Help me pick out a gun

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by nickmiller70, Jul 28, 2013.

1. nickmiller70

nickmiller70 New Member

I have been debating for some time about getting a new 9mm gun. I have narrowed it down to something under $300. The ones I'm looking at at this point are either the Taurus 24/7 or Slim, the Kel-tec pf9 or the Smith & Wesson Sigma. Any opinions would be awesome.

2. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

What is your purpose for the gun? Carry? Home defense? Range gun?

3. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

I have or had all of them except the keltec. I had nothing but good luck with them all. Still have both Taurus' and carry them regularly

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

which one feels the best in your hand? yep, that's the one to pick!

5. QueenGlamis

QueenGlamis New Member

We have a S&W SD9VE, hubby just did the APEX trigger on it, and WOW it is like a whole new weapon! Zero failures, been awesome after a few thousand rounds!

6. JW357

JW357 New Member

I have a Taurus PT140 Millennium and while its not a great comparison, since its a .40 S&W, I am not thrilled with it. Several problems. Sights came off, customer service seems flaky, and now the magazine ejects on every shot.

Maybe their 9mm offerings are better.

I will say their warranties are great.

Between those three choices I would prolly go with the S&W although I don't know much about the Sigma line. S&W is a great company though.

7. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Nick:

My friend is ret. NYPD and was also a deputy here in our county. He now carries a PF9 and swears by it. I don't own a small Taurus (I have their Stainless 92 copy) but my cousin has the 709. He is a bit shorter then me and thinner...has no trouble concealing it...like a prior poster said... Pick what feels best....

8. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I owned a Sigma in .40 and it was one of the worst guns I've owned. Sold it shortly after I bought it. I'd recommend anything other than a Sigma.

9. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

My stock answer to this question is,
    Find a range,
    Shoot the different guns,
    make an educated choice.
    good luck.

10. 308Wins

308Wins New Member

The S&W is great, I hear about a lot of people not liking the Sigma, but I like them. KelTec is no good unless you plan on replacing it in a couple years. The Taurus is great, I'm a fan of Taurus

11. Glockluster

Glockluster New Member

Depending on your areas prices you could save up a few more bucks and buy a ruger lc9. Its a lot like the keltec pf9 but better quality in my opinion. I got mine for a little over 350 $. However if your looking for a good range 9mm this probabaly isn't your best bet.

12. DrFootball

LC9 not your "Best Bet"?? REALLY?? I've been carrying one for over a Year....

If the OP is looking for a CC Gun,..there aren't many in .9mm that (are) as concealable...Maybe the Springfield EMP or one of the small .9mm Kimbers like the Solo...
    It does "jump" a bit(snappy Recoil) but once you get used to it....
    BTW,..I paid $429 for my LC9 last year,..but It came with 2 Mags, and Bought a 3rd in the store,..where the Shop Owner put the finger ext. on all three mags for me...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  13. Glockluster

Glockluster New Member

Haha no no I just ment if he was looking for a good range 9mm the lc9 might not be top pick, but as far as cc or even home defense I'd say the lc9 is an excellent choice. Damn I wish I could of got two mags with mine haha I had to buy my other one seperate.I love my lc9 I didn't think I'd like it as much as I do. Its a great conceal carry piece and is my EDC.

14. DrFootball

Mine would also be a BUG if I had reason to carry 2 Guns...

15. Werminator

Werminator Member

I'm appalled that someone said something about there not being a lot of 9mm guns for CCW... maybe he meant in that general price range but I doubt it since he mentioned the EMP. How about Kahr pm9 and cm9... KelTec pf9... LC9... kimber solo... SIG p938...and a whole host of slightly larger like the SR9c... Glock 26... Beretta nano... SIG p250 subcompact... it just keeps going... which is why its hard to settle on just one!!!

16. DrFootball

Yeah I think he was saying that in regards to Price range. All mentioned are good carry guns.

17. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Is there any way of saving up a little to get a better quality gun? I don't know, maybe sell your first born?-JK. Just 200 dollars more will get you a good quality CC 9mm that you can trust, enjoy and show off at the range.;) Wait, save up and I know you will be much happier. Patience. It is hard for me too, patience that is.

18. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

I been carrying this one for about 2 years.It is my summer CCW.
    Winter CCW being a .44 spcl Bulldog.

After I proved to me, that it was reliable, and it is, never have had any problems shooting it, It gets shot at least once a month and cleaned.

Other folks have problems, shooting MY gun due to limpwristing.

I carried a Keltec PF9 for 3 yrs before this one.
    This the easiest CC I have found.
    It is the smallest 9mm of all mentioned ,weighing in at 11 oz.

NOT A RANGE GUN.

http://diamondbackfirearms.com/product?id=22

Jim
    btw , prices range around $350.+-

19. DrFootball

I understand it's hard these days to shop for anything and have sticker shock! we take rising prices for granted.

In 1988 when I bought My "second" Colt 45ACP, I thought $788 was excessive. Now if you Want a "COLT" 1911 be prepared to spend $1200 or more for a new one. Until last spring I had not bought a handgun in close to 15 years, and only a few long guns.
    My move to Long Island from the City(Nassau only being slightly Less restrictive then NYC) and getting to know my Wife's family got me back into shooting on a regular basis again...

20. Chase127

Chase127 New Member

ever since the XDS came out you can get an XDM or XDSC for around $400 used i carry a 9mm XDSC with the 16 rd mag everytime i leave the house.You can get a ruger SR9c for about $600 or if you want something alil more slimline maybe a little sig 9mm for about $500