Help on decision for 2nd handgun

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by gerres26, Apr 12, 2010.

1. gerres26

gerres26 New Member

Hey guys I'm new to this forum but I've been scanning the site for a while now and I'm just looking for some guidance on my next gun purchase.

Ive been into guns since I was little but last year when I turned 21 I bought my first pistol(Taurus 24/7 9mm) but now I'm wanting a 40 cal to go with it. I'm looking at the PX4 Storm, the FNP40, and the Sig P250.
    Any suggestions or pros and cons of each gun is much appreciated.

2. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Hi gerres26, stop by the introductions section and tell us about yourself.
    Out of those you listed, I personally prefer the Sig, it feels great in my hand.
    I recommend you go to a gun shop and handle them and see what feels best to you.
    May I also recommend taking a look at a Springfield XD or XDM, as far as plastic guns go, they're about the best IMO and the trigger pull is better than the DAO Sig p250.

3. gerres26

gerres26 New Member

Will do...as far as the xdm, I do like the gun but the last dealer I was at wanted 730 bucks for the stainless and 700 for the black model and that seemed high to me. They wanted 560 for the px4 which seemed like a good price..I live in maryland so I'm not sure how the prices are here compared to other states.

4. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Does your dealer accept transfers?
    If so, just fondle the guns at the dealer until you've found what you like, then check around on the internet, if you find what you want at a decent price, buy it and have it shipped to the dealer and just pay the dealers transfer fee if it'll save you money.

5. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

I just recently bought an XDM 40 bi-tone SS/Black online for $570 + $25 shipping and $10 FFL (with 2 extra mags = 4 total, my total was about $667).

6. gerres26

gerres26 New Member

I can't buy online from what I've heard because in maryland in order to buy a new handgun, it must be shipped with a spent shell and for some reason only dealers in maryland will do that.

I was at a dealer in delaware one day just handling guns to see what I liked and once he found out I was from maryland he didn't want anything to do with me and wouldnt let me check out anymore guns.

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Welcome to the FTF Community - The guys here usually like to have an introduction from the new guys so they can learn a little about you, your experiences and the like. It's your choice....

What are you looking for the pistol to do FOR YOU? I don't care what your friend wants it to do for you, or what your significant other doesn't want it to be, what do YOU want this pistol to do for you?

You have a reliable weapon, but I presume it's 9mm and you are wanting to step up in caliber.

Now, the .40 S&W is a cartridge that was developed for a reason. That reason was the FBI wanted a cartridge that offered a hard hitting round like the .45ACP, but in a "smaller" package that didn't jar the small handed shooters, and had the ability to pack more than 7 or 8 rounds into a compact pistol.

I bought into this cartridge hook, line and sinker when it first came out. My first pistol that I purchased with my own money was a Sig Sauer in .40 S&W.

I carried that pistol for close to a decade. Shoulder rig, small of the back, FBI Cant, backpack, truck gun - all types of situations.

I never had any problems with the gun, and I never had to use it for it's intended purpose, so I can't tell you if the .40 S&W round is the best round out there.

I made the move to the .45ACP round in a very traditional platform and I have not regretted it or looked back.

Personally I love the .45ACP round. It hits hard and leaves a big hole. The .40 S&W does hit hard, but I just PERSONALLY like the larger round.

Now, of the weapons you have listed, I have ZERO shooting experience with the Storm or the FNP40. I have handled them in the shop and have stripped them at SHOT, but I haven't been impressed enough to actually rent one to shoot. Can't help you there I am afraid.

The Sig is one that I have handled, and I have shot it at the range.

While I like the Sig line, I was not a big fan of this pistol. The rounds went on target where I wanted to put them, for the most part, but the controls were less than comfortable to reach without taking the weapon off line/off target.

I understand where they are going with this pistol, with the ability to interchange calibers and make the pistol fit more than one category. That's great for marketing - but for an end line user, I would like to see less categories filled, and a more dynamic pistol.

At the price I have seen for this pistol I would say perhaps you should go to a range that rents a lot of handguns and try a few more .40 S&W options.

Good luck.

JD

8. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

Can't buy a gun outside your state.

