Help on revolver purchase

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Powersportgiant, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Powersportgiant

Powersportgiant New Member

My local FFL is having a sale this weekend with the Taurus model 85 air weight for $199.95. They are also selling the judge public defender for $344.95. Price seems great, any thoughts or suggestions on these pistols?

2. Buckeyeborn

Buckeyeborn New Member

I think the 85 is a good deal and useful too but I am ok
    with Tarus revolvers

3. ahole

ahole New Member

damn 200 bucks for a decent hand gun alwas a deal.

4. Powersportgiant

Sounds like it. Thanks for the input

5. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I stay clear of Taurus, because they're firearms are generally 75% miss and 25% hit. For that price though there's not much reason not to give it a shot.

6. Powersportgiant

Any reason why, I hear mixed reviews, seems like most wheeled guns are pretty simple and go bang when the trigger is pulled. Have you had a bad experience ?

7. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

The reason for mixed reviews is, because Taurus along with several other companies tend to be hit or misses with their firearms. I don't like to take a gamble on whether or not I'll be buying a good quality firearm or just get a firearm that is going to be nothing but problematic. I personally do not have experience with Taurus other than handling them in the shop I work at and from customer's experiences with Taurus. I have fired a Rossi revolver, which Rossi is a sub division of Taurus if I recall correctly, and it would jam after every shot. Now revolvers in general function very well, but like all mechanical devices can and will fail at some point. Revolvers can be more susceptable to dirt and fouling. If a revolver does jam it can be very hard to fix, because when they jam generally the cylinder locks up which is very hard to unlock at that point. One other thing to note is if you have a bullet move just a tad out of the cartridge case it can lock up the cylinder. Important to note that all this is a rare occurance with revolvers.

8. Powersportgiant

I do value this opinion where this revolver would be for CCW. I am used to glock and very comfortable on their reliability. Don't want a firearm on my side that has potential for a FTF.

9. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

If you want a good quality .357 magnum revolver I recommend getting either a used Model 19 Smith and Wesson, Smith and Wesson Model 686, or Ruger GP100.

10. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Allow for this video to show the benefit of having a Public Defender.
    The more I see this (a friend owns one as well) the more I want one.

[ame=http://youtu.be/ttFslPwNEuc]Taurus Judge 45LC/410 Home Defense - YouTube[/ame]

11. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

How many Taurus products have you owned.

12. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

None, as I stated my observations/opinon is based on my experience from handling them, other forum members experiences/opinions, and from customer experiences/opinions at the shop I work at.

13. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

That being said...

There's nothing wrong with Taurus. Of the 7 I've owned, I had trouble with one of them, a service model 24/7 9mm. It was fixed by Taurus, and no problems since.

My PT92AFS has 19,000 rounds through it in the last 13 years, still accurate, still functions as new.

My experience of those who condemn Taurus, very few own or have owned one.

14. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The problems I had were with the semi autos. The 85 was one of the good ones. At $200 I would grab 2.

15. Powersportgiant

Good feedback as well. I am leaning towards the public defender instead of the 38 special. Any suggestions there ?