Help me find an upper please!!

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by broke-again124, Oct 15, 2012.

1. broke-again124

broke-again124 New Member

I'm wanting a good 6.8 spc upper for hunting purposes. So I need it to be pretty darn accurate. I have no experience with 6.8 spc and don't really know what to look for. 14.5" 16" or 18"?? Prob won't be shooting past 350-400 yds. Just wondering who makes a good one that won't break the bank. Thanks!

2. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I mean how accurate are you talking? Just about any upper with a free float handguard will be just as accurate or more than an out-of-the-box bolt gun that are commonly used for hunting.

Check out JSE Surplus

3. broke-again124

I mean I would expect 1moa at 100yds the least accurate. Does my barrel need to be hammer forged or chrome lined? Not sure if those qualities are more for durability or accuracy.

4. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

Chrome lined is geared more towards durability than accuracy. If it was me and it was going to be a hunting rig only I would look at a 18-20'' barrel to keep the velocity up. Ive been thinking about a deer caliber and I know for a fact .223 will kill them I just want something more powerful that I can use the same lower with. 6.8 seems to be the best from what Ive been able to figure.

5. Olympus

Olympus New Member

18" hammer forged barrel with a good quality BCG should give you the accuracy you want.

6. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

I would say 18" if you want a hunting gun, I would definitely stay away from 14.5" if you are looking for a hunting gun, its not worth the hassle of registering an sbr when you are better off with a long barrel.

7. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I have an LMT 16 inch, shoots 1 inch groups at 100 yards.

Silver State Armory ammo is supposed to be optimized for the 16 inch barrel, according to their website.

8. X-mark

X-mark New Member

9. broke-again124

10. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

Go is it non nfa

11. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

12. X-mark

X-mark New Member

They are non-NFA as long as the OAL, with the pinned muzzle device, is at least 16"

13. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

Go here:

http://www.ar15performance.com/home

The owner, Harrison Beane, is one of the most knowledgeable folks around when it comes to the 6.8 SPC. He helped in the design evolution from the original Remington 6.8 to the current SPC II and the 6.8 X 43 chambers. Many people refer to him as just "H", and the above mentioned site as ARP.

You will find him here, along with other good vendors for the 6.8 SPC, and more in-the-know folks in one place than anywhere else.

http://68forums.com/forums/forum.php

ARP put together an 18" stainless steel SPR profile barrel with Midwest Industries' SS freefloating handguards upper for me last year as a dedicated hunting rifle, and I couldn't be happier.