Help PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by daddysgirl, Nov 27, 2011.

1. daddysgirl

daddysgirl New Member

I am a 27 year old daughter of an ex-marine and I need your help............I am looking for a gun for my dad, I cannot find one for sale anywhere. My father owned a Ruger .480 revolver when I was a kid. A decade ago he sold this gun to help put food on the table after he had both legs amputated due to a hunting accident (fell from treestand). I know that this gun meant a lot to him, I would love to get it back for him for Christmas this year, but I cannot find it anywhere. I have searched the world over and am starting to lose hope. If you can help me out with this dilemna I would greatly appreciate it. I need to do this for my dad, I need to give him back something that he gave up so that my sister and I could survive.........Please help

2. fireguy

fireguy New Member

There are two listed on Gunsamerica.com. There are several on armslist.com as well. I don't know what state you are in, but good luck.

3. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Contact sturm ruger and see what they have to help you ma'am. As a side note swing over to the intro section and tell us abit about yourself

4. daddysgirl

daddysgirl New Member

the armslist.com one says I must have a FOID card??? LOL wth is that?........sorry, I am truly an idiot

5. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Firearms Owner ID card. Also this is a place to learn. Everyone on here learns something reguarly if not everyday.

6. daddysgirl

daddysgirl New Member

I have family in Illinois an am checking to see if he has this card........is it easy to transfer ownership?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  7. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I dont know about IL laws on it but ya usually. If you are buying it on line then i might be wrong but i think you have to pay the ffl fees and shipping on top of the gun/tax.

8. daddysgirl

daddysgirl New Member

awesome......thank you!

9. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Your welcome. Id ask a few more people though if i were you ma'am

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Hi there! Basic primer on buying a modern day firearm- if gun is crossing a state line, it must be shipped to a dealer in the state of the person receiving the gun. We can help you find a list of dealers that have signed up to do transfers.

FOID- Firearm Owners ID Card- requirement for the state of Illinois ONLY. If gun is going to anyone in Illinois, by state law, they must have one before they can touch a gun.

PS- NEVER use term Ex-Marine. They tend to get all red faced. Term is FORMER Marine. Ex Marine is one who has been booted out. (Dad of a retired Marine here)

11. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Very true. Once you are one of the few you ARE ALWAYS one of the brotherhood.

12. daddysgirl

daddysgirl New Member

My apologies! I think that my dad would probably get red about that too:) I didn't think about it just trying to get help and not sound too stupid.......no disrespect usmc!

13. murraywc

murraywc New Member

there are also a couple on gunbroker.com all you usually have to do is find an ffl listed in your area ask them the laws on transfering it to you and have it shipped to them. they usually charge around $35 I have one here that will do it for $20 most of you pawn shops are ffl as well.

14. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

None taken ma'am

15. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

DG, I live in Illinois and you have to have a FOID card to purchase a gun here in Illinois. It is a $10 fee and an application needs to be filled out.

click here for application

If you are hoping to get this for him by Christmas, I don't think you'll have your FOID card in time to purchase a gun for him as a Christmas present but I'm sure he'll love the gun whenever he gets it. You are a very thoughtful and loving daughter.

I call every Marine (former or presently serving) a Marine. I thought 'once a Marine, always a Marine. No such thing as a 'former Marine', I thought.

16. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Thats what we are woc-marines. Whether in or out of service

17. murraywc

murraywc New Member

Are you still in Ohio? If so you need to check with a local ffl. You should be able to have it shipped from anywhere

18. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

KEERECT :rolleyes:
    SEMPER FI