Help me understand my options

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by knfxda, Jun 2, 2011.

1. knfxda

knfxda New Member

OK, so if you've seen my range reports then you know what i've been shooting. But here's the cliff notes:

• 1st shot the 3rd Gen GLOCK G17 - liked it well enough, delievered as promised
    • Next shot the Beretta 92FS - Loved how I shot it, liked the increased weight, but don't like how it feels in hand or how the safeties interfere with the rear of the slide.
    • Just shot an M&P 9. Liked it the least. Still shot it well. Poor man's G17. Everything this gun has going for it the GLOCK just does a little better.
    • Oh, and I handled an SA XD(m) 9, but have no oportunity to shoot one. It absolutely felt the best in hand, but I have no idea how it shoots.

Originally I had planned on choosing between the G17, M&P9, and XDm9. But now the Beretta through a wrench in that.

So, what I would really like is an all metal gun that holds 15+ rounds, feels like the XD(m), shoots like the Beretta, and is as simple as a GLOCK.

What are my options?

Or am I just kidding myself? In which case, some gun manufacture needs to take this as instructions for their next line of guns! :D

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  2. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Do yourself a favor...shoot a CZ 75 SP-01, CZ 75B, and BHP before you decide. :D

3. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Look into Sig models P226, P228, P229, CZ 75 (and variants), and Browning Hi-Power. They're all really well balanced shooters.

And keep in mind that for any of these you change the grips...all can be outfitted with $15 Hogue wraparounds or spendier custom wood or aluminum grips.

4. knfxda

knfxda New Member

I'll start researching now. I should have added (and will edit my post).

• High capacity - 15 rounds+

5. WDB

WDB New Member

Well considering your impression/demands I would suggest....never mind. Good luck with your purchase and let us know what you purchase. Seems like your looking more for a debate than a firearm.

6. knfxda

knfxda New Member

Wow! Umm no. I don't have a lot of posts here. Take a sec and read them. I stand by my assesment based on my experience level.

If you're happy with your M&P, then be happy with it. If you hate GLOCKs then hate them. You don't need one little-ole newbie to afirm any of your decisions/thoughts/opinions.

If anyone is looking for a debate. It appears to be you.

7. Recon 173

Recon 173 New Member

Don't forget to try a Sig Sauer P-226 in 9 mm too. Great guns. All metal. High quality workmanship. Accurate. Reliable. With a de-cocker on the side too. :D

8. knfxda

knfxda New Member

Love the feel of the Sig, but I was really trying to stay as far south of $1k as possible. So, the Sig and the Browning Hi-Power aren't looking good on that front. Unless the street price is a lot better than I realize.

I am going to try to shoot all three, though.

9. mes227

mes227 New Member

I picked up a Bul Cherokee 9mm 2 months ago. Fits my hand great, I shoot it well, added a $25 laser to the rail. Feels as good as my M&P (Glocks don't fit my hand well). Polymer frame but very well built. Cost less than the Glocks or M&Ps and are every bit as much gun. Mag capacity is 17 rnds. My other semi-autos are S&W1911PD, Kimber TEII, S&W 1006 10mm, and an old, reliable Beretta 70s (as you can see I'm more of a single-stack guy.)

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

If you want metal, then why are you checking out plastic?

I am also curious as to the requirement of so many rounds.

11. knfxda

knfxda New Member

I should add that I liked the extra weight of the metal frame. I liked the reduced recoil as a result of the increased weight. The gun seems to be better balanced (to me). And I don't mind the extra weight when just handling/carrying the gun. It just seems appropriate.

As to why I was checking out plastic guns... the G17 was the most accessible and it is where I started my search.

Reloading after shooting the bad guy to shoot some more looks bad at trial. :D:p;)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  12. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

The CZ SP-01 comes w/ 19 or 17 round 9mm magazines (less in .40 cal). It comes in all metal (or polymer frame of you want lighter). Comes in tactical or regular size. Grip is the best I've handled so far (highly preferential). Best of all, it has the least recoil of all the pistols I've tried so far and more accurate than I am.

The bad: Not cheap. Extra mags are kinda difficult to find and pricey. I cannot comment about durability yet but feels like a tank. I've read that trigger springs may need to be replaced every 35k rounds. Initial trigger may be a bit gritty at first but can be easily remedied.

As you can tell, I am a big fan now and my only regret is that I bought one later than sooner...now I am spoiled. My other pistols will probably stay as back-ups now or at least for a long while :D.

13. danf_fl

If you want a debate, I'm not in.
    Most high round count in shootings come from LEO's, not the normal citizen. Normal citizen encounter is 1-3 shots. And the high number of rounds you want looks worse in trial than anything else. It labels you "Mall Ninja".

14. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I have an XD(m) 9mm and if you are near Tampa. I'd be happy to let ya try it out. :)

15. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

15 rds + in a full size (or even some compact models) 9mm isn't exactly unusual. A box stock CZ 75 or Glock 17 doesn't make one a mall ninja.

16. danf_fl

The OP's statement makes him sound like a "mall ninja".

I don't care how many rounds you carry in your firearm, but the reasoning stated goes along with PC gamer attitude.

17. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

I disagree and this sounds more like a Dem's (anti-gun) reasoning.

Just your perception and even if you are correct, it still doesn't justify above response IMHO. The anti-gun group don't need our help to further their cause.

18. danf_fl

When one says "The higher capacity firearms fit me better." than "Reloading after shooting the bad guy to shoot some more looks bad at trial."

A better fit is more PC than what the OP stated.

19. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I wouldn't assume that at all.

My favorite gun is my SA XDm .40. It is a fabulous shooter, and I also like that I don't have to reload every 7 rounds. Sometimes more is better for various reasons.

Would I carry it? No, at least not daily.

20. MidnightExpress

MidnightExpress New Member

it was a joke, which is why he included the smileys at the end

but yeah, a prosecuting attorney would love to include a statement like that
    in a wrongful death suit