Help me out..What's some iconic handguns?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by ninjatoth, Jul 24, 2012.

1. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I watched some youtube videos where people are making "top ten handguns of the world"...and they suck,they feature like taurus and stuff like that,whoever makes these vids has no clue,so I want to make my own,make it better and make it right..What are some iconic handguns,such as military/police handguns or movie guns or anything that is iconic?I want to make it from the invent of cartridges until modern times.I have made a list so far off my mind's rolodex of what I think are iconic,I know i've missed a few..not sure how long the list should be,or maybe some I have chosen should be scratched.What do you think?this is what I have so far:

1.colt 1911
    2.beretta 92
    3.S&W 29
    4.makarov 9x18
    5.browning high power
    6.colt police positive .32
    7.s&w snubby .38 of some kind/or colt
    8.desert eagle .50
    9.luger
    10.walther ppk
    11.Colt Python
    12.colt peacemaker 45LC
    13.colt pocket .25acp
    14.walther p38
    15.S&W 27 or other .357
    16.tokarov pistol
    17.webley revolver
    18.nagant revolver
    19.?namboo pistol
    20.glock(not sure what model)? 17 ?
    21.charter arms bulldog .44 spl
    22.Mauser???
    23.S&W mod 10 .38
    24.colt 1903

modern cool ones:
    5.SW bodyguard .38/ruger lcr
    6.500 mag S&W
    7.S&W governor/taurus judge
    8.460 mag
    9.S&W m&p 9-40-45
    10.springfirld xd

thanks in advance for the help..ninja

2. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Glock 17...like it or not it has definitely been a huge influence on firearms and has found it's way into countless duty rigs.

Sig P226...very widely issued and used by LE agencies and militaries around the world, most notably Navy SEALS.

3. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

Colt single action army and colts dragoon

4. 44magmike

44magmike New Member

Dont forget dirty harry smith and wesson model 29 and his 44 automag ( sudden impact movie)

5. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

totally slipped my mind...thanks

didnt think about the 44amp...but you listing that jogged my memory to also think about adding the 475 wildey magnum

keep em coming!

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The CZ-75. A lot of firearms came off of that one and variants are sold by EAA.

7. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I think you've got a few out of order on that list.

8. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

In no particular order;

S&W Mod 19 Combat Magnum
    S&W Mod 36 Chief's Special
    Browning Hi Power
    Colt Woodsman .22
    Colt Detective Special
    Beretta 92
    Colt .25 ACP
    S&W Mod 39/59

I'm basing my choices on how I define iconic. An artful representation of the time period.

When everybody stops laughing about the Colt .25, that pistol filled more LEO back pockets than any other gun of the 70's.

9. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

My favorite all around gun is a pretty simple gun but a work horse that can be carried, is a great home protection gun, nice range toy, accurate enough to target shoot and easy to teach a new shooter. My Stainless GP100 .357 Mag with a 4" barrel.

Others would be my Kimber Super Carry Ultra + and my .40 FNX. Both are nothing unusual or fancy just fun guns to shoot and accurate as hell.

10. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Number 21, really?

I think I'm just going to have to back out of this thread.

11. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Volcanic pistol
    Lemat revolver

12. oli700

oli700 New Member

Come on......CZ75.

13. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

That's guys...the CZ75 is a must...wouldn't have thought of that one but with 2 suggestions for it I trust you guys...the lemat revolver...totally slipped my mind,I also think I'll do the webley-fosbury auto revolver too.my list isn't an in order list yet..just numbered to keep them separated for now...but whoever thinks the charter bulldog 44 isn't right,we got to remember it is a huge part of american knowledge after the "44 caliber killer" and son of sam,plus it was fairly popular at the time...and even to this day.

14. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Wheres the Medusa M47?!?!? :(

15. KalashnikovJosh

KalashnikovJosh New Member

Don't forget the Russian TT series of pistols.
    Prominent as Red Army side arms on the Eastern Front of WW2 as well as captured,coveted, and carried by German soldiers.

The Mauser pistol you put a question mark next to could be the "broomhandle",or C96 Mauser.
    These were very popular in many wars of the last years of the 19th century and the first half of the 20th,I believe that Winston Churchill even had one.

The Colt 1903 was a very iconic and popular pocket gun.I believe Patton used one in .32 acp to fire at a German Stuka dive bomber in one incident where his famous temper erupted.

And of course,don't forget the granddaddy of all modern semiautomatic pistols:

The Borchardt C-93.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  16. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I'd have to think a Sig P210 is pretty 'iconic'. So are High Standard target 22lrs.

And yeah, CZ 75 is a must.

17. TimKS

TimKS Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Colt Buntline Sp.

If you only want "iconic" guns, you have a few on the list that don't belong.

18. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Oh yeah...and I'm gonna go ahead and nominate the Bren Ten as well.

Jeff Cooper + the orginal 10mm + trusty CZ 75 design + Sonny freakin Crockett.

The best, most practical, most important? Nope. But pretty damn iconic, ala IMI DEagle.

19. trip286

trip286 New Member

Y'all ain't gonna like this...

Hi point

Yes, I went there. Look at their fan base, look at how many people love to hate them, and look at what they accomplish: a functional, affordable handgun.

Sorry. Now that I've dropped a "pay day" in the pool, I'll get out.

20. KalashnikovJosh

KalashnikovJosh New Member

I don't entirely disagree,trip.

Affordable to the poor defensive handguns are iconic,in that they have raised so much controversy.

Theres even a song for 'em by a band called .38 Special called "Mr. Saturday Night Special" I think.

The issue is this- poor people,especially those on the fringes of society,need to be able to defend themselves probably more then other people as they typically live in bad neighborhoods.

Yet,"gun control" advocates argue that the availability of such guns is a bad thing,because,they claim,it increases shooting deaths by "flooding the market with cheap guns".

Despite the fact that handguns are utilized far more in the underreported act of self defense then they are used in crimes,the main stream media along with the anti gun lobby has persisted in this claim.

They've even made "laws" to ban the importation of guns of a certain size.

It seems as thought the adage is true- limousine liberals who can afford highly trained guards with the most expensive weaponry along with being given the "privilege" to pack their own arms by their buddies in states and localities that severely restrict the Second Amendment, don't care that the poor and disenfranchised can't afford to defend themselves and their families even in their own homes.

So much for their typical party line of being "champions of the people".

And so it came down to American ingenuity to provide- and for what they're worth,Hi Point firearms are good enough to get the job done.

So I agree,they deserve a place in all that is good about guns.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012