help w/ an enfield

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by dutyranger, Jun 25, 2014.

1. dutyranger

dutyranger New Member

hey guys, hoping someone can help me out ID'ing a lee enfield. sorry, no pictures. i just got an enfield from my father in law. i know there are magazines in the house but the mother in law can't find them right now and the house is 2000 miles away so i can't really go find them myself. so i'm hoping to pick up some aftermarket mags for the rifle. i'm completely new to enfields. i know there are several different numbers and several different marks. the only aftermarket mags that i've seen are from pro mag, which i hate. but it's not a duty carry gun so i can mess with the mags and tweek till they feed right. pro mag has 2 different mags for enfields that i can tell. i just need to figure out which 1's to get. so on to ID'ing the gun. there are stamps all over the gun. i think the stamp on the wrist is probably the most significant. it's stamped:
    crown (picture not word)
    G.R.
    B.S.A.C (looks like a little, underlined 0)
    SHTLE
    III (can't tell if its a star of david or an asterisk)

so let me know if that stamp tells anybody anything. or if there's any other info that i need to provide to determine No1MkIII, etc, etc. The gun has been sporterized so I don't really see any collectible value to it. i'm actually thinking of cutting it down to a 16" gun just to bang around the truck. If anybody has any better suggestions than the pro mag mags I'm all ears. thanks for any help you all can provide.

2. GR = George Rex
    BSAC = British Small Arms Company
    1918 = year of original manufacture
    SHTLE = Short Lee Enfield
    [​IMG]

Per Wikipedia, "...During the First World War, the standard SMLE Mk III was found to be too complicated to manufacture (an SMLE Mk III rifle cost the British Government £3/15/-), and demand was outstripping supply, so in late 1915 the Mk III* was introduced, which incorporated several changes, the most prominent of which were the deletion of the magazine cut-off, and the long range volley sights. The windage adjustment capability of the rear sight was also dispensed with, and the cocking piece was changed from a round knob to a serrated slab. Rifles with some or all of these features present are found, as the changes were implemented at different times in different factories and as stocks of existing parts were used."

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014

3. [​IMG]
    Enfield (or Ishapore in this case) Scouts can be fun, especially if the barrels have been properly shortened. This isn't mine; mine wears a FN-FAL flash supressor because you never know when you need to put a bayonet on a carbine.

4. samnev

samnev New Member

There are a few Mk I No III surplus magazines for sale on Gunbroker @$47+. IIRC Mk 4 No I mags do not work in your Mk I No III.

5. dutyranger

dutyranger New Member

Ok this helped some. The asterisk on the last line of my stamp doesn't look like this. I'm gonna guess it's a star of david. So I guess I've got a MkIII rifle. How do I tell which number? I've looked at the all about enfields site. Maybe it's just me but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for in there. Anybody know an easy way to determine which number of rifle you've got?

And the crown on mine is different than this 1 if that means anything.

6. dutyranger

dutyranger New Member

This is a good looking rifle. I don't think I can do this to mine though. My rear site is mounted to the barrel where the scout mount would go. I'm not willing to give up my irons for optics. I've heard some of the other enfields had their rear sight mounted to the back of the reciever. Could you give me a close up of the rear site to see if it would be possible to do to mine?

Disregard: I just saw it wasn't yours. If yours is set up the same way as far as scout mount and rear site, a picture showing how your rear site is mounted would be great. Thanks.

7. JWagner

JWagner New Member

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Sort of like "Why do the British drink warm beer?"

A. Lucas also makes refrigerators...... :D

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I thought BSA was Birmingham Small Arms.

10. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Does it look like this ?......... 90635F25FiCYRrmkhZzvBJz5oUrijLofli7lysE.jpg It`s an asterisk !.........It depends on where it was built to what the asterisk looks like.

11. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

mine is a No. 1, Mk. 1, I bought an aftermarket mag for a No. 1 Mk. III from sportsmans guide. it says it's a 10 rounder like the originals but mine only seems to hold 8. oh well, 8 is still plenty of .303

12. dutyranger

dutyranger New Member

That's the stamp on the wrist of mine, except dated 1918. So it's a Mk3* then. Since my rear sight is the long range type mounted on the barrel, is it safe to say it's a No1? So all together I've got a No1Mk3*. If everything I'm reading is correct. Holy cow there's a lot of variants of this gun. So the pro mag No1Mk3 mags should work in my gun correct?

Anybody got any opinions on the pro mag mags? I haven't had very good luck with them in the past, but from what I gather it sounds like there just needs to be some tweaking of the feed lips. Other than that, are they worth the money for some beater woods or range use mags?

Thanks guys.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  13. dutyranger

dutyranger New Member

Also, the scout from earlier in the thread has me intrigued. Is it possible to move my rear sight from the barrel to the rear of the receiver to make room for a scout mount?

14. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

No !..................

15. dutyranger

dutyranger New Member

Let me rephrase that question, is it possible to put a completely different rear sight on my receiver and remove the sight on my barrel. It's pretty obvious just by the size of my current rear sight that I couldn't move it to the receiver. The shortness of this answer makes me wonder if that was how my question was taken. So are there any other receiver mounted rear sight options available for this model of enfield? Thanks.

16. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

No, not really I only know of one other way & it is expensive !..................
    http://www.rifleman.org.uk/PH_Service_sights.htm

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  17. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

now, now. my beezer never stalled or leaked oil. it just coughed a lot and marked it's territory. ;) my morton is the same way.

if you want an enfield with the rear sight on the back of the receiver, look for a p 17. us made in .30-06. other than that, it ain't gonna happen.

18. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

That would be a Pattern 14 or a 1917 or a No4 or a No5 all of em have sights on the rear of the receiver !....................