Firearms Talk banner

Help me pick a rifle :)

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  therewolf 
#1 ·
Forget about brand, I haven't even picked a platform yet!

A friend was supposed to get me in on the AR15 customized lower group buy last year, but he screwed it up :( Found a RR AR15 I really liked at a brand new FFL last Christmas, but the timing wasn't right... Beginning to think AR15 and I don't belong together.

Co-Worker of a friend suggested I look really hard at the PTR, he likes it better than the AR or AK. Not sure I totally understand what he did in the Marines, but my friend said he talks about long range sniper work.

Don't have a real purpose in mind, not a hunter, but could see me looking for some longer range target shooting.

While at Cabela's tonight, I really liked the feel of a Ruger 10/22 they had... Why do I think I'm going to end up with two rifles?

#7 ·
This isn't a choice between the 10/22 and something with a little more umph, the 10/22 is coming home irrespective of the bigger platform :) Just couldn't bring myself to spend the money on the spot last night.
No THAT's a proper attitude dude!

#8 ·
For long range target shooting I would recommend a bolt action rifle. There are several cartridges to choose from, so that's another discussion. I like cartridges with a lot of versatility in reloads and are also readily available on the retail market. In my opinion the .308 Winchester fits those requirements. Savage Arms offers several bolt guns in this chambering and their accu-trigger is sweet.

If you like the Ruger 10/22...buy it. I own several 22lr rifles and pistols, and shoot them the most.

Best of luck.

#11 ·
HockaLouis said:
Considered a pretty obsolete cartrdige these days, but, I am a fan of it. It's a .30-30 with some weight behind it!
30-30 is a great little gun. Taken more deer in N. America than any other caliber. But what are you wanting it for? Hunting, Distance, EZ reloading etc? With the factory iron sights, I never take a shot over 75 yards with my Win'94. But when I do shoot, the Sierra 125gr.HP drops them every time. Reloading for the 30-30 is easy with a variety of recipes available.
My "obsolete" cartridge is a Ruger in .350 Remington Mag. Leopold 3-9x40. 225gr. Nos. partition..good out to 300 yards an rated for every big game animal on earth except elephant. The round has been lost to history for the most part but reloading is still possible and the little rifle packs a Serious Wallop!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.