Help me Choose,S&W .38 snub or Ruger GP100 .357

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by ninjatoth, Dec 17, 2009.

1. S&W 637 .38 Snub

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  2. Ruger GP100 .357 6"

22 vote(s)
    81.5%
  1. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I have my eye one 2 guns,and without a doubt,one of them will be my next gun,my second gun next to a 9mm auto.First off,I have no practical need for a .38 snub,since I will not be carrying it,and the .357 makes more sense because it will be a range/home defense gun,but I like what I like,overall I like the .38 snub better as far as looks and the coolness factor,but I guess a huge .357 has it's own kind of coolness too.My 2 choices are the S&W 5 shot 637 exposed hammer 1and7/8" barrel VS the Ruger GP100 .357 with probably a 6" barrel.As some of you know,I can't get my CCW where I live because of a mental health clause that snags me up,and with that snub I feel like I would always be wishing I had my CCW,as where a 6" GP100,nobody carries,and maybe I would feel less temptation to get mad about not getting my CCW.I like both guns and both are beautiful to me,I love revolvers,my 9mm bores me to death,I know most of you will say go with the .357,but what do you guys honestly like better?

Attached Files:

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

If you aren't going to conceal carry, get the GP100. You will not be sorry.

3. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I guess they are both cool. Only you can decide which one is cooler.

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Seems like the best option to me as well. My 6 inch .357 is a Colt but they are great guns to have on hand - you could even hunt with one if needs be...

[​IMG]

5. utf59

utf59 New Member

I'd say get the .357. You have a choice of ammo, the longer barrel means more accuracy (fun at the range), and the capability of shooting hotter rounds means more power for home defense.

6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Not even a contest. Go 357. You can still shoot 38s. I have 2 S&W revolvers and like them both. I also have a SP101 and love it. Go with the GP, you'll be well served.

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

GP100 hands down. [​IMG]

8. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

The design purpose of those two revolvers is so far apart you can't really compare them:eek:. A, J frame snub nose and a six inch medium frame revolver, true they both shoot .357 but that's all they have in common. Guns that are bought for the "coolness" are all too often traded/sold later at a loss after the "coolness" wears off.

9. greenjeans

greenjeans New Member

GP100, but I would go with a 4" barrel.

10. Wings-ofthe-Luftwaffe

Wings-ofthe-Luftwaffe New Member

Ruger is the only wise option. If its just for shooting and fun you dont want that tiny barrel.

11. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

Not to be rude, but what is the point of having a firearm that you aren't going to carry? Granted, I don't carry a shotgun, I want to make sure everything i have the size of a handgun is carryable. I say snub... but just for carry. Then again, the GP100 could be Dirty Harry style with a shoulder rig. F it. Gp100 is it.

12. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

You'll get a LOT more use and shooting out of the Ruger. It'll be MUCH better (more versatile) for plinking and possibly hunting if you're so inclined. You can even use it for home defense. Also the Ruger will be so much more pleasant to shoot it's not even a contest. If you were talking concealed carry the choice would be different.

13. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I need to clear up the fact that I am not putting one against the other,rather they are simply 2 guns that I happen to like,for whatever reason,I like them both,and both are small guns,relatively speaking,compared to a shotgun or something.I want my home defense gun to be a handgun so that if I get attacked,it can't be grabbed away from me like someone might do with a shotgun barrel.Handguns have their place outside of carry,and make great home defense guns due to lack of overpenetration and manueverability.I will probably settle on the Ruger GP100 simply because I don't need a carry gun,so a little extra size don't matter,and from the sounds of it I will have a tougher gun that way.

14. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Since you seem to be concerned about "over-penetration" in the home, you might want to consider Glaser Safety Slugs or FrangibleAmmo, especially if you live in an apartment or in close quarters....and especially if you go with
    the .357.

15. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I voted for the GP100 of course. . . but my true answer is always the same for these questions. GET BOTH!!!

16. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

I second that :D

17. OC357

OC357 New Member

Get the Ruger .357 first..............after that you will not want the snubbie.

OC

18. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I really think I am going to go with the Ruger .357 after hearing some different input.Most of you say that Ruger is actually higher quality than S&W,and doesn't have the internal locks that S&W has.I like that,I like simple and tough.I want a good plinker,but most of all I want a good home defense gun that don't have safties,slides,internal locks etc,and for home defense 6 .357s is better than 5 .38s,it's more than 2X the firepower of that .38.I don't know why,but on the GP100 I like the 6" barrel.I could do the 4",and I like short barrels usually,but I just like the way the GP looks with a longer barrel.If it was a SP,I probably would think a 6" was ugly,the bigger the gun,the longer the barrel can get and look well proportioned,but on a small framed gun,6" would look stupid.It's going to be a month before I get the gun,since I will be buying it on tax refund,but I WILL get this gun.

19. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I will inform you of what many other member know so far about me:I have OCD,which is considered a "mental illness",and under Michigan law,mental illness prohibits me from getting a carry permit,but that does not take away from the fact that I love handguns,use them for home defense,and plink with them.I will never understand why the state prohibits CCW to someone who is allowed handgun ownership and open carry,but that's a whole nother long post I got going.

20. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

MoHawk, I and my wife have probable 20 to 25 handguns, and that many long guns and many are not for carry. We love to go out plinking in the desert, hunting coyotes, or play strip bullseye, but the point is there are a lot of reasons to have a firearm and not carry it.

The world of firearms does not revolve around CC, you need to broaden your horizons.