Help with a Bayonet

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by JonM, Mar 27, 2011.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

couple years back my best friend got deployed to iraq. while there his convoy got attacked by taliban scum. they wiped out the tally-wackers with no injuries. he took a few souveniers and sent me this bayonet off one of em. he said it was a ak47 bayonet but it doesnt look like any ak bayonet ive ever seen. i dont have a ak to try and fit it too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the only markings are a serial number on the bottom of the hilt below it can barely be seen under the dirt and rust

[​IMG]

wondering if somone can confirm it is a ak47 bayonet or not and about when. if it is then it is a early one.

2. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

Looks to be E. German or maybe some other warsaw pact commie knockoff. I would think its an older one because it don't have the wire cutters built in. Don't know much about them really, not a collector.

[​IMG]

Glad to hear your buddy done seen the elephant and got to keep all his peanuts! :D

I have one just like it my boy picked up in Kosovo or Iraq, too lazy to dig it out. Ken

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011

3. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

I like that a lot better then the shorter ones not enough reach

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

thanks. he got 2 bronze stars over there in 3 tours. its a very very sturdy bayonet the point is almost surgical sharp with absolutely no looseness in the handle. i keep it near my xbox on my downstairs desk in case i need it.

im not a bayonet expert by any stretch it just didnt appear to be one since the only ones ive ever seen have the wire cutters. ive got an older one with the red bakelite sheath. dont remember where i got it or why since im not a AK fan never liked em. prolly got it in a gunshow trade at some point.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

ahh cool so it is a ak bayonet then. thats what my bud said the taliban scum had.

6. HKSlinger

HKSlinger Member

Yeper. First used by the Pols in 1957

7. marysdad

marysdad Member

The pictured bayonet is Bulgarian for the early AK rifles. Good points of identification are: orientation of the serial number on pommel and double rivets securing the hilt strap.

Polish bayonets had the serial number on the lower tang (between the grip scales) and had a unique scabbard design with a detachable belt hanger.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

thanks got those pages bookmarked. i buy an occasional bayonet at gunshows when they attract my attention. i seldom know what they are.

9. HKSlinger

HKSlinger Member

I didn't mean to misinform you. I was mistaken.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

np it was close!!