HELP me reinstall ambi safety 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by CHLChris, Jul 15, 2011.

1. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Hey, all! 3:20 PST 7-15-11

I just took down my 1911 Kimber Ultra Raptor II and am getting everything back together without too many problems. The sear spring gave me a little difficulties, but it is okay now.

My ambi safety isn't going back on because the hammer pin has that little tab on the right side (the "ambi" side). How do I get the safety over that pin tab?

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Are you sure the hammer pin shouldn't go in from the left (plunger tube) side?

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The "secret" is to put the right side on first, then align it to the needed position when you install the left side. Are you sure it is the hammer pin and not the sear pin? (sides are considering that the muzzle is pointed out from your body)

4. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I love it/ hate it when I post a question and then figure it out on my own.

The trick is to install the ambi side FIRST.

-push in right side of ambi safety
    -make sure hammer pin tab is engaging right safety
    -place left side safety in
    -depress retaining pin to allow left safety to engage completely
    -Life about 25% from disengaged toward engaged
    -Two safety sides should engage with each other

Thanks!

At least this is here for the next person who searches for that little tidbit. The Youtube vid I was watching was reassembling a Kimber Carry, without an ambi safety. And all the other vids are for removing the ambi so as to replace with a standard safety to make way for laser grips or whatnot junk.

5. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Thanks, Dan. We were typing at the same time. The hammer pin is the pin the holds the hammer in and has that tab. The sear pin is much smaller and forward and down from the hammer pin. I'm not teaching you, just making sure we're talking about the same thing, right?

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Glad you got it Chris. Numerous ambi safeties use the sear pin (yes, the smaller and forward pin).

7. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

The Kimber does not have on the right-side ambi safety that much longer tab that:

1) requires a modified right-side grip, and
    2) covers (possibly engages?) the sear pin

that Colts use.

Thanks for your quick response, Dan!