Help ? Looking for a nice lever action!?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Gorkman, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Gorkman

Gorkman New Member

Hello
    I am new to threads and I am in the market to buy a nice lever action Rifle , My father had ome Wheni was younger and i am in searchof one similer to it .I beleave it was a 30-30 lever action and had some brass color to it .Myfather is no longer alive he passed away in 92' and rite after he passed all his stuff was stolen. Not sure whato aske for Or what to spend on one i am thinking around the 1200.00 range but asking advise on what to get or not get if anyone wouldnt mind helping me with this plz
    Thank you for reading.

2. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

When it comes to lever guns, I'm a big fan of Henry. Check out their web site look at the various models. They make a nice 30-30 model with a blued steel frame or brass. It has a octagon barrel. Nice looking rifle.

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I've had Winchester and Marlin. While both function fine my choice would be a Winchester. I have never owned a Henry but Paladin201 seems to know his stuff and he likes them. Those three are the most popular lever guns. Any of those three will serve you fine for many years to come.

4. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

Agreed. I've owned Marlins as well. Good, solid guns. Never owned a Winchester, but know them by reputation. I don't think you could go wrong with either of the three. Henry just happens to be my personal favorite.

5. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

I would expect your father had the old stand bye a Mdl. 94 Winchester. They have set the course for all 30-30 lever actions across the globe. If in fact he had a Mdl. 94 it would have been what is now refered to as a Pre-64 Mdl. 94. This Pre-64 means it was made before the changes of 1964. These guns can be found at gun shows and online auctions. You can expect to pay around $700 or $800 for a real nice 94 Winchester 30-30.:)

6. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Pre-64 means it was manufactured BEFORE 1964? Hmmm....how 'bout that.

:D :D

(sorry, couldn't resist ;) )

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The two most popular deer rifles in the US are the Winchester 94

_30_30_winchester_94_.jpg

And the Marlin 336

30-30 Marlin.jpg

Both in 30-30 caliber

Henry is also making a nice lever action

30-30 Henry.jpg

Browning made an EXCELLENT lever action, but they are fairly scarce. There have been lever actions made from a .22 to a Moose gun. You can spend a few hundred $$$, or a LOT of money. Take yer pick- but they are all fun.

8. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I've owned all three (marlin, henry, Winchester) and they are all fine rifles. I currently own a Henry big boy .45 Colt, and a Marlin 30A in .30-30. The Winchester was stolen back in 1992. I'm still sick about it.

The Henry by FAR has the smoothest action. The Winchester's lever was sloppy, but smooth otherwise and was a GREAT shooter. Not to mention it was a '94...what else needs to be said? The Marlin is smooth ant tight, and a deer SLAYER. Took a 12 pointer in 2008 that weighed 175 lbs dressed out.

$1200.00 should buy a real nice example of any of these. Maybe even pick two for that.

9. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

I wanted to explain a point that may not have been clear to an honest question. I have always gone that extra mile to help people wanting to undersand firearms. If you notice I stated the "Changes" in the Pre-64. This is a common term among Winchester folks.:rolleyes:

10. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Have to admit...I forgot about the brownings. Probably the most beautiful LA guns made. (sorry Winchester).

Saw a browning in .22LR at the last gun show, and MAN that little sucker was purty!!

11. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

PM sent...........

12. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco New Member

I would also recommend a Henry. I would also suggest looking into one of the pistol round levers (.357, .44, .45). You can then purchase a SA revolver of the same caliber and have twice as much fun shooting!

13. Gorkman

Gorkman New Member

I want to thank all who replied to mythread it was most helpfull. At first i had a hard time locating any nice rifles today but mylast place to look turnd out to be where i should have looked first lol since it is onlytwo blocks from where I live.
    Found a nice henry big-boy golden .45 cal. Total cost with tax was a little over 800.00 and i was very satisfied very nice rifle .!
    Thanks again guys.

14. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Nice rifle. Love mine. Congrats!

15. Johnny357

Johnny357 New Member

Take note that the Henrys loads from the very front end of the tube, unlike most other level actions. That always bothers me a bit when shooting my buddy's Henry.

16. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco New Member

17. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Don't forget about Uberti,they make some awfully nice lever action rifles.
    I have a Uberti 1873 in 45LC and love it,they also make the 1866 Yellowboy and 1860 Henry that have the Brass receivers.

http://www.uberti.com/

18. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I have an Uberti cattleman birds head SAA on order. Been 3mos now. :(

They do make really nice rifles, as well.

19. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

The orginal Henery Rifles had to be loaded from the front of the magazine. This was considered a weakness in this firearm. A serious shooter did not like lowering his rifle and backing off a follower to reload. The great improvment of the day was a rifle that loaded from the breech. The Winchester took over the market with a modern rifle that allowed the shooter to face his target and never lower and disassembly his rifle to reload it. It seems that modern man is going backwards.:rolleyes:

20. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Yeah...backwards just like every time someone rides a horse. Or hunts with a black powder rifle. Or bow and arrow. Or drives a '57 chevy, or.............