Help with 1906 9mm luger ID

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by gorsej22, Nov 14, 2013.

1. gorsej22

gorsej22 New Member

Hello, grandfather bought a handgun from his friend that was in World War II and was wondering if anyone could give me more information about this pistol. The only information I was able to find is that it is Dutch from the words "rust" next to the safety and that it is a 9mm luger perhaps made by the company DMW

Thanks,

Justin

Attached Files:

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Why are magazines printed with future dates? :confused:

3. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

That is a rare DWM 1906 Grip Safety Luger. In nice shape it would be valued at around $3,000 bucks. This gun has been badly damaged by having the finish buffed off. Some one ruined it by cleaning off the original finish and did a very poor job. It may bring $600 on a good day.
    If it were mine I would have it rebuilt by a German Arms company that specialize in saving these guns. I would expect to pay about $1,000 dollars to have this done. :)

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luger_pistol

That will tell you a bit about the Luger, and Deutsch Waffen und Munition Fabriken. Your pistol is not likely Dutch, but German. Think the word you read on the safety is Geischert, German for Safe.

5. gorsej22

gorsej22 New Member

No it definitely says "rust" parallel to the safety

6. gorsej22

gorsej22 New Member

After restoring it for around $1,000 how much could it be worth then .... $3,000 range?

It was bought for $25.00 in the 50's and has maybe 20 rounds shot through it. Shooting is flawless.

7. gorsej22

gorsej22 New Member

Here............... image-2683179640.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  8. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

You are correct it is a gun that was issued by Holland. The Dutch East India Company used these guns in the tropics. They were often in bad shape. The safety and arrow marked "Rust" above the safety.
    You would have one fine rare luger for $1,000 dollars or less. That is a dream.:) I would like to have it for my collection. Maybe this link can educate you on your rare find.:)

http://phoenixinvestmentarms.com/History Book/671dutchKL.htm

9. gorsej22

gorsej22 New Member

Thank you for your information. Going to look into restoring it to original. Surprisingly good accuracy at 15 yards comparing it to a 3rd gen glock 19

10. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

It is not fair to compare a modern molded plastic pistol to the Luger. The lost art of superior engineering and hands on metal art that went into the Luger is gone. :( We should try to save all the Lugers we can they are works of art.;)

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

As has been said this is an early Luger issued by the Dutch military and Rust means safe.

Before doing anything with it I'd join http://www.lugerforum.com and post good pictures in their discussion forums. Jan Stills also has a Luger forum. You'll get answers from scores of Luger experts, some who specialize in the Dutch/Vickers pistols.

I would NOT rework or refinish it yet until you get dozens of opinions from the Luger sites. Honest wear, especially in a hundred year old firearm, is better than sand blasting/rebluing. This is a piece of history and everything that's happened to it probably is honest, refinishing it destroys that.

I wouldn't shoot it for now until your pictures are examined at lugerforum, there seems to be damage to the receiver ears (bent) plus it's just so darn old. Now that doesn't mean it's unsafe, just get expert advice. I do shoot my 1913 DWM 100 rounds a year but it's a common P08 model with mismatched parts so if something breaks (and it has) I can replace with another unmatching numbered part. Yours may have matching numbers.

Good luck and we'd love to see more pictures!!!

12. gorsej22

gorsej22 New Member

The serial number on the gun is 13084 all matching ...... But on a serial number lookup I cannot find anything with these serial numbers range.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  13. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

This luger has already been crudely sanded or buffed. And the damaged rear toogle would also be replaced. These guns were reblued and refinished by the Dutch every 6 years. The new finishs never matched the orginal matt.
    "Rust" means Rest as to the safety arrow stamps.:)

14. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Good points, nite! The engineering and craftsmanship that went into Lugers is something to behold. Alas, it's just not feasible to do today at a competitive price. Other than a really good retro 1911, they just don't build 'EM like they used to!

15. gorsej22

gorsej22 New Member

This is what I was able to look up on 2013 blue book. 1st line

Attached Files:

16. gorsej22

gorsej22 New Member

Better picture

Attached Files:

17. Quentin

Quentin New Member

All matching numbers? Don't shoot it or do anything till you have the guys at Lugerforum look over your pics. They won't steer you wrong.

18. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The deep wavy buffing has really hurt this pistols value. The corners are rounded and numbers also.It is a shame these are rare Lugers.:)

19. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

I saw a special on the military channel about Lugers and a modern day gunsmith is building them again from scratch. As you can imagine, it takes an incredible amount of artistry. Each gun is made by hand and while he has perfected the process and set up his own small factory in his garage, he can only produce a small amount of pistols each year. I was going to get on the waiting list until I saw the price - It was over $2K

It should be a crime to even mention a Luger in the same sentence with a Glock. Gaston has even bothered to correct his original design errors and this has resulted in many "Kaboom Stories."

My Gaston Glock impression:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013