Help, Weird Malfunction.

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Jstrong, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

I was shooting my newly traded-for CAI galil that was sent through Jeff miller (highly praised builder over at the Uzi forums) at hillbilly firearns for a complete rework.

Had a few double feeds,one of which was operator error ( little sister had to try to rack the charging handle two or three times to get it) the other was when I was shooting it. These don't bother me much,Jeff said his warranty goes with the gun and specifically said to call after I shoot it with a report.

Anywho,I had some downright strange failure to go into battery malfunctions. I would try to shoot it to find that it was stuck at half battery,and I had to use lean the charging handle on a table and charge the whole gun to get it to cycle the action only to find what seemed to be an elongated 5.56 cartridge with a inset bullet,but what really happened was that the previous casing had split clean in half when shot and the bolt had extracted the bottom half and then fed a new live round into the top (case neck)half of the previous casing that was left in the chamber,needless to say this is what caused it to fail to return to battery.

Pictures are fuzzy bc it's on an iPhone and I'm riding in a car right now but here's a visual if it helps anybody.

image-1041049709.jpg

image-3443842162.jpg

image-812540875.jpg

image-454762099.jpg

I've never seen malfunctions like this,and just wondered if anybody knew what is going on.

Will be emailing Jeff about it later to see what he has to say about it,but a part of me thinks it could be crappy brass?.

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

3. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

4. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I always look for the simplest explanation first. Because I'm simple. :(

5. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

Is it hand loaded ammo or factory?
    Did any rounds function properly? Go bang!

Best guess's
    Maybe a fitment issue with chamber... a bit of galling left behind or worse????
    Maybe a sizing issue with the ammo. If hand load then the shoulder might need to come back a hair more (RCBS X die)

6. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Factory Remington UMC ammo. And yes most of the ammo went off fine,but out of one magazine I had at least 4 or 5 malfunctions. 2 were where the case head separated.

7. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

No signs of stress on the fired brass?

Yeah your on the right track to have the custom smith look over the rifle and that magazine. Depending on his report.. I'd contact Rem about the lot # etc of that box of ammo, let them know you have your rifle professionally inspected . Never know what you may find out. Save your pics, malfunctions, spent brass, ammo left, original box, and sales receipt etc....

8. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

I had the same issue with Remington UMC ammo in my AR. I know it is a different gun but the cartridge looked exactly the same. Buy some different ammo and see what happens.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

Looks like its hanging on the magazine and getting crunched.

Very hard to tell without clear pics of the round in the gun in a jammed condition.

10. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

When it was jammed it looked just like a regular round that just failed to go into battery all the way,there was about a half inch visible. I believe it got crunched when I had to forcibly cycle the action on a picnic table bc it was jammed into the other case head so tight I could not cycle it by hand.

11. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Thanks I'm beginning to think this may be more of an ammo issue than the gun. weak cases seem to be predominately the cause of case separation from what I'm reading.

12. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Jstrong,

My take is it is an ammunition problem. If it is not "one certain magazine" that is making this occur. But the bottom line is you are very lucky that what happened is all that happened. I think what you saw was that the casing was being damaged first of all and the fact that the bullet was recessing in the case is the reasons for the cases coming apart or being split. In fact it says something for the quality of the weapon and the builder. It is a wonder it did not blow up! The recessed bullet in the casing is the number one cause of catastrophic events (Blow Ups) happening today. The way I see it is a magazine problem followed by poor quality ammunition manufacturing. If all the other ammunition is working properly in all your magazines then it is definitely an ammunition issue. Followed by then get rid of the junk! :D It is a disaster waiting to happen!

13. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

What your seeing isn't actually a recessed bullet,but I thought it was at first too and it scared me because I know of the over pressure dangers that can occur with an overseated bullet. What it actually is one bullet firing,the case splitting in half, leaving the front end of the case In the chamber,while the rear side of the casing is extracted and ejected,the next bullet is then fed into the chamber and into the leftover half of the previous casing,and then fails to go into battery,which causes a failure to fire.

Think if you took some fired brass and cut it in half in the middle, and then took the case neck end and shoved it over a different unfired cartridge,that would replicate exactly what was going on,except instead of the case being cut it was separating under the firing pressures. Reloaders apparently have to check twice and thrice fired brass for weak spots so this doesn't happen.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  14. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Pardon me if I missed it, what mags did you use, milsurp or polymer, and did you try mags from another supplier.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  15. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

I was using a polymer tapco mag when I got the case seperation, and got a double feed on a steel milsurp galil mag. But after those few malfunctions it kinda scared me into hanging it up for the day until I could figure out what the deal was.