Help me find out what im doing wrong

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by darkendlight88, Oct 2, 2009.

1. darkendlight88

darkendlight88 New Member

so i took my first firearm to the shooting range today which is a ruger p95, and fired 150 rounds. i am left handed and im shooting down and right. according to the target i was shooting at i am jerkining or slapping trigger, and breaking wrist down, pushing forward or drooping head. im not sure what those mean or how to fix them. can anyone help me out. btw this was at 5 yards. i know its not too good but first time out so be easy on me [​IMG]

2. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I'll give what limited advice I know to give. Many here are more knowledgable than I and will be able to help you improve.

How are you standing? Get a good solid base and posture forward with the pistol aligned with the bones in your arm. Extend your arm to where your shoulder is directly behind it in your shooting stance.

When are you firing? Breathe, let most of the air out then 'press' the trigger before you inhale again.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009

3. darkendlight88

as far as stance here is what i was doing. i was squaring up with my legs at shoulder length with feet pointed forward. i had my knees slightly bent, and my upper body leaning forward. as far as my arms go i had them like you say. but i wasnt paying much attention to my breathing. that might help, thanks!

4. Jess

Jess New Member

I don't shoot squared to the target, it makes me feel unbalanced. And then I would start slowly and work your way up to shooting super fast. Take the time to fire right each time seperately and work your way to shooting quicker (if that is a goal you have) as for the wrist breaking you might try benchrest shooting with your wrists supported at first. my .380 is really snappy and I used to have some problems with that so now instead of pulling the trigger I try to squeeze it into my hand works for me but you should listen to the old-timers they have way more experience than me:D

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

It really looks like your just mainly shooting low. What type of sight picture are you using? I'm old school so I was trained to use the 6 o'clock hold but most newish guns are set to use the point of aim (POA) hold.

The 6 o'clock hold means you align and level the front sights at the bottom of your intended target - akin to the 6 o'clock position on a clock. The POA hold means you align and level the sights exactly at the desired point of impact - the center of the clock so to speak...

6. darkendlight88

i was definiely using the POA hold

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

For a left handed shooter, you have to mirror the page, or turn it over, so you are actually gripping the pistol too hard when you are shooting.

That target was designed for Right Handed shooters - just reverse he information. :D

JD

8. darkendlight88

the target above is the mirrored one. it says left handed in the center

9. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

At least you're consistant. Anticipation would generally have you shooting low and right if you're left handed. Concentrate on your trigger squeeze. Every shot should surprise you, within reason of course. You know while you are squeezing the trigger the weapon is going to fire, but you should not make it fire, if that makes sense. Try having someone else load your magazines and throw a few dummy rounds in them. You will definitely see that you are dipping the front sight in anticipation of the recoil, but with live rounds you don't notice it as the instant you do it, the weapon fires and recoil drives the muzzle back up. Also, during your dry fire excercises, try balancing an empty case on the top of the slide at the muzzle. You should be able to complete your trigger squeeze without the case falling off the slide. Practice dry fire, alot.

Since your group seems pretty well centered, ensure your sight picture is correct. Front sight post centered in the rear sight notch, all three level across the top, focus on the front sight and cut your target in half with the front sight (point of aim, as NGIB stated).

10. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

Your group looks good and tight to me, that's the main thing. Consistancy is very important in shooting, maybe the most important thing. You didn't hit exactly where you were aiming, but that's okay. 150 rounds in a group that small is a great starting point.
    Sights and sight pictures are not an exact science that can be factory preset to suit every shooter perfectly. That's why we have adjustable sights. Even fixed sights can usually be drift adjusted with a small punch. Try a little rear sight drift to the left, and open the range up to 15 yards, I think you will be impressed with your grouping.

11. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Damn. My bad bro. I have seen this thread so many times I already assumed that you had the standard Right hand target. I'm a Muppet. :eek:

Okay, are you shooting with the pad of your finger on the trigger, or are you shooting with the joint of the first finger on the trigger? Because that can make a difference for a lot of folks.

