Help me identify this shotgun

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by TINCANBANDIT, Apr 17, 2014.

1. TINCANBANDIT

TINCANBANDIT Member

I bought this shotgun for cheap, I was thinking about restoring it. Anyone have any idea who made this gun? The only words on the gun are "Army Steel" on the barrel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  2. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

It was likely made by either Spencer firearms or cresent fire arms, their new York gun co marked their barrels with genuine army steel. These late 1800 early 1900 single shots are extremely had to track down most of the time.

3. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Not sure, kinda looks like an old Victor a little bit (they made fur traps and guns). I like it, its been used but not abused. If it is a Victor, dont restore it, Worth much more the way it sits. Better yet, make sure you ID the maker and worth before you start on it, lots of old single shots are very desirable and few are worth as much restored unless they are trashed to begin with. Yours looks aged not beat.

4. TINCANBANDIT

TINCANBANDIT Member

Actually, someone already tried to restore it, using cold bluing....it does look like it has patina.

5. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Looks like an old Diamond Arms 12 gauge to me !.................
    All I can say is, Possibly made by Crescent FA Co. of Norwich, CT.....largest maker of "Hardware Store Shotguns" from the 1890's to the 1930's.
    "Diamond Arms Co. - (some models) made for Shapleigh Hdw. Co. of St. Louis, MO"
    Check the watertable....if it has proofmarks (look for a Crown over an oval with ELG), that means it was made in Belgium.
    If no proofs, most probably made by Crescent.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  6. twoolddogs

twoolddogs New Member

The contours of the frame and the removable hinge pin suggest the J. Stevens Arms and Tool Company Model 93 Nitro Special (extractor) or the Model 97 Nitro Special (auto ejector), both made between 1903 and 1915.