Help me spend my $.. lol

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by criticalplinking, May 16, 2011.

1. criticalplinking

criticalplinking New Member

Okay so I'm sure this has been answered before, but the forum search function does not work properly on my phone, and i've skimmed through a fair amount of threads here and other random forums from google searches and haven't been able to find one that answers my exact question. That being said, my apologies if this post makes those who reply sound like broken records. I'm looking to buy not only my first 1911,but my first firearm, period. I've shot about 15 different handguns in the past 3 months, and after shooting the 1911 and reading up a bit on these forums, I have to have one. Now the gun i shot was a Springfield Armory chambered in 45ACP,not too sure on the exact model, but it was going for about $2600 at the gun store. Unfortunately, my budget is $700 max, and I should probably go for something in 9mm, seeing as I will be shooting it a heck of a lot. The Taurus PT1911 seems to be a pretty sound choice in this budget, from what I gather. Does anyone have any experience in how the taurus stacks up to similar 9mm 1911s like the STI spartan or some of the RIAs? Thanks!

2. fireguy

fireguy New Member

You can get some good 1911's for the $700 you have. .45's will cost more to feed than a 9mm, though. If you want to shoot a lot and save a little I would suggest a 9mm. You can get some really good ones for $700, and probably for 200-300 less than that.

Check out the Rock Island Armory 1911's.
    Look around for used and you can save some real money.
    I use armslist.com and keep an eye out for bargains.

3. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

I have a Taurus PT1911 in .45 and while I had a few gripes with it (mainly parts such as the sights being oddball dovetail size), it has proven to be 100% reliable. Naturally I slicked it up & hand fit the slide/frame etc. Mine will feed an empty case from the mag.

Another option is the new Ruger SR1911. They just came out with it and I'm on the waiting list for 1. It's very reasonably priced as well.

If you want adjustable sights give the Springfield Armory Range Officer a long hard look. It comes from the factory with match quality fitting and match sights.

4. criticalplinking

I'd love to buy one in 45 but I know the price of ammo will add up all too quickly. I'm leaning towards the PT1911 in 9mm, was just wondering if RIA or STI would be a better choice, or if it all comes down to preference and what the gun's intended use is (this will be my range toy obviously, but would like to compete one day). Do any of these models offer more than the other in terms of upgrades?

5. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

The Taurus comes in 9mm and are pretty "decked out" as they come from the box. I haven't had much experience with the RIAs. That might be a good thing since if I haven't gotten them in my shop (before I retired) for repair then not that many around my area have needed it.

6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

CP,

I probably would take a look at the New Remington 1911 Pistol also. Runs in the price range you mentioned. And would have warranty being new. I have looked at one but never shot it. I assume it is a decent pistol since it is Remington. I sure liked the looks and the feel of the one I looked at. Of course the Kimbers, Rock River Arms and Springfields are great but out of your price target range even used normally. But shop around you may find a great deal! But check the pistol out first and shoot it to make sure you are not getting someone else's troubles!!!! Or have a return agreement in writing!

Good Luck!

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

RIA is starting to look like they are having some QA problems. There are a couple of threads about problems with RIA.

Check some of the on-line auctions and don't discount the idea that there are a lot of good quality used firearms that have had any previous problems worked out.

8. BlindOldMan

BlindOldMan New Member

What I really like about the 1911's is that you can tweak it a lot after purchase.. $700 now, but in a few months you can modify something.. a few months later, modify something else. Start with grips...

9. nhsuper44

nhsuper44 New Member

You can't go wrong with an STI. The Spartan is available in 9mm. Terry.

10. criticalplinking

yes i have heard good things about STI as well. all of the 1911's at the local gun store are out of my price range, so it doesn't look like i'm going to be able to handle or shoot the gun before purchasing, unless i happen to run into someone with the gun. my thought was to just do as much research as possible and make my purchase based on that. is this a bad idea? lol

11. nhsuper44

nhsuper44 New Member

Doing your research before buying is always a good thing to do. That is how I went about buying my STI Trojan, never saw one or handled one, but that's me. That may not work for you. Terry.

12. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

With that budget I would wait for the new Ruger 1911

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  13. criticalplinking

while that Ruger (and many more 1911's) have caught my eye for sure, i just don't think i can swing the cost of the .45 ammo right now. i definitely plan on getting a .45 model at some point in the future, but i don't really see the point right now since i'm going to want to take my new baby to the range twice a week. i appreciate all of the suggestions, though! pretty much caught between the STI spartan and and PT1911.

14. freefall

freefall New Member

Buy that 1911 .22 that Cane is always posting pics of. It will satisfy all of your longings unless you want to carry it for Serious Social Work.

