Help, my first gun

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by nm555, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Beretta Neos

8.7%
  2. Ruger Mark 3

65.2%
  3. S&W 22a

4.3%
  4. GSG 1911

21.7%
  1. nm555

nm555 New Member

Hey Everyone,
    I’m looking into getting my first gun, I've done a little shooting but not very much at all and I was looking for some advice. I’m pretty sure that I want a 22 pistol and from looking around a little I've narrowed it down to 4 that I’m considering buying.

GSG 1911 22LR
    Beretta Neos
    Ruger Mark 3
    S&W 22A

I know that I need to go a hold them to see how they feel (although I’m not exactly sure what it should feel like), but I’m looking for some input from people who have the guns. What I’m looking for is some that is reliable, easy to use and easy to clean/maintain. Basically a gun that I don’t have to worry about that I can take out and it will have few problems.
    Also I know some of these come in different barrel lengths, and input on this would also be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Wiseman3

Wiseman3 New Member

I would suggest you search all of those. I know the GSG the Neos and the MK 3 have been covered quite a bit here. that should help to pin you list down but it really is more important the the firearm fits you and is comfortable than popular vote.

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

See if you can get your hands on any of those to shoot and make your decision then. Some gun places rent handguns. Maybe someone you know might have some of those. The only way to really tell is to handle one and to shoot one if at all possible.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I have never heard a complaint about the ruger.

5. smoooth308

smoooth308 New Member

Pick what feels best in your hands. If you can get a hold of them all, I'm sure one of them will stand out more than the others.
    My vote is for the GSG 1911 or a Umarex/Colt 1911. The colt is the next .22 on my list :)
    Good luck and let us know how it goes.

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I like the Ruger Mark II/III with the 5.5" bull barrel. Lots of choices though, you should handle a lot of pistols and decide which you like.

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Ditto- We really can't tell you what you'd like best :eek:

8. therewolf

therewolf New Member

The nice thing about the Ruger is the Nambu style slide.

It allows you to mount a scope, if you desire, later.

My Ruger MKII with the slab-side-6-3/4" barrel, and a scope

is my only 50 yard pistol.

BTW, 22LRs, as first guns, are the best choice, IMHO.

9. nm555

nm555 New Member

Thanks for the input, I know I need to feel them I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything that would stop me from buying one of these, like it blows up out is super hard to use

10. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

My youngest son and I have the Neos, both in the 4" barrel configuration. We both like it very much, as does my wife.

The price point is cheaper than the Ruger, but the Ruger name speaks for itself. I like the ergonomics of the Neos and the full rail on top which gives the gun versatility. Another thing is that you can get it in two barrel lengths for the same price. Gives you choices. Some have issue getting past the Robocop styling, but it grew on me. The balance is very good. And it's a Beretta. 'Nough said.

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

now i have the Ruger Mark III 22/45 5.5" Target model and i really like it a lot and it fits the hand very similar to the 1911 style pistols. but, what suits me, might not be the best fit for you or to your liking. if possible try out of of the ones you listed and see which one suits you the best. also the Ruger Mark III comes in a more angular style grip also. if you happen to choose the Ruger, it will suit you well, as it functions great and is very accurate and you can also mount a scope to it very easily, as it includes the bases in the kit with it. also buy several magazines!

12. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

Buy the prettiest one…
    You are going to look at it more than shoot it.

13. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I like the GSG idea, if you ever wanted a 1911, you would be familiar with the platform, I'm a big fan of the Mark III though.

14. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

+1 on the 1911 style .22

15. lbaize3

lbaize3 New Member

I have a 1911 style 22 and two Ruger 22/45 pistols. I like them both. The beauty of the Rugers are the aftermarket parts you can get for them as you continue your shooting. Better triggers, etc, and the ability to add scopes will make your purchase longer lasting.... Something you can continue to use and upgrade all your life.

16. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

If you want a finely tuned target shooter at a reasonable price, it's going to be really hard to beat the quality offered by Ruger or Browning for $300-500.

If you want something that has more of a centerfire design, there are a multitude of options. A lot of people like the GSG type 1911s. I have one, like some things about it, but honestly wouldn't endorse it. A Ruger SR22 or S&W M&P 22 might be good options. Avoid the Sig Mosquito.

17. hogdoc357

hogdoc357 New Member

For a good carry gun, try out the Ruger LCR .38 +P. I have the LCR .357 and you can try that too and it shoots .38s like a dream. You will love the sweet trigger press.

18. Polygon

Polygon New Member

My vote goes to the Mark III.

19. Hammy

Hammy New Member

I just got my LTC-A in Massachusetts. I shoot a Ruger Mark 1. Tried the 2 but like the 1 better. Did not like the trigger pull on the Mark 3. Also got a Ruger LC9 for home and carry. Have fun.

20. Hammy

Hammy New Member

I shot a .22 Ruger Mark 1 and love it.

image-3828654609.jpg

MA Hammer