Help...my wife wants a gun.

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by redrover3569, Jan 12, 2011.

1. redrover3569

redrover3569 New Member

My wife has always kept her distance from guns because she's very uncomfortable around them. I've always told her that if she changed her mind I would be there to help her. Due to some bad things happening near home she's decided that she needs to learn more and she wants her own gun to learn with.

I'm not asking which gun to buy but I would appreciate recommendations to look at especially from any ladies point of view. I'm looking to a future possibility of concealed carry for her and I'd like to keep it below 9mm for her to start. Thank You.

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

This is a tough one. MANY folks will immediately point you to a small revolver; however, I know my wife hated revolvers. The first gun I got my spouse was a Walther P22 - it allowed her to get the feel of pistol shooting in a platform that looks/feels like a "real" gun. Her first centerfire pistol was a Walther PPK/S - she saw mine one day, said "that's cute", and stole it. I got her to the range a few times with it and she was pretty proficient.

About 6 months ago, I found a like new Walther PK380 for under $200. Since it's just like her beloved P22 - I figured she'd like it - and she does.

To a point she needs to pick her own gun - but don't let her grab a .357 snubbie or the trip will be over before it starts. I've been married to mine for nearly 34 years so I had a good inkling of what she'd like and use...

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

dontlimit her choice. take her to a range that rents let her try try different guns in different calibers. worst thing you cando to a new shooter especially a female shooter is pick the gun for them or limit their choice. she may surprise you and end up liking a 45 1911. ya never know know. but i can tell you this in general the smaller the gun the less fun they are to shoot.

when i teach first time shooters the ropes i always start them on full size handguns in whatever caliber.

9 times out of ten most women i let shoot for the first time pick the 1911 as their favorite.

guns made "for women" do women first time shooters no favors. those are almost always the cheapest rattiest difficult to shoot handguns and turn women off guns.

4. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Let her try a few out. Start with .22's. Let her handle and pick out her own gun and caliber. If you try to step in and "help" it will go south in a hurry.

5. chucksolo69

chucksolo69 New Member

My wife bought her own gun.......a Lady Smith in .38 Special. She can hit the 10 ring at 10 yards all day long. Proud of that gal.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Get some training for her. NRA should have a number of someone in your area who can assist.

Let her pick her gun out. She would probably be more willing to carry "her" gun versus "the gun my husband bought".

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

22lr first off.

I would also look and see if there is a Ladies only firearms safety class. Many women are uncomfortable with a spouse teaching them firearms safety. Check with nra.org to see if there is a ladies training class around your area. Maybe a shooting buddy with a wife that likes to shoot could help her out.

Ruger MkIII Browning Buckmark, Walther P22, Sig Mosquito are all great starter guns.

buying a gun for someone is like buying them underwear without talking to them first. Would you go and buy her a Bra without asking her what she likes? Underwire or no padded, lace, print, plain, white, beige, black, strap or strapless. There are a lot of options in bra's and guns.

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Get her a GSG 1911-22.

Attached Files:

9. orangello

orangello New Member

If she tries to get you to pick one for her, start talking about the new olive drab drapes you want to pick for the living room.

10. freefall

freefall New Member

Take her to a local IDPA shoot. Every one will be happy to let her look at (fondle) their gun. After the shoot several will let her shoot them. People are mostly nice. (unless they're not)

11. redrover3569

redrover3569 New Member

I know better than to pick out a gun for someone else. I was merely looking for options to bring to her attention. The restrictions were set for the purpose of the question. If she wants to try a .45 then she will. However, as I've said, she is uncomfortable with guns but more concerned with her safety. I want to make sure she has an enjoyable experience instead of scaring the hell out of her on her first time.

12. oneshot

oneshot New Member

buying a gun for someone is like buying them underwear without talking to them first. Would you go and buy her a Bra without asking her what she likes? Underwire or no padded, lace, print, plain, white, beige, black, strap or strapless. There are a lot of options in bra's and guns.

Tango
    You seem to know a lot about this subject. ;) Not juding just saying.....:D

13. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Oneshot I am a serious student of Bewbs University....

14. Posit

Posit New Member

Lot of good advice... but if eventual use is concealed carry, and you're only gonna buy one, you have to keep it to something she can conceal... probably something that can be carried in a purse, not too heavy, not too large, etc. Probably elimminates 1911s. 6" barrels, etc.

15. oneshot

oneshot New Member

Tango

Is that in Germany? I heard their slogan is Der keepin dem from der floppin

16. utf59

utf59 New Member

redrover,

There's a website called The Cornered Cat. It's a well-written site about firearms (and other things) from a woman's point of view. There's a very good article about "trying on" a handgun. If she reads that (and some other things on the site) she might feel a little better about beginning the experience.

I also recommend starting her at the range by letting her use a .22. If possible, more than one .22, at least a semi and a revolver. I'm not one of those who thinks all women should start on revolvers. My reasoning is twofold. First, the .22 is a great learning platform: cheap to shoot, not as intimidating. Second is that by handling various types of guns, she can get an idea of what she likes and doesn't like in terms of placement of controls, operating system (revolver, SA/DA, etc.), grip angle, and so on. Then when she starts shopping, she'll pick something up and have a somewhat better idea of whether she likes the features on that gun. "The magazine release is much easier to operate than the one I practiced on" or "The sights just don't line up for me naturally with this one" or "It fits my hand just right, and I can reach all the controls without adjusting my firing hand or using my support hand."

Now to the core of your question. A lot of ladies like single-stack guns — they fit better in smaller hands and they are easier to conceal along the waistline. Kahr makes some nice models. The Walther PPS is very slim. S&W made some smaller-frame automatics that fit smaller hands well, though I don't know if they are in production anymore. Some women do prefer revolvers because they have trouble racking the slides on automatics. S&W J-frames are good, the Ruger LCP, and also the Ruger SP101. The SP101 is a bit bigger (heavier) and offers a 2.25" or 3" barrel. If she and you are comfortable with a .380, there are a bunch of other choices. Walther PPK or PPK/S, Sig P238 or Ruger LCP (not great fun at the range).

Of the ones I've listed, I have seen women shoot — and enjoy — a subcompact Kahr 9mm (don't recall the model), the Walther PPK/S (my wife's choice) and the Sig P238. I have two friends whose wives both carry SP101s, and I have read that the Walther PPS shoots very smoothly.

Hope this helps.

17. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I personally think that some are jumping the gun here. She from what I take from the OP has never fired a gun before. She needs some training before jumping into a CCW Class. Not getting or giving her any safety or basic marksmanship training would be setting her up for failure.

I agree with UTF59 in letting her try a semi auto and a revolver in 22lr first.

18. murraywc

murraywc New Member

I know my wife will go with me to shoot but she is a little uncomfortable handling a gun. When she fired my 22 revolver she liked it. She also say a pink lady and thought it was cute so I got her one. After she fired the 38 spl in a light weight I can just say is anyone interested in buying a pink lady from me. She does enjoy shooting a 9mm though because the kick is totally different. She had a little trouble with the slide so we decided on a bersa .380 it has pretty decent power but is small and she likes to shoot it.

19. redrover3569

redrover3569 New Member

This should prove to be very helpful. Thank you.

20. Snubshooter

Snubshooter New Member

I've read the cornered cat and agree it seems good for women getting in to shooting, also there is Paxton Quigley's "Armed and Female" and the NRA has a women's shooting Magazine like the American Rifleman and they have new women shooters clinics around the country , check their website. Take it slow and easy and try not to spook her.