The only two Ruger Semi Auto pistols I have ever fired had horrible stock triggers. Since this is a new gun, I am assuming it's stock and it's possible that the long trigger pull could be giving you more time than you really need, which could result in the "Jerking" of the trigger.

This being your first firearm - I think you shot pretty damn well, to be honest. You didn't know the weapon, you didn't know the ammo, you haven't got a ton of range time under your belt, and you only put 150 rounds through a brand new piece. That target would be a dead bad guy all day long, so concentrate on the positives. :D

I would recommend some dry fire practice. A lot of it. And some of it with your eyes closed or a sleeping mask on, so you can see, in your mind, what the trigger is doing and when it's going to break ( fire ). Once you get a conditioned memory response down to the trigger, I think that you will have better luck with live rounds.

Schedule some dry fire, really pay attention to how fire you have to pull the trigger, then give some live rounds a try. I bet you improve with familiarity.

Good shooting though. The potentional is definitely there...

JD

12. hms75

hms75 New Member

If I were you I would start by taking a handgun class. They will be able to teach you the basics and get you off and running in the right direction.

13. darkendlight88

i did notice that i was using my joint to pull the trigger. ill have to work on that. if i could just raise the group and tighten it a little ill be happy. but like you said i dont think a BG will complain that i didnt have a 1" grouping in his chest. my problem with dry firing is that at home i know the gun isnt going to go off so i dont expect any recoil. but maybe practicing with no live ammo alot will cause muscle memory to take over once i do use live ammo

14. utf59

utf59 New Member

Some of the rounds were in the center of the target. Do you recall when, during your session, you scored these hits? Were they scattered throughout, at the beginning, in the middle, at the end, or after a rest?

My first piece of advice would be to try to find someone with experience to watch you shoot. We can all make guesses by looking at your target, but someone who can see what you're doing might have better guidance.

My second piece of advice is to change targets more often. That makes it easier to see how you're progressing.

Dry firing is great practice. Here's a training idea to add to your dry fire practice. Balance a coin or a spent shell casing (not a live round) on the top of your gun near the muzzle. Then practice dry firing until you can squeeze the trigger without dropping your "training aid."

15. kusterleXD

kusterleXD New Member

I haven't read all the posts so if this topic is already covered then it is my mistake. What eye are you using to shoot with? If you're left handed and shooting with your right eye you could have some problems. I was running a range in the Army where we had to put a patch on a left-handed, right-eye-dominant individual to get them accustomed to shooting with their left eye instead of their right. That person basically had the same problem you had. Also, I saw about using the meaty part of your finger tip instead of the joint and proper breath control. Both of those will help out as well.

16. darkendlight88

the rounds in the center were just scattered throughout my time at the range. its funny you mention the right eye dominant thing kusterleXD. i noticed that i was doing that at the range. i never even knew i was right eye dominant. i tried shooting with my left eye but my shots became worse so i resorted to going back to my right eye. do you think it would get better with practice. oh and utf59 i can easily balance a spent shell on the muzzle without it dropping. i was thinking it was because i know that the gun isnt going to go off

17. kusterleXD

kusterleXD New Member

If it ain't broke then don't fix it. If your shooting got worse using your left eye then use your right. The best thing you can do short of getting formal instruction is to be relaxed and comfortable shooting. Just getting familiarized with your firearm and how it handles will allow you to relax quite a bit.

18. utf59

utf59 New Member

That could easily be the case. There are a number of ways to fight that, but they all boil down to practice. Anticipating recoil was one of my favorite mistakes, even when shooting something that didn't have much recoil.

You might try a range session of squeezing the trigger s-l-o-w-l-y. Then you might notice when you begin to anticipate the recoil and still be able to adjust before you finish pulling the trigger.

19. darkendlight88

thanks everyone! i think i was definitely anticipating the recoil. after squeezing the trigger slowly i could see that i was leaning forward a little in anticipation of the recoil. ill have to work on that but thanks again for eveyones help