help me value my Piat? Anti-tank bomb launcher

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by t-maxxracer32, Jan 3, 2014.

1. t-maxxracer32

t-maxxracer32 New Member

Hey all, first post here so I am very sorry if this is in the wrong section.
    My father was asking me to get some more information on this bomb launcher that he acquired. We dont have anything about it.... just have some papers that came along with it showing the similiarities.... The paper we have says its similar to a British WWII Piat Anti-tank bomb launcher.

We are hoping to go to the yuma, AZ gun show tomorrow or sunday (we live in yuma) and would love to either trade this or sell it to someone who would appreciate it more than us.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!! If you have any questions regarding serial numbers or anything I will do my best to respond quickly. I could not find any model numbers on there... just some random lettering and possibly a serial number.

here are the pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Again, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum... All we are looking for is some information and possibly a value.

Thank you all.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

is it even legal to own?

3. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

I would pay around 200-300 for it.

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Not sure. Pretty sure the projectiles are the big problem.

These were said to be almost as dangerous for the user as whatever they wer shooting at.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i'll bet C3 knows! he knows everything!:D

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Sure looks like a PIAT to me- missing the padding for the butt.

If you are looking for basic info, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PIAT

WHEN COMPLETE AND OPERATIONAL, these go for $500-$600. Saw one with all accessories and a dummy round in museum quality shape go for $1595 about a year ago.

Do NOT try to cock it- you will hurt yourself. No, really. And it is a ***** to uncock with damaging it.

7. c3shooter

PS. Perfectly legal to own. Not a Destructive Device- not even a firearm. It is a BIG spring gun. The spring threw a 7 lb shaped charge a couple of hundred yards. The projectile had a powder cartridge in the base, that on launching- fired back at you. That cocked the launcher for a repeat shot.

Recoil was vicious. The launcher bounded away from your shoulder due to the spring, and then SLAMMED back- with about 7-8 times the recoil of a 12 g shotgun.

Was also rated by the troops as one of the most effective weapons. Heavy, clutzy, left bruises on the shooter- but killed tanks.

BTW, the live AMMO is a Destructive Device and must be registered with the BATFE

8. t-maxxracer32

t-maxxracer32 New Member

Great info! Thank you.
    Are there any obvious signs to know if this is operational? Id imagine not but if it is it would be cool to know.

Thanks all again

9. c3shooter

10. xring3

xring3 Member

Isn't the last photo showing the word inert?

11. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

If the powder charge in the base didn't go off the projectile only went a few feet. If the fuse activated and it landed right in front if the operator...bad day.

12. t-maxxracer32

t-maxxracer32 New Member

It does say inert but its just sharpy so I dont want to assume; with that said I'd be very surprised if it was functional.

13. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I think I remember seeing that rascal on an episode of "Red Jacket Firearms" or whatever they called that show. They re-furbed one and it took some serious tweaking to get it to throw the "bomb" far enough so that they didn't become collateral damage!:eek: