Help me choose a stripped lower.

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by rccalzadilla, Aug 16, 2011.

1. rccalzadilla

rccalzadilla New Member

Which would you choose for a first time builder? I am purchasing this locally in Miami.( Of course, I want quality and price):

Bushmaster XM-15 stripped receiver (no stock). Mil-spec quality.
    Caliber: .223/5.56
    Finish: Parkerized
    Built to Mil-Specs
    $219.00 plus tax=$234.33

New Aero Precision AP15 AR15 type Multi Caliber Stripped Lower Receiver. Excellent fit and finish. Features HK style Pictograms for the selector markings. Marked "MULTI CAL".
    $199.95 plus tax=$213.95

I welcome any and all suggestions. I have about $1300.00 to spend for an AR15 M4. Flat rail top, collapsin rear sight, fixed front sight and an optical site (not telescope). Adjustable (6 position) butt stock. Chromed barrel and chamber. Non competition trigger.

Still have to find out is Miami,FL is ok for a 16" barrel with flash hider.
    thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2011
  2. JonM

JonM Moderator

when i was looking for a stripped lower i picked rock river arms. prolly not what your looking for tho :)

3. rccalzadilla

rccalzadilla New Member

Receiver choice?

If I knew where to get it I may buy Rock River Arms.
    Can you point me?
    tks

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Well those prices are extremely high for a stripped lower! :eek: Even if you pay top dollar it shouldn't be much more than $135. Surely you can find a local place to beat that. Otherwise, find a FFL that'll do a transfer for about $25 and shop around online. Most lowers are fine so shop for price and the rollmark you like best.

5. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Those are crazy high prices for lowers from those mamufacturers. Spikes are 80ish. My Daniel Defense was only $125. Palmetto State has nice lowers in the $80 range as well.

6. rccalzadilla

rccalzadilla New Member

Wow! I almost got taken for a ride. Thanks so much for your comments.
    Definitely going to look around harder. Maybe even call the mfrs. so find out who sells their stuff locally, or are these online only mfrs.?

7. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

RC, I'm across the way from you in Naples and my local gun store got me a stripped Armalite lower for around $120 OTD just a couple of weeks ago. The prices you are quoting are way high, even for Florida. :eek:

Shop around, surely you can find a gun store that'll deal straight with you. :cool:

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Snake's right, $120 for an ArmaLite is about right, in fact that's what I paid for an Armalite. I got a S&W for $130 and recently a Valkyrie for $100. None of those had a transfer fee because I bought from the gun shop. MJ got a great deal on the Daniel Defense for only $125 and like he said PSA and Spikes are around $80 but you'll likely have to add a transfer fee.

The $80 lowers are fine and with a $25 tranfer fee are around $100. You can kick in $30 or so more for a rollmark you just gotta have and still come out smelling like a rose. I'd pay the extra to get something to be proud of. I kick myself for not jumping on the $125 DD like MJ did!

9. rccalzadilla

rccalzadilla New Member

Thanks so much for your replies.
    With your encouragements I'll go out and look for the right dealer and price.
    What does "rollmark" refer to?

10. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Wow, what an opening! Quentin, you gotta show him your Valkerie. :cool:

FYI, Rollmark:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  11. JonM

JonM Moderator

i got my rra lower from a local stocking dealer who had it in the display case.

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

rccalzadilla, Snake already answered your question but take a gander at our lower receiver thread and find a lower you can't live without! :p
    http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/pictures-lower-receivers-38440/

13. Car54

Car54 New Member

Click on this link and check out the prices of the stripped lowers. [ame=http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=stripped+lowers&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8]stripped lowers - Google Search[/ame]

If there is one you like at the price you like, order it, then have a local FFL dealer send his license info to the place where you ordered from. They will send the lower to the FFL where it will be transferred to you. Check around for FFL's, some will transfer for as low as $15, some a lot higher. $25 is about the norm.

14. GunNut

GunNut New Member

Got a blemished Spikes upper for $60 directly from Spikes and found a blemished Spikes Lower for $79.95 (Included shipping) at AIM Surplus. The blemishes were not that bad; double "T" markings on the upper and a couple of bumps in the finish on the right side of the lower.

Then I got a Smith Enterpirse chrome plated bolt and bolt carrier for $75 and I was off and running. Used a DPMS 204 heavy barrel and had it chopped down to 18"...

I now have one hell of an accurate 12 pound 204 AR. :eek:

15. rccalzadilla

rccalzadilla New Member

Just found a dealer who will charge $25.00 transfer fee and very near my house.
    The search is on for which stripped receiver.
    thanks

16. rccalzadilla

rccalzadilla New Member

Why do you prefer RRA even though higher priced?
    thanks

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  17. canebrake

canebrake New Member

18. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Now you're cookin'! That's more like it. To a great extent, Ar lowers are pretty much the same with only some aeasthetic differences. As long as it's a forged aluminum mil-spec. type, the parts that go inside it are more important. As Quentin says, get one that has the rollmark appearance you like. Spikes Tacticals are very popular and they are from Florida. :cool:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  19. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Yeah, like Snake said now you're cookin'. $25 is a fair transfer fee so now you can choose a good lower deal online and have it sent to your FFL. Again look at the lower receiver thread and pick something you like. Spikes makes quite a few nice looking lowers (different rollmarks, too) that shouldn't have any problems.