its what I'm used to.

I agree that 500+ yards is a risky and very rare shot, but I have been there before, though I was not the one taking the shot and it was not a clean kill.

I said in the original post that I wanted to be ABLE to hit something at 500 yards with decent accuracy and handloads.
    The range I shoot at for long distance shooting is capible of 300 yards and is why I said I wanted something I would be able to engage multiple targets at 250 yards or approximate range. Multiple targets meaning possibly 3-4 targets at one bullet each. These targets could be paper or siloutes to prepare for hunting and keep my aim sharp since I dont live in elk country and only get the chance to go elk hunting once every year or so in the rocky mountains.

Whoever gave the advice about the black gun being frowned upon as a hunting weapon on elk hunting in certain places, I appreciate your feedback because I never thought of it that way and is something good to keep in mind.

Tuner brought up a good point and I was wonderng if Browning would be a good choice in a 300 Win Mag. And I havent realy considered Benelli because I mostly associate them with Tom Knapp and shotguns but I may have to look into their rifles as well. I'm not familiar with the newer WSMs and smaller magnum calibers and their ballistics and is why I tend to shy away from them, I like the tried and true old-fashioned tested ammo, it seems to be easier to load from what I can tell.