help me out please

Discussion in 'SIG Sauer Forum' started by niteglock, Dec 9, 2013.

1. niteglock

niteglock New Member

Hey sig guys. I'm looking to trade my springfield 1911 loaded for a sig p229 40s&w. Could you sig fans please point me in the right direction for a purchase or trade? I am almost set on a model E29-40-BSS-NR because I like the look of the "legacy slide" and hate the look of the long ejector. But I really want a rail on it for the extra weight in front. It's not that big of a deal though. I heard alot of bad rep about the newer US sigs and that is kind of scaring me away. Thats why I might choose the model I suggested above. Is there really issues with these newer sigs or what??? Which sigs slides are solid steel slides milled not stamped? I would really prefer a solid steel milled over folded steel. Is the above mentioned model solid steel or folded? Thanks guys.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  2. niteglock

niteglock New Member

I juzt dont want to trade a practically brand new 1911 that is super accurate and never failed so far, with great customer service and lifetime warranty for a pistol that I am going to have to send back to manufacturer for repair after I shoot it a bit. I havent tried finding anyone to trade with or sell it to yet thats why im asking you guys about this before I start to look for people to buy/trade.

3. niteglock

niteglock New Member

Whats the pros and cons of that model also? Like mag interchangeability, ammo, ect. I would probably like to get a conversion to shoot 9mm and 357 out of the one I buy also. Could I do that with that one. And if not could u guys explain which ones I can and which mags work in which models. Thanks.

4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Then why are you trading that gun? Sounds like a keeper to me. :confused:

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

Sigs are great. Keep the 1911.

6. sleeper

sleeper New Member

You might try posting your question over at sigtalk, they might have more insight into sig specifics. I think both would be great guns. The SA 1911 is a proven winner. The Sig has a great rep. Guess you just have to decide which platform you prefer.

7. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Seems like you've brought this up before? Anyway don't make too much of the Internet bum rap. There are no facts to support the "SIG decline" or that American made means worse. Buy a new SIg with the same confidence as any of its competition. I have owned several and examined many more. SIg keeps getting contracts here and around the world.

8. niteglock

niteglock New Member

Almost had a sig 229 "legacy slide" version. No rail. But the guy dont want to ship. Ive done it before and its easy. Damn. Im kinda pissed. I love the look of the ild school sig and thats what im stuck on. But honestly, slightly leary of the wear on it. Its been around long time. Over 1k rounds. But all he wanted was a g19. I jumped on it and when he found out I was out of state he backed out. Damn!

9. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

All the new Sig slides are milled out of stainless barstock only the oldest line was ever stamped and it didn't make it a bad pistol.I love my Sig 226 have two other conversion barrels you can do the same with the 229.However as for trading the 1911 I wouldn't do it I would find another way like the upcoming tax season to buy one.

10. jeffkaiser1989

jeffkaiser1989 New Member

Bud A sig is a sig. Now if the 1911 is as good as you say it is than keep it. Sig makes fine firearms and most of the problems i have heard of happen with any firearm you buy. You always have a chance of getting a lemon. I have a Sig P238 and i love my little .380. I know LEO's that are issued 226s and 229s and they also have no complaints with either. It boils down to what exactly you want. I mean yea parts are easy to come by for the 226 and 229 mags are easy and are moderatly priced not to mention if you have the railed version you can put a ton of accessories on it and the ability to get conversion kits for different calibers from 9mm, 40S&W, .357SIG. I mean come on. Im rambling sorry. The point is do what you feel is right but I wouldnt trade a 1911 for a 226/229. Just my honest opinion

11. niteglock

niteglock New Member

Can anyone explain what the serial prefix AG- is for a sig p229?

Serial number: AG-xx-xxx

I might trade for it. No rail. Older style slide. Says "sigarms exeter nh"
    "Frame made in germany"
    Great looking condition.
    Comes with two mags that say made in germany with plastic bottoms.
    Original screw grips.
    I dot style sights.

Would this be one of the "better" ones produced by sig???

12. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

As a Sig armorer, I can say the best pistols they ever made were the P-210, P-220, and P-226 in that order. This applies to the older (stamped slide guns). The newer, milled slides, are not my favorites. The older ones were easier to work on, cost less and were S&W 4506 or 1006.

The thing that really chaps me about Sig is their dishonesty. I caught the instructor in a lie in class, called him on it and was brushed off. He now holds a very high place in the company. The factory rep who showed up was a dottering old fool. The local supplier who made an appearance was an obese, greasy DB who wanted to sell body armor.

I do not like to do business with dishonest people and will not own a Sig.

Keep the 1911

13. niteglock

niteglock New Member

I appreciate that. Thanks. Since you state u r a sig armorer would you happen to know if this is one of the better for the most part sigs that were made? I know its not stamped and it is milled. Im just afraid of getting a lemon if I do it. Thanks.

Attached Files:

14. niteglock

niteglock New Member

Well I did it. Traded the springer for the p229 and wouldnt look back. I loved my 1911 but this gun is beautiful and smooth as butter. It came with the 10 rnd mags and now im looking for higher cap mags that are worth paying for. I think tgis sig was made in 97 if im correct about the serial number. Have to admit I was nervous about doing the trade but now fondling it I see this is made soooo much better than the new ones in shops ive checked out. The slide to frame fit is just as tight as my 1911. And no jams so far!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013