Help with 38Spec. +p

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Gubba, May 18, 2009.

1. Gubba

Gubba New Member

I am going to load 38 specials +p, S&W revolver. The bullets are 125gr FPBB lead/silver. The only powder I have on hand is Power Pistol and Bullseye. I having trouble cross referencing amounts for the charge. I had done some for plinking at about 3.8gr of Bulleye, but it felt like a "paper only" charge. HELP!

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Some manuals have +P loads listed. DO NOT simply up the charge to come up with what you think may be a +P load. Some powders can have pressure spikes that are unpredictable and catastrophic.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

It is not just a case of "How much powder before it gets dangerous". If you are shooting a LEAD bullet, ONE limit is how fast you can drive it before it starts stripping thru the rifling, leading the hell out of the bore, and being VERY inaccurate. Jacket metal is harder, does not strip as easily. RARELY is the hottest load the most accurate.

Powder charge anounts and pressures generated are NOT a straight line- they are points plotted on a curve. Pressures are affected by a LOT of things- like the VOLUME in the case. A .357 mag case and a .38 Special case will give different pressures with the same powder charge and same bullet. .308 Winchester brass and 7.62 NATO brass have different internal volumes (due to thickness of brass, etc)

Do some research on line with the powder companies- some of my manuals DO list +P loads- but even a +P+ load in a .38 Special is still a ways from a .357 Mag load. If ya really want high energies, get a 357.

4. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 New Member

+P Lead bullets??

On a personal note, I do not load lead bullets to +P pressures,fps. If you want max. speed/pressures, stick to jacketed bullets. Or spend hrs. on De-Leading your barrel.:p:D

5. Gubba

Gubba New Member

I'm not concerned with max pressures and thus far and really have not gotten into the +p range. The 3 1/2 gr. of Bullseye is accurate enough for "target" and is really easy on the hands with the "snubby", but was wondering what others have found to work for them, as this particular loading wouldn't dent a mouse at 3yds. Thanks.

6. Gubba

Gubba New Member

Wow, Thanks. This appears to be a great resource. Any help from those who know to those who want to know is so nice and I think much safer. Re-inventing the wheel, can sometimes cause a wheel to fall off. Not good with things that expode. Thanks again.

7. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

What are you shooting? Vampires?

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Naw Ray, that would be 125gr FPBB lead/silver/garlic.

9. Gubba

Gubba New Member

I dipped them all in garlic but couldn't take the back draft so I stopped dipping. Listen, I have not been attacked by a vampire, so it must be working.

10. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

LOL - Is there any truth to the rumor that wooden practice bullets with little crosses etched in them work on Vampires?

11. Gubba

Gubba New Member

Well, it's interesting you should ask this deep and thoughtful question. I wanted to keep my silver, for my Lone Ranger Bullets, so tried the little wood bullets (forgot to etch the cross into them) with very spotty results. I do think I may invented a new weapon however. Those suckers were on FIRE when they came out'a the barrel. I could start a grass fire from 100 yds without adjusting for windage. Pretty cool actually. Tough to load and whittle to shape though.

12. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

I had a bunch for my Swedish Mauser Mod. 38. The gun had a threaded muzzle and came with what looked like a typical "bird-cage" flash suppressor with no exit hole drilled. When I inquired about what this device was, I was told it was a practice device used with wooden bullets. Apparently the bullets would disintegrate and blow the saw dust out of the cut-outs. I found wooden practice ammo at a gun show and bought some just for the hell of it.

13. Gubba

Gubba New Member

Now who's weird? LOL I bought wooden nickels once too.

14. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Do not use Bullseye for anything other than light target loads.
    :eek::eek:

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Welcome masterPsmith, glad to have you here!

Care to elaborate on the Bullseye wave-off for anything other than light loads? [​IMG]

16. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

I will go a little further and state light to moderate loads only. Bullseye, being one of the fastest burning powders out there will build pressures quickly. I have had .38 revolvers in the past come into my shop with the cylinder blown apart. On two separate times, both guys were loading 2.8 gr. under a 158gr swc and accidentally double charged for 5.6gr. , one of them resulted in severe injuries to the shooter's hand and face. With the fast burn rate, low powder density and large air space, pressures can spike dangerously. Just use care in loading with Bullseye. I have been loading with Bullseye for about 43 years.
    Jim..............