Help, need a handgun for my wife

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by swazispencer, Jan 18, 2013.

1. swazispencer

swazispencer New Member

Hey folks, this is my first post on the forum. I'll give you a little background. Im a 23 year old Southern California resident, I've never owned a firearm, but I've fired my fair share of different guns. I am purchasing my first home in a couple months, and I am prepared to acquire a small arsenal of guns to defend it, and my 2nd Amendment right.

So with all that said, I'd like to get my wife her very own handgun. I looked at a few different small guns, because she is small,(5'2"-120lbs). She's also fired a handful of guns. She's definitely not afraid to shoot. But I think a gun with too much kick would intimidate her.

What do you guys recommend?

Also, if you have any recommendations for me concerning a handgun let me know.

Thanks. God Bless America.

2. davva360

davva360 New Member

The best thing to do is find a range that rents guns and go try a few.

There are a lot of good manufacturers out there so it usually ends up as personal choice due to the way it feels. If you stick to major players like Glock, Ruger, Smith and Wesson, Springfield, Sig Sauer etc they all make good quality pistols.

In my case, I bought my first handgun last year. I researched what was out there and came up with a short list. Then I shot the ones I was considering at the range. I ended up with a Ruger SR9c and I love it.

3. Renegade44

Renegade44 New Member

It's going to be her gun. Let her pick it out. If she likes the way a. 380 feels shoot a couple and gun up to 9mm just to see if she prefers the more solid feel of a larger frame. Keep in mind, is this going to be a range gun or just a home defense only gun. If it's going to be something she shoots regularly, I'll bet she'll go larger than a. 380. She may like a revolver over a semi-auto. Let it be here choice.

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

The above posts have excellent advice. I'm more of a revolver guy. The big advantage of a revolver is the ability to shoot a variety of ammo. A .357 mag can also shoot 38 special, 38 long and short Colt. A .327 mag revolver can shoot .327 mag, 32 H&R Mag, 32 S&W long and short. If she looks at autos make sure she can open the action(rack the slide) without to much effort.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Welcome to the Firearmstalkforum.

I would suggest also to check out some local firearms ranges. Talk with the people there.

Get some proper firearms training! Getting with a bunch of buddies to shoot in a gravel pit is not the best way to learn.
    You and your wife will learn how to properly handle a firearm and some tricks on how to use them. There are techniques to handling firearms that are taught by certified instructors that could change your mind about larger caliber firearms.

Be safe!

6. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

^^^^^^^^^^^

7. sergei100

sergei100 New Member

After my wife got her concealed carry permit we when down to the gun shop and had her try out the feel of handling different weapons. She when with a S&W Bodyguard 38 because she couldn't rack the slide easily on the other guns and not having a exposed hammer it wouldn't accidentally catch on something, plus she liked the integrated laser which it came with.

8. swazispencer

swazispencer New Member

Thanks for the input folks. On Monday I'll take her to a couple firearms stores nearby.

9. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I think first thing to know is what trigger type you each prefer, long or short pull. Do you want a hidden hammer or a manual hammer? From there I can perhaps make a recommendation. Also will they be for home defense only or carry pieces as well? Do you value manual safety or none?

10. swazispencer

swazispencer New Member

These are some good pointers. I am considering a Ruger LC9 but I've read it's got a very long trigger pull. I've never fired one so I don't know what to expect. Any help would be appreciated.

11. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I haven't handled an LC9. I did have an SR9C and it was an excellent pistol.

Your best bet (as a married man ;)) is to have your wife handle as many handguns as possible. She'll definitely figure out which ones feel best. Then try and find a range that rents guns and have her shoot them or guns that are as close as possible.

Remind her that smaller guns recoil more and while they are easier to carry, they can be a pain to shoot. If she doesn't enjoy shooting it, she won't practice and she needs to practice.

12. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Some like the trigger pull of these over produced plastic DAO pocketers, some don't. I hate long triggers and look for the shortest possible. The LC9 is the worst I've ever experienced. Not even, mushy and a mile.

Go to a shop and ask if you can dry fire some guns or go to a range that rents. That's the best advice you can get.

13. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I would try to check out a bersa thunder 380. My mom just bought one and it was the only one she could rack the slide on. Its also sa/da.

14. swazispencer

swazispencer New Member

I apologize, I'm new to all of this firearms talk, what's sa/da?

15. Renegade44

Renegade44 New Member

Single action/double action

16. Mongo

Mongo Active Member Supporter

It must fit her hand. I know it's expensive to rent pistols for try out but you could buy something you/she doesn't like. (My sister bought a "Lady Smith" with the laser sight and she can't handle the recoil. She wants my brother inlaw to take it for his pistol but he doesn't want a Lady Smith.) I'm on his side here.

17. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

Sorry, like renegade said its single/double action. The bersa is a pretty cool gun designed similar to a walther ppk and they have a lot of replacement parts on their website. I think they are used in the police force overseas somewhere.

18. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

My wife is about the same size as yours but considerably older. (If she reads this I am in trouble.) She has a Ruger SR9c. They run about $400 plus fees. The grip on the SR9c is smaller than some other pistols and it fits her hand better. She had it for a month before she let me shoot it and I bought one for myself after shooting hers. Big advantage in matched pistols. You can pick up either one and not be confused as well the mags fitting both pistols. Just remember it is her decision on what she likes so dont force one choice on her. The 380 mouse guns are harder to shoot and you probably wont be carrying.

19. swazispencer

swazispencer New Member

A friend of mine, (female), has a ppk. I'll see about getting her to let me shoot it.

20. swazispencer

swazispencer New Member

Watch out man, she might be listening. Haha
    I hear a lot of good things about the sr9. I'll look into it