Help me: 1911 decision making

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Bronco141414, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Bronco141414

Bronco141414 New Member

Hello everybody! I have decided to get a 1911 after thoroughly thinking. I have seen MANY many people mention the Rock Island Tactical line of 1911's going for around $450. They seem pretty plain Jane to me. The Remington R1 caught my eye for a little bit until i realized many of it is made out of good ole America. And finally what caught my eye the most is Ruger's SR1911. It is a pretty stainless steel, American made, Lifetime warranty gun. My complaint is the price is around $650 right now (plus shipping fee's if i bought online). Anybody have some recommendations on what it best or what they would buy? Tough decision and originally i wanted to stay under $500 dollars.

Another name i heard was Springfield but i really want to keep under $600 but ya know a gun's gotta last! Thanks guys! :cool:

Attached Files:

• Ruger.jpg
      Ruger.jpg
      File size:
      30.4 KB
      Views:
    • RI.jpg
      RI.jpg
      File size:
      31.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  2. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

you will not be disappointed with a Rock Island 1911. I've had mine for about 2 years now & the only issue I've had is one FTF using an aftermarket mag. great value for the money

I thought the tactical was pretty far from "plain jane" what with adjustable sights, extended beavertail, & skeleton trigger & all...

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

4. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

Buy the Rock Island Tactical.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

The ones you listed the ruger is the best of em.

The samples I've seen were very nice and ruger does a good job supporting after the sale.

I would save a little more and get the ruger.

6. JW357

JW357 New Member

So you're interested in American made, right?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Springfield Armory import Croatian guns? Or is that just the XD line? Someone set me straight.

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the XD and XDm series are made in Croatia for SA. the 1911's can be made in the US or Brazil.

8. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Another vote for Rock Island.

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

With Springfield 1911s the frames and slides are mostly forged in Brazil at a military contract forge house. Some are milled, fitted and finished in Brazil, others are sent as raw forgings to the US and Spingfield does the rest of the work. The guns that are over 80% worked in the US and fitted with US parts are considered US made. The others are marked "Made in Brazil". Most of the US guns are marked with NM prefixes in the serial number. Some of the high end Springfields use all American parts as well, including the frame and slide.

XD series guns are Croatian.

10. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I have the Remington R1 S and there is not a thing wrong with it. However I was looking at the Ruger and I would do as Jon M said and save till I could afford it.

11. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Whenever I buy a gun, I always check with Ruger first. Then I'll compare it with Remington and Smith&Wesson.

If the Ruger quality matches the others, then I will get the Ruger.

Ruger always gives you a break on the price -- not sure how they do that being American made.

And the Smiths and the Remingtons are normally more expensive.

I have heard of some problems with RIA and Springfield, so I would be wary of those two -- preferring a used one I could try out and test first to make sure there are no flaws -- not new out of the box.

Good luck with your decision, and I hope you love your classic 1911A1.

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

please link some credible sources of links proving that there are problems with the RIA and the Springfield Armory pistols. did you think we are simply just going to accept something you say as a fact?:rolleyes:

i'm calling BS on that one simply because, if anything reviews by owners and writers in the magazines tends to say those comments of yours to be false.

13. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

You make the call. Axxe is correct, my RIA 1911 9mm has never failed to function, eats lowest cost, steel case ammo like pouring hot butter through a sieve.

14. Bronco141414

Bronco141414 New Member

I got the Ruger sr1911! Paid 700 out the door

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

15. Bronco141414

Bronco141414 New Member

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1397937186.295255.jpg

16. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

Here's my opinion. Not like it matters since most ignore it anyway. Buy either the Ruger or the Remington. I owned the Remington R1 Enhanced for a while and loved it. Accurate (it comes with a match grade barrel and bushing) and zero functioning issues. 1911's should be made in the USA and shoot 45 ACP. Sure the Remington has parts that aren't 100% American but more so than the RIA. I think a 1911 should be made in the USA and shoot .45 caliber bullets not 9mm, not .40, not .38 Super, not 10mm.

17. Fred_G

Fred_G Member

Nice looking pistol! :D

Digging the black slide stop, safety and mag release.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  18. Bronco141414

Bronco141414 New Member

Thanks! Can't wait to shoot it

19. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

Congratulations. Great look.

Now have fun.

20. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Respect your opinion but respectfully Disagree. As I've gotten older, I've Adapted to the 9MM, and got my first 1911 in that chambering. For an overseas made gun, the RIA shoots well. I still love my Colts....they are all 45ACPs. If I could Afford a Commander in 9MM I'd have bought it( if I could afford it).

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014