Help me out here... AR-15 pistols w/ un-designated lowers

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by slog, Oct 25, 2012.

1. slog

slog New Member

I have 4 LW-15 composite lowers (stripped). I would like to build 9mm pistols with these. They're not designated as pistol or rifle on the receiver, and are marked "cal multi." Can I build pistols with these? Or are they technically considered rifles from the start? I'm not interested in turning these into SBR's, and I don't want to go bigger than 9mm for the composite lowers.

2. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

First off what great state and city are you in. Different locales have different rules and regualtions. I can tell you all the options in Kommiefornia.

Secondly, I believe that blowback calibers like 9mm 45 acp 10mm are actually harder on your lower reciever than 5.56/.223. You may want to rethink your choice of caliber for your polymer lowers. Either way, keep us posted with your choice and results!

3. slog

slog New Member

I'm worried about the stock. The plum crazy polymer lowers cracked at the joint to the stock. I have the New Frontier polymers. They're apparently stronger than the plum crazy lowers. To avoid it altogether, I figured a pistol would have less stress since there is no resistance pressure on the stock. I might just scrap the whole idea and go .22LR with these. Not sure yet. I have some Aero Precision lowers that I reserved for 5.56

Also, I'm in Lorain, Ohio. Gun laws here are fairly lenient.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  4. slog

slog New Member

I called Joe Bob Outfitters and they said they shipped my lowers as "other" so they should be good to go. Is it possible that the FFL could have changed that and marked it as a rifle? Or am I good to go?