help me pick out a good 1911 please

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Tailypoe, May 31, 2011.

1. Tailypoe

Tailypoe New Member

hey. I'm Henry
    , and i'm looking for a good 1911 to use as my main open weapon. ..
    it's good to know what i'm doing, ad seein' as i'm a newbie who has yet to fire a good pistol , i'd like some advice on what's gonna give me the least trouble.
    , i need reliability and ease of maintenence, foremost. it's all good for me, when it comes to 1911's, but it should be light and well-made thus i was thinking a nice wilson kz 45 :) it's polymer :))
    :evil: . i kno, it's not real, it handles like a fisher price toy, im a bad person, etc. .
    i want :
    • a 1911
    • a basically full-sized firearm.
    • a few extra shells form a standard .
    it's open season on all 1911's, but i want to stay in my under-3000 price range.
    is there anything better for me ? i rly want to maintain those extra 2-3 shells.
    well, thank all of you for your input, im well on my way to never fearing bumps in the night again. ..
    :eek: my first handgun is gonna be a 1911, i can't believe it ! :D
    peace out.

2. relichound

relichound New Member

I love my kimber 1911 i had it coustomised and engraved with my name and army unit i was with in iraq,, beautifull handgun fires like clock work .. fired about 600 rounds before a malfunction (round didnt eject ) and of corse the ONLY caliber for a 1911 is .45 shure you can find em in nuterd 9mm but if your gonna go large frame better have knock down to it, and even with the coustom engraving i picked it up for 1200..

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I'd love to see a picture of it.

4. mes227

mes227 New Member

I also love my Kimber (Tactical Entry II with the rail, full size .45acp). I recently picked up a S&W1911PD (alloy frame so noticeably lighter) and have been very impressed, especially as a carry piece. I do like the Wilson Combats but don't own one. And I'd pick up a Dan Wesson if I found the right price.

5. Briar

Briar New Member

Well you don't need to spend $3000.00 unless you just want an original 1911. Rock Island Arms makes a pretty good 1911 using the same machines used during WWII in the Phillipines. I have one and love it. It looks and feels just like the old 1911 I carried while in the Army. Check it out.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

If you can put up with limited access to ammo, CDNN has the Taurus in .38Super on the 1911 platform. Also Colt and RIA come in the .38Super.

7. Wambli

Wambli New Member

If you want a high cap .45 I would really consider a Glock, HK, XD or FN. Engineered and built from the get go as a double stack .45. Anything 1911 is going to be an engineering compromise and to me not worth the extra couple of rounds. I just carry extra mags and learn how to do reloads. Besides the beauty of a Wilson or other premiere gun is how tight, reliable and accurate they can make a gun and there is no "tight" with a polymer frame so why spend the extra cash.

Take a look at the Wilson CQB. I have one and is the most reliable and accurate 1911 I have ever owned. If you want light weight Wilson makes them in an aluminum frame (option) that does make a difference weight wise and either model is MUCH easier to conceal than a double stack gun. BTW I'm also a Kimber owner and I'm very happy with the handguns I got from them. My UltraCarry with an Aluminum frame is one of the easiest to carry/conceal guns in my collection and accurate enough that my wife uses it for IDPA.

Happy shopping!

8. bullethole

bullethole New Member

springfield armory is your best bet

9. bullethole

bullethole New Member

This is my Springfield armory 1911 .45

Attached Files:

10. TGReaper

TGReaper New Member

a good 1911 please

High capacity is not high on my requirement list so all my 1911s are single stack middle of the road models. Two Colts one Gov't one Gold cup (stainless)and two STI's one Ranger 11 and one Range Master. No complaints with any of them. In my opinion excellent examples of the 1911.
    TGR

11. dragoon

dragoon New Member

That's a cute gun !

12. Tailypoe

Tailypoe New Member

specs, ? sorry.

is the " ultracarry " the compact version of the cqb ? i want a full-frame gun, maybe a commander model, but it'd have to be cheaper or better somehow.

i'm not a stickler for weight, but do you know how much the C cqb aluminum weighs ? wilson won't say.
    . . i'm still leaning towarsds the less " tight " kz45, i don't even see what "tight " means here, it seems a fully functional gun for me.

13. Tailypoe

Tailypoe New Member

yeah.

again, kz 45 seems pretty good, i mean, what's the harm in double-stackin' if it's just as thin ?
    i understand people like the "feel" of metal in their hand, and i'd surely like a nice metal unit, but i have to think practical here, and lighter with more rounds, is mo betta in my case.
    also , the qcb sounds kinda like it's inadequate for long range. " close quarters " . : /
    so, uh , yeah, i'm not looking for a gun to marry. i jsut want functional and confident shootin' for primary / open carry.

14. Wambli

Wambli New Member

The UltraCarry is a 3" barreled compact (Officers model) from Kimber. Wilson offers the aluminum frame on the CQB of all sizes as far as I know. The UltraCarry weighs in at 25 oz empty. I don't know what the full size gun weighs.

Tight means the fit of the slide/frame and then barrel/frame/slide. Usually the tighter the gun the more accurate the gun is but there is a trade off. if you get too tight you end up with reliability issues, that's why most semiautos have a fair amount of slop between frame and slide. It takes great craftsmanship and handfitting to make a tight, accurate and 100% reliable 1911. That's why Wilson prices are up there. The test target they send with the gun speaks for itself.

I'm not trying to talk you out of your polymer framed gun or even the Wilson for that matter. I just don't think I would spend that kind of money on a poly framed gun. Other folks do. It's just an opinion... Hey anything Wilson I'm sure will be great.

15. Ambrola

Ambrola New Member

I just ordered a Ruger SR1911. Can't beat the price or the quality of the weapon.

16. bullethole

bullethole New Member

The best 1911 pistol that you could ever have IMO is a fully automatic pistol with a 30 round clip hanging off of it!

17. BikerRN

BikerRN New Member

Here's my recommendations:

>$1,500 Colt
    $1500 -$3000 Wilson CQB or variant
    <3,000 Ed Brown

Biker