I like my S&W M&P .40 cal.
    I have the compact model (40c).
    I Never leave home without it. ;)

9. gerres26

gerres26 New Member

the gun is going to be used for home defense since theres no chance of carrying in MD...I figure the 40 has good stopping power and is alot cheaper to shoot at the range than a 45, I'm basically looking for a good 40 cal for about $650 but it seems its gonna be slim picking in my state for that price

10. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

...you could go used...

11. gerres26

gerres26 New Member

there are alot of pawn shops in my area...do you think that would be a bad way to go since theres no telling what those guns have been through?

12. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Mine was shipped with the test/spent casing.

13. General_lee

General_lee New Member

I know these guns catch a lot of hell from a bunch of people soley because of their DA revolver like trigger pull, but have you considered a S&W Sigma .40? I don't know about in MD, but they're usually under $400. If you don't mind the trigger, they're great, reliable guns.. I used to have one.
    Oh BTW, I think a lot, if not most handguns are sent with a spent casing now, my Sigma came with one. Rock Island Armory 1911's come with spent casings too.

14. NGIB

NGIB New Member

In many ways I agree with JD in that the .40 S&W round was an answer to a question that wasn't asked. I do have 2 .40s for one reason - ammo is available everywhere - even during shortages. I've never been a fan of the recoil impulse of the .40 as I find it very snappy with more muzzle flip than a .45 - even in the same size & weight gun. In any event, there are a lot of good guns out there and I agree that the used market may be the place to look.

I'm a fan of the classic Sigs (one of my .40s is a P229) and I also think the Springer XDs are a great gun and a good value. Never tried an XDm as it was never worth the higher price to me. Lots of folks like the S&W M&P and I agree that the Sigma is a reliable gun with a really bad trigger. If they fit your hand, you can always go with a Glock 22 or 23 - as they are what comes to mind for many when you say "forty"...

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  15. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

I checked gun shows and pawnshops before purchasing and the prices are more, even the used ones. Some pawnshops asked me my price and I gave them the actual best internet price for new pistol and none of them can touch it.

16. Yunus

Yunus New Member

They are higher than what you see on the internet. Gunshows are your best bet for price but even then it can be a pain because of the 8 day wait. You buy your gun at the show from a dealer in Maryland then you wait 8 days to go pick it up, might be a several hour long drive, option B is to have the gun shipped to an FFL near you and pay shipping + FFL transfer fees. Gungenie is a decent way to go but there are other problems with that. A lot of manufacturers do not include the fired shell casing, if they don't gun genie will not ship to MD. Gungenie will tell you "there is a problem shipping this to your area" or something like that, it means no shell casing

You can buy a gun without a spent shell casing in MD, because some FFL's are able to fire the gun for you to make the spent shell casing, but add another $50 or so for that + you have to buy it from them or have it shipped to them so it's not cheap.

About the PX4 storm, I don't know if it has the same trigger as the CX4 (carbine) but if it does, that is the worst trigger I have ever used.

17. opaww

opaww New Member

A lot of people have their favorite handguns and they tend to forget other quality guns out there on the market.

My son just bought a Jericho .40 S&W with 4 mags for just under $500, though retail price runs about $500-$550 new with 1 mag. you can find some good deals on it.

Between him and I we have already run about 250 rounds through it and not one problem, very accurate. It has a good feel in the hand, and a crisp recoil with the .40 S&W. The trigger pull is just a tad bit light if you have children so make sure you tend the weapon at all times and if not then lock it up.

18. utf59

utf59 New Member

gerres26,

I don't think one point has been made clear. You can buy online from someone out of state as long as the spent casing is shipped with the gun. You may not physically (in person) buy from a dealer in another state (i.e., your trip to a dealer in Delaware). So if you look at a site like gunbroker.com, you can check the description or contact the seller about the spent casing.

On gunbroker (don't know about other sites) you can also check for FFLs in your area who can do the transfer for you. Some dealers charge a percentage of the value of the gun when you do a transfer if you don't buy it from them, so that's worth checking out.

19. gerres26

gerres26 New Member

Thanks for all the help and suggestions so far...I'm gonna check out gunbroker and see what they have to offer and I'll go from there...so if the gun has a spent casing with it and i buy online, do they still have to ship it to a dealer or can they ship directly to me?

20. NGIB

NGIB New Member

FFL (dealer) only.

Do not, repeat do not purchase a gun online before you work out the details with the receiving FFL. Also, I recommend you talk to the FFL face to face and get all the details as you want no surprises to occur after you've spent your money...