15. Gloves

Gloves New Member

I was just about to hijack this thread and start talking .22 conversion kits.
    Can someone post economical .22 conversion kits? All the ones I've seen
    are at least $500! It's just a slide, spring and a few other miscellaneous parts.

From what i've seen, 9mm is almost exactly 1/2 the cost of .45! It's like
    they are charging per grain! 115 x 2 = 230 (a-WAH!?)

Let's say you can find this cheap ammo...

MY AMMO CHART FOR SAVING $$$
    CALIBER.|.COST EACH....|1,000 Rounds..|5,000 Rounds
    --------+--------------+--------------+-------------
    .45.....|(40¢/each)....|$400..........|$2,000
    9mm.....|(20¢/each)....|$200..........|$1,000
    .22 LR..|(3.5¢/each)...|$35...........|$175

After seeing that, I can't believe I've waited this long to consider
    a .22 conversion kit!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

16. BikerRN

BikerRN New Member

If you're planning to shoot 9mm I'd stay away from the 1911 platform.

Call me a traditionalist, but the 1911 deserves a .451 diameter bullet IMHO. That and problems tend to arise when one changes the caliber from it's original designation in the 1911 platform. The new Springfield EMP is reported to have "fixed" those issues, but it's too far north of your price point to be a consideration for you at this time.

If you want a Single Action 9mm I'd look no further than John Browning's masterpiece, the Hi Power. You can find a good Used one below your price point. My suggestion would be to get one with the cast frame, as they are built to withstand +P ammunition. To tell cast from forged look at the magazine well. If the bottom of the frame has ripples that look like the ripples in a potatoe chip it's cast. If it's smooth, it's forged.

Biker

17. criticalplinking

Thanks for the tip! Is the feel of the Browning in-hand similar to most 1911s? Don't think I've seen any new or used BHPs at the local gun store. Lots of noob questions, I know :D

18. Olympus

Olympus New Member

There's nothing wrong with a 9mm in a 1911 frame. They have been being made for long enough now that companies have worked the kinks out. I would probably steer clear of RIA, because if you do have problems and they can't fix your pistol or you keep having to send it back, they will only offer to refund your pistol for the wholesale value of gun, not what you paid for it.

In 9mm, the STI Spartan would be a good option, as would the Taurus and even the Springfield Loaded. You can get the Taurus and the Springfield both in stainless steel, but not the Spartan. Both Taurus and Springfield are much larger companies than RIA/Armscor so if you have to send the gun back for any reason, they will take care of you. I believe Taurus has a policy that they don't tend to advertise, but if they keep your gun longer than 90 days, they will send you a brand new one if you ask and keep track of the days. But turnaround time isn't bad at all. I have a Taurus 1911 and I sent it back for an ambi safety that broke and it was shipped and returned in under 3 weeks. Not a single problem since then. Springfield is also a very reputable company and while I don't own a Springfield, I wouldn't have any qualms about buying a 1911 from them.

As for the Browning Hi Power, I own several of those as well and they are probably my second favorite gun design, after the 1911. Pointability is similar to the 1911, but the feel in the hand is not. The HP is a double stack mag, so the grip will be thicker than a 1911. I have small hands, so I notice that more than anything else. The trigger on a HP is not nearly as nice as a 1911 either. HPs have a mag disconnect safety that the trigger engages and it gives it a different feel than a typical SA 1911 trigger. The trigger on a HP is doing more things at once than a 1911 trigger is and you will notice. Some people will call a HP trigger "mushy". The disconnect safety can be removed though, but the triggers still don't compare to a 1911.

19. criticalplinking

Thanks, gripmaker. I loved the way the 1911 I shot felt all around, much more so than any of the other guns i've shot to date. I know whatever I end up buying will not feel and shoot exactly the same as a $2600 1911, but I might as well try and get as close as I can on my budget. From what I've read, the STI seems to fit the bill pretty well. While I do like the look of the Taurus and Springfield better, SA is just out of my price range, and im not sure if I want to "roll the dice" with the Taurus. Going off of what I've read again, the general consensus seems to be that it's less of a gamble with the PT1911, but has anyone owned or fired the PT1911 in 9mm? Again, I'm a total newbie so I'm not sure how much different the 9mm version is except for the slide/barrel/magazine. I have to wait for another paycheck or 2 before I can buy so I'm trying to do as much research and ask as many questions as possible in the meantime.

20. Olympus

Olympus New Member

The 9mm isn't going to be a much different design than a .45 except the 9mm will have a ramped barrel instead of a feed ramp that integrated into the frame like the .45.

I would think that you'd be able to find a Springfield Loaded 9mm for around $700 though?