help me find a scope!

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by 95sniper, Oct 27, 2013.

1. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

So I've been looking at a scope to go on my 7mm rem mag, and I'm looking to spend around $3-500. I know this isn't a lot and a good scope cost way more.

I use the rifle mainly for targets and hunting. I already have a 4-12x40 but I want something bigger than a 40 with more magnification for longer range shooting.

I have looked at vortex vipers, they are at the top of my price range and I've looked all the way down to burris scopes. I would like your opinion on some good glass, thanks...

2. tnel74

tnel74 New Member

go with vortex, any of their scopes in your price range. im sure you could find something that fitted your needs and their warranty is unmatched

3. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

That's another reason I was looking at them. Thanks

4. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 New Member

Most Burris scopes come with their Forever warranty, so it and Vortex's VIP warranty are very similar.
    I have 2 of the Burris Fullfield 2 (6.5-20x50 with ballistic mil-dot). I wouldntve bought another one for a different rifle if the first one (approx 10yrs old) ever had any issues. Damn good scopes for the money.

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Nikon makes pretty good scopes and many of their scopes are under $200. Burris and weaver make decent scopes for a decent price.

6. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

Thanks guys, do you think a 6-20x50 is too big for hunting?

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

That would be a lot of scope for Carolina woods. I don't know what brand of scope you are currently running. A low end scope may have a big objective and magnification to make up for poorer quality glass and coatings. A truly high quality scope in a 3-9x or 4-12x is capable if giving excellent resolution clarity and being bright enough for some pretty long shots even with a 40-44mm objective.

Now if shooting long range from a bench is the primary goal, or stationary shooting at long range us the goal then higher magnification can be fine. A 6-18x is great for varmint shooting from a stationary position on small targets that are hard to pick out. But if you have to pack it in woods with shots being most likely inside if 200 yds, the extra magnification narrows your field of view and your ability to scan and find your target.

My woods gun in Georgia was a .30-30 with a 1.5-5x scope. This was light, and quick for scanning and getting on target, where shots were most likely to be inside 100 yds in the tight swampy woods I hunted.

Out here in Washington my .30-06 has a 3-9x that is nice and clear. It still givese a low power option for the woods the deer run in, and plenty of resolution for the more open Elk terrain where I'm still going to do my best to keep shots inside of 300yds, but would be confident in the ability to get good hits at 400. Beyond that, I don't feel comfortable with risking a wounded animal with a substantial head start.

8. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I see what you are saying, I probably won't really use this gun in the woods. I haven't even taken my hunters safety course yet and I want a lever action for hunting the woods. Your recommendation for scope power is exactly what I'm looking for. It's there a particular brand in mind?

9. SSGN_Doc

I liek the Nikon Buckmaster, and higher end Nikon scopes, though I have had good luck with the ProStaff that I have as well. I've also been pleased with Redfield and Burris scopes. I have an old Redfield AccuTrac that is on my Sako .30-06. It is very clear and bright and tracks true on the adjustments. The ranging and bullet drop knob are also nice features on that scope as well.

I have a Nikon Buckmaster in 6-18x for my varmint rifle. Much more than 18x and the magnification of heartbeat, and brathing becomes more of a problem than a benefit.

10. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

Ok, I'll definitely check out the the Nikon, I hear good things about them...

11. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Yes. I am not sure why you want bigger. 7MM Rem mag on large game maxes out at 500 yards as an effective range. If you are shooting over 400 it is not an ethical shot in reality. I use a 2-10x38mm and it is capable for 500 yards although for hunting most shots don't pass 300 and the scope past 7..8. My advice is stop buying glass, get something that suits the rifle for hunting, ask hunters. 4-12x40 is rather large in every respect for hunting. All a bell larger then 40..42mm is going to do is get hung up on crap, make for a really bad cheek wield. I do have a 6.5-20x42mmAO on my Varmint rig, But the game are very small at 300 and it is suited for the cartridge and intended purpose. Most medium game is taken at less then 100 yards. Even w/ a 4 power it came be an issue as you can't get a good sight picture.

12. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

In would advise checking into the NIKON Scopes. Good quality with good glass and at a good price. They have what you are looking for and the good news they are in your price range!:)

13. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I know I mentioned hunting, but I mean I am generally using this rifle for targets. Thanks for the input.

14. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

7MM Rem Mag for targets?? Your rifle has a sporter barrel, not a target gun, it is a hunter. You should trade it in on something that will be cheaper to shoot and is intended for targets. Many people try to make a firearm something it is not. That ends up in frustration. I have the same rifle as you, but with a wood stock. I check zero w/ a couple rounds for hunting season and that is all the range time it sees. It is not a rifle you can put 50..100 rounds a day through.

15. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I will eventually and will probably use the scope on another rifle. This is just my first rifle and I enjoy using it on targets. I'm taking my hunters safety course in November.

16. SSGN_Doc

Not all sporter weight barrels are out of target shooting class. I have a Sako that doesn't walk or wander as it warms up. I've put a 20 round string out there with no significant POI wandering at 200 yds. It kind of shocked me the first time I did it. It's one of the things that put that on my "do not sell this one" list.

Alot has to do with how the barrel is made, rifled and stress relieved. Of course mine is not a magnum, that would heat faster either.

I have definitely had other rifles that did wander as they warmed up. So, generally you are right. If I was building a dedicated target gun I would opt for something more rigid, and that would heat and cool slower.

And I agree that a 7mm Mag would not be my choice for tearing paper and putting a lot of rounds down range. Due to price and increased recoild and potential flinch issues later in a course of fire.

17. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I agree with the man above I could achieve better accuracy and use a cheaper bullet. I will reload and I don't mind the recoil. I go with some friends and only shot about 20 rounds in an afternoon anyways.

As far as a scope I was looking at a Burris fullfield 4.5-14x42 I think and its right at $300 on midway.

18. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

A quality 3-9X40 makes for one hell of a good hunting scope. Nikon Buckmaster scopes are very good for the price , There are a few others out there in the same price range that are good scopes

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  19. artbrownsr

artbrownsr Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

To answer that: a) which game? b)What terrain? c) What are YOUR capabilities?
    For instance here in Alaska, most of my shots are under 200 yards do to clear shot conditions through brush etc. Black bear and moose are my primary game again shorter range usually presenting decent targets. My capabilities are the shorter the steadier (less moa movement). so for me a Black Bear at 100 yards in a small clearing has about a 4-6 inch heart lung target, my 4-9 Bushnel does the job just fine. where I would probably have difficulty finding a comfortable shot at a Pronghorn on the open lands of Montana etc.

20. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013