Help me choose my upper

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by optimator, Sep 10, 2011.

1. optimator

optimator New Member

First off, great forum. Lots of good info here. I'm going to build my first AR, and would like some help. It's going to be a weekend plinker along with some yote shooting. But I also want it to be a SHTF weapon. My next build will be a dedicated varmiter, so I'm choosing from these four:

Stag 2H

LMT Carbine

BCM BFH Middie

BCM Standard Carbine

The Stag looks like one hell of a bargain. Especially considering it comes with a rear site. But the BCM and the LMT seem like quite a bit better quality. What would you go with? And why?

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

If you have your next gun planned, go with the economy model.

Sounds like it'll do everything you want it to.

3. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

The BCM midlength is what I'd go with. Softer shooting and more than durable.

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I'd also go with the BCM midlength. I noticed the lightweight BFH middy is in stock. A shame that so many uppers are out of stock now. :(

5. optimator

optimator New Member

Thanks guys. I just ordered the BHF 16" middie and BCG. Now to decide on the rest of it...

6. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Thats even easier than the upper. Go to G&R Tactical and order a BCM blem lower for under $300.

7. optimator

optimator New Member

I already have a Mega machine shop Gator lower. I just have to figure out sights and furniture. I'll probably go with a Stag LPK.

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I've had good luck with Stag LPKs. You probably can add it to your BCM order... to save shipping.

Let us know how your build goes. It's starting out great!

9. optimator

optimator New Member

I just tried to add the LPK along with a Gunfighter charging handle. It said my order was too far along to make changes. I sent them an email so we'll see what happens.

10. optimator

optimator New Member

Well, she's done! BCM wouldn't let me make any changes to my order. They said I'd have to cancel and reorder to keep from getting nailed with shipping on both orders. So I canceled it and while I was waiting for the $ to be credited back to my card.... I bought a Noveske upper :D I had no idea these folks were in my own back yard. I don't yet have rails for the hand guards, but the covers are in the pic none the less
    :p

Attached Files:

11. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Nice choice on the upper, really nice. We would have recommended it but you didn't give us the option :).

I'm going to make a suggestion. Skip putting rails on the MOE HG. It'll make that thing even heavier and more bulky. Anything I've wanted to mount IWC had a solution to avoid adding the extra weight of rails and still keep everything compact and tight.

Impact Weapons Components

12. vmkeith

vmkeith New Member

Nice broomstick. Noveske is a good choice...and IMHO the best AR on the market. I put a Rouge Hunter 6.8 SPC upper on an Aero Precision lower I built. Fit and finish was perfect...no regrets.