Help M1911 Accuracy

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by snyder77, Jan 5, 2012.

1. snyder77

snyder77 New Member

got a 1911 that at 15 yards wont hit a soda can and at 40 is about 10 feet off...could there be a problem with the gun? It hasnt been shot is 4-5 years

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Fist thing i'd try is another shooter- No offense :eek:

3. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I would say you need to shoot it more often to determine if either you just need to get use to it again, the particular ammunition, or the sights might be a tad off.

4. jdgeroy

jdgeroy New Member

First-Inspect your sights.

If your sights are OK (which I doubt) try shooting it from a stable platform (sandbag) to see if you were just having a bad day.

5. fisher79

fisher79 New Member

More than likely a sighting problem. I did have a 1911 that done that but found my rifling was shot. Don't shoot in close quarters with that bad boy:)

6. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Put the gun on paper first to see where you are grouping. You may not even be grouping at all (which would not likely be a sight issue). What kind of sights are on the gun? Did it shoot good for you in the past? Has it been dropped or knocked around since then?

7. snyder77

snyder77 New Member

My Father shot it too and he noticed it was way off also...its a springer GI (i think) basic sights

8. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I had a rear sight come loose on my 1911...shoddy gunsmith. You couldn't tell just by looking or even trying to move it by hand, but the recoil after every round moved it slightly to another position. Caused it to have the occasional "flyer" at first, then began to place shots in an erratic manner....not grouping at all.

9. snyder77

snyder77 New Member

firing winchester jacketed hollow points

10. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I'd check the sights...like Olympus said, get it on paper. Preferably rested to reduce as much variation as possible. Go from there.

11. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Paper from a rest is going to provide you with a lot more answers. If you're grouping to one side of the other, then your rear sight might need drifting. With basic GI sights, there's nothing that can be done to affect elevation. So if you're grouping high or low, just make Kentucky windage adjustment. If you're not grouping at all, then you may have some internal issue.

12. snyder77

snyder77 New Member

probley gonna try it again on saturday and ill see what I can do. I just find it hard to believe that its the sights,because its so far off that you can really use kentucky windage

13. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Is it a Series-80 Colt?
    With the "collett" barrel bushing?

If so, the legs have been known to break. If one is broken or cracked, the barrel is not being held as it should.

14. snyder77

snyder77 New Member

my dad bought it in the 80s if thats what your asking

15. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

In an earlier post it was stated to be a Springfield GI model. No collet bushing.

As previously mentioned.
    Inspect the gun to make sure there is nothing amiss.
    See where it's hitting on paper from a rest. Unless you are just that darned good, everything else is guesswork.
    If all else fails, take it to a smith.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  16. snyder77

snyder77 New Member

everything looks good ,but its shooting so far off that adjustable sights wouldn't make a difference. I'm confident that at those ranges I could have hit it with my crosman bb gun in one shot.