Help Me Decide

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by sthippe1992, Dec 2, 2013.

1. sthippe1992

sthippe1992 New Member

Well folks this is going to be my first post so please bear with me! I turn 21 on Christmas day and will be receiving my LCTF (Pennsylvania permit) by the 28th. :D I already own a Beretta 92fs Compact that used to be my dads duty pistol. I also will be receiving a Glock 19 on the 25th as a xmas/bday gift. I plan on ordering a Kahr CM 9 pistol to use as a BUG or deep concealment piece. My goal is to have several pistols for different types of weather and levels of concealment. I have about another 500$ to spend on another pistol. What would you buy to complement the pistols I will already have?

2. G30USMC

G30USMC Well-Known Member Supporter

Glock 17, full size 9mm :)

3. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

No pistol collection is compete with out a 1911!!!!

4. G30USMC

G30USMC Well-Known Member Supporter

Said no one ever ;)

5. Point6liter

Point6liter New Member

I recommend the S&W Shield in 9mm over the kahr. I had a cm9, good gun, but I definitely like my shield much better. All around more comfortable ergonomically, better trigger with less work, more accurate, among other attributes. I also own a G19, (personal favorite) sold my G17 to my brother because he begged me for it. Now, I want a 1911.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Collections are nice if they are all quality firearms.

To amass a multitude of firearms is not creating a collection, just gathering.

Consider your needs. As a fairly new shooter, you probably do not understand the importance of muscle memory in regards for firearms.
    (In other words, consider getting those with the same controls in the same position).

7. sthippe1992

sthippe1992 New Member

Is the G17 large enough to justify buying it even though I will already have a G19?

8. sthippe1992

sthippe1992 New Member

I have shot the Kahr and loved it. I have not been able to locate a Shield to try out yet. I love 1911s but for now I want to stay in the 9mm market. Does anyone have experience with a 9mm 1911 in my price range?

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

RIA has a 9mm and those are inexpensive 1911s.

10. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

This is some of the best information to ever be handed out for free.

11. sthippe1992

sthippe1992 New Member

What you are saying makes perfect sense and that is why I decided on the Kahr/Glock combo for my main CCW weapons. I believe the Kahr is similar in use to the Glocks with the exception of different triggers. I have over 1000 rounds of range ammo to practice with and my own range so I plan to shoot and learn both guns inside and out. The Beretta is mostly a range toy and somewhat sentimental (since is was my dads first issued pistol) but I have put close to 1000 rounds thorugh it. I already have a very good feel for the gun. I was thinking about a CZ or CZ clone in fullsize, one with the same controls as the Beretta to help keep things simple.

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

DanFFL gave some great advice, that i agree with.

my suggestion is this, start hitting different gun stores and pawn shops and start getting a feel for what fits you. the pistol that fits your hand the best, is usually the pistol that you will shoot the best and hitthe most accurately with.

if you find something that appeals to you and you aren't sure about it, then by all means ask questions before buying it, not afterwards. there are many, many members here and surely some will have some experiance or knowledge of whatever you find and be able to give you some insight into it.

13. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco New Member

BondArms Texas Defender in .357.

14. hq357

hq357 New Member

Check out sig sauers stainless versions kinda look like beefy 1911s but sexier

15. hq357

hq357 New Member

Check out sig sauers stainless versions kinda look like beefy 1911s but sexier

16. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

And I would offer you the exact opposite advice. I was very excited to get my hands on a Shield, then I felt the trigger. I carry a Kahr every day. To each his own.

17. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 New Member

18. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Sounds like you have the mid size to small covered By a glock 34 for a full size pistol , good for some range /match needs and start shooting with a local club. Staying with one caliber his it good points but you may want to start thinking about a reloading set up.

19. JW357

JW357 New Member

I rather agree. Meaning mine isn't complete.

I've heard good things. OP, if you want a 9mm 1911 in your price range, in my opinion these will be your best bet.

Scott, was the Shield you experienced a newer one or one of the early models? Its my understanding they've fixed the triggers on them.

OP, you might consider getting started in reloading rather than buying another gun. That way you can continue shooting lots and lots on the several guns you already have / will soon have.

If you don't feel up to reloading, consider just buying more ammo. One can never have enough.

However if you simply must have another gun, just go to gun stores and see what fits your hand the best. If you can rent it all the better.

Regarding the Glock 17 suggestion, I really don't understand that one for this particular individual. He already has a Glock 19. The only difference is size and capacity and you can shoot G17 mags in the 19 so capacity is a moot point.

Now, OP, even though you said you want to keep it in 9mm, I would be remiss if I didn't mention revolvers. Like a 1911, I believe everyone needs a good wheel gun chambered in .357 Magnum in their collection. You should be able to find a good Ruger or S&W, possibly on the used market, for within your budget, with some left over for.ammo too.

Also if you haven't already please stop by tho Introduction area and tell us about yourself. :)

20. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

It was one of the first one's to hit the shelves. The trigger was crunchy, not what I expected of a Smith at all. I was expecting something more along the lines of the M&P 22 which has a fantastic trigger.