Help With A Lever Action

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by MrCarson, Jul 27, 2014.

1. MrCarson

MrCarson New Member

Firearm is a Rossi 92 44-40 WIN says interarms model 65SRC on receiver (I know cheap). I'm in gunsmithing school semester 1 and we are refinishing. I'm on my 4th firearm which is this lever action. My instructor kind of chuckled and said good luck remember YOU have to put it back together. He's a really into Marlin lever actions and calls Winchesters Wincheapers because of how Winchester went cheap on the Winchester 94 post 64'. Typically students don't do lever actions until gun five or six. they recommend .22 rifles, single shot shotguns, and bold action rifles until you have done a few guns. Some students do come in with a lot of experience and just try to challenge themselves throughout the program (& get their certification)... I'm not one of those students. So I accepted his challenge to do it and not ask for his help.. Unless I really really need it. After struggling for little while I have it all apart with lots of pictures and a little understanding of how it works. Now that I have it all apart and getting it ready to be blued, I must say that it's all a little intimidating. I have to do a cycle of operations for each firearm I do. I'm a little confused on the feeding, ejecting, extracting and chambering. I'm not looking for anyone to do my work for me, just looking for a good place to find info that can help me understand this a little better. Any info & help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

3. Salvo

Salvo New Member

Youtube is your friend.

Your instructor doesn't sound too bright, I'd take any and everything he says with a few grains of salt.

4. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The Rossi lever actions are known to have quality issues and operational issues. They are a poor copy of the Winchester 92. Winchester operation and schematics will be almost identical. There is a lot of information out there on Google and Utube. You just have to ask the right questions.

6. GSmith1883

GSmith1883 New Member

I agree. You should be using any and all references available. Even when I am working on a firearm I am familiar with I still have a book or two open on the firearm. Your instructor is their to teach you, what's the point of a teacher that hands you a subject and tells you good luck? My advice is to get online and research any questions or doubts you have, ask a instructor for help, you are paying good money for this education and for their instruction. Get your money's worth.
    You will have plenty of opportunities to challenge yourself when you are out of the program.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

7. GSmith1883

GSmith1883 New Member

Now that I have it all apart and getting it ready to be blued, I must say that it's all a little intimidating. I have to do a cycle of operations for each firearm I do. I'm a little confused on the feeding, ejecting, extracting and chambering. I'm not looking for anyone to do my work for me, just looking for a good place to find info that can help me understand this a little better. Any info & help would be appreciated.

If you can't find any information in books or online about the cycle of ops, when you start to reassemble the firearm pay close attention to how all the parts work with each other. Your instructor should have at least given you a outline of how to write out the cycle of ops. So start with pressing the trigger (if I am correct the Rossi 92 does not have a manual safety, otherwise start with turning the manual safety to off), ex... ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1406485818.187406.jpg
    Hopefully this helps. Good luck to ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

8. MrCarson

MrCarson New Member

Thanks everyone for the input. Been doing my research & I think I got it. I will post it this weekend to see what yall think of it. Yeah I may have been being a little hard headed about not asking for help but yall are right that's what the instructor is there for. I should have the rossi blued by the end of next week.