Help in Identifing

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by peevee60, Jan 27, 2010.

1. peevee60

peevee60 New Member

I have a civil war revolver. The best I can come up with is a Colt 1848 3rd sreies.The serial # 2876 is stamped everywhere and it is stamped with the words " 5th Georgia Cavalry" on the side. Any Help would help.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      78.5 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      83.9 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      77.2 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      92.9 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      86.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  2. MUZZLESMOKE

MUZZLESMOKE New Member

I don't know who made it. But it is a reproduction, made in Italy or Spain back in the 60s. It is nice and I would sure like to have it if you want to sell it. Or trade for black powder pistol or revolver, and some cash. Let me know and I'm going to see if I can find out more about it. If I do I'll let you know.
    Thanks and let me know please. Where did you find it?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Outstanding revolver! Wish I could help but all I could do is drool on the thing.

I'm sure someone will be along to help in this mystery.

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Oh yea, Hop over to the Introductions section and let us know a little about you.

5. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

10 minutes ago I would have agreed with Muzzlesmoke and said REPLICA. Now I'm
    not so sure. Figured the stamped numbers/letters were just screaming replica,
    but then I found this.

Look HERE: THE GRISWOLD & GUNNISON REVOLVER

It's just barely possible that it is indeed an original Griswold and Gunnison 1862 revolver.

Does it have any makers name on it anywhere? Pietta, Armi San Marco--anything?
    Does it have any proof marks on it anywhere? Bottom of the barrel? Cylinder?

If not---don't do ANYTHING to it. Don't clean it, don't polish it, nothing more than
    wiping it down with a bit of oil on a rag.

There are probably more replica Griswolds out there than real ones, but if you do
    happen to have a real Griswold and Gunnison, and especially if you can prove the
    5th Georgia Cavalry connection, it has some real value.

6. MUZZLESMOKE

MUZZLESMOKE New Member

Revolver

Bill I believe that you are right. But. it doesn't look to be 160 years old. That could mean that who every owned. Kept oiled and cleaned up over the years. That is or maybe an orginal revolver. In which case it would be worth a lot of money. I would love to have it. But can't afford it. It would go great with my 1857 Tower 3 band Enfield. Pevee if you are into black powder you should keep. You should even if you are not.
    Not so good at posting pictures. If I can I'll post my Tower..........which I will never sell. Musket 002.jpg

7. peevee60

peevee60 New Member

Thanks Guys mI will follow up on your segestions. I live in Pa. I have taken it to a local gun shop who couldn't do much. He has sugested I take it to a shop in Gettysburg, Pa who specialize in civil war guns (about an hour away) If that doesn't work he also suggested the Baltimore Gun Show in March. I will keep you posted. Thanks again. Half the fun of owning it is tracking down what it is.

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Good luck with your research and please let us know what you find. :cool:

9. BillM

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  10. MUZZLESMOKE

MUZZLESMOKE New Member

Peevee, If you do want to sell, I collect reproduction revolver and pistols.
    Or we could maybe make a trade. Let me know what you want to do. If you want I can sed you some pictures.
    Thanks

11. opaww

opaww New Member

From what I have found so far this is an authentic Griswold and Gunnison. It matches all descriptions of their revolvers. The A stamped on the front of the trigger guard may indicate this was made by Arvin N. Gunnison, the number 26 in front of the trigger is cryptic and is unknown as of right now what it applies to, (but I am still looking)

This particular pistol may have a name of the owner, searching all names of the 5th Georgia Calvary, if have found the matched initials of R.A. on the hand grip to the names of,

Captain Richard F Aikin
    Private Robert Allen
    A possible gift from one General R.H. Anderson to his brother Clifford W. Anderson of the 5th Georgia Calvary

I am sure this is not a reproduction though it’s history I will attempt to find out more on. So hang on to it.

12. opaww

opaww New Member

A small but maybe important update here, it would seem that a Colonel R.H. Anderson was asseigned to the 5th Georgia Calvary and later was commissioned Brigadier General. So this hand gun may of belonged to him personally.

13. opaww

opaww New Member

From July 1862 until the end of the civil War Griswold and Gunnison produced these revolvers, their serial numbers went up to 3,700 based on the known revolvers made by them between 1862 and 1864.

This is a brass-framed copy of the 1851 Colt Navy, in .36 cal. There were 2 different models made one with a round top to the barrel lug, and one with an octagon top.

The Serial numbers are stamped with individual digits larger then on other guns of the Confederate. The serial numbers will be found on the right or left side of the frame and barrel lug, on the cylinder, and some times in front of the trigger guard as the one you have.

The A on the left side of the trigger guard sometimes was a Y but is unknown as to its real meaning, as is the 2 digit number 26 on the one you have.

I cannot find out yet if this is one was actually owned by R.H. Anderson but it would fit the bill, as one an officer would have with custom handgrips with his initials in them.

Who ever this belonged to, the one thing you can be sure of and that it is not a reproduction.

opaww

14. peevee60

peevee60 New Member

Thanks, I have been spending countless hours searching the 5th Calvery and There is very few people that fit the intitals. Thanks again for the help. It is my fathers gun, he has collected guns all his life , I have no idea where he found this one but what it was was a puzzle to him. Hopefully this info will fill in some blanks. Thanks again

15. CA357

This is great stuff and very exciting. :)

16. opaww

opaww New Member

This pistol is a lead into history sense it takes you all over the place to read some of the Civil War history.

I am kind of hoping you will think it is just some reproduction and let me buy it from you for $100 U.S. + shipping.

17. peevee60

peevee60 New Member

OPAWW if half of what you have found and in combination of what I found is true I Bet you would like it for $100.00 The civil war history is where I feel I must continue the search. Way out of my my expertise. Being a yankee and all. As we know the more history that goes with a peice the more valuable it becomes. Once again I thank you for all your time in researching this peice. It gives me a real good base to continue the search. If my father decides to sell , you will be the first to know.

18. BillM

Interesting. This thread has swung from "it's a reproduction--I'm sure"
    to "Just MAYBE it MIGHT be a real Griswold and Gunnison" to "It's
    a real one--no doubt". Personally I'm pulling for it being real, and if
    it is I'm just astounded by the condition. The 5th Georgia saw a lot
    of action--usually these guns show some pitting from black powder and
    battlefield conditions. What a beautiful piece of history if it's real.

Peevee--try sending your pictures etc. to these folks.

Civil War Antiques Preservation Society - Civil War Antique Appraisers,Authenticators,and Buyers

Not sure if Jim Supica is still doing any appraisal work since he became
    director of the National Firearms Museum, but he would be another
    that could tell if it is authentic.

19. CA357

Man, I love this. Peevee please keep us in the loop.

Thank you and kudos to the knowledgeable and generous men of this community who offered their expertise.

20. opaww

opaww New Member

OK...OK $125 and I pay the shipping...Just kidding, But I think you need to get some real experts on it because though I feel it is the real thingy I cannot tell you the history of it. Along with an expert will be able to give you some area of value. Just remember I am not an expert by far and may be giving you some wrong information.