Help IDing French Percussion Lock

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by Lola85, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Lola85

Lola85 New Member

Found this old rifle at my Grandparents house my parents just bought. Not a lot of markings on it. Any knowledge base around here?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lola85

Lola85 New Member

Some info I gathered on another board.

3. Reinhard

Reinhard New Member Supporter

I agree with the info already given on this rifle, :)

4. historybug

historybug New Member

ID old French rifle

I agree. When I saw the pictures, I immediately thought of the Napoleonic War-era flintlock rifle replicas on our site--the shape is very similar. I attached a picture so you can see. The ones we have are Circa 1806-1807, though, and they are definitely flintlock type, so if it was converted to a percussion lock, that would put it forward a few years.

Attached Files:

5. Lola85

Lola85 New Member

Another response I got

6. historybug

historybug New Member

Thanks for the feedback. I bow to your superior expertise. Since I deal only in replica guns, unless it is one of the guns we have a replica of, I am usually not that familiar with them. :rolleyes: I recognize a few of the maker's marks, but the one pictured on that gun did not resemble anything I had seen.

7. Reinhard

the fleur de lys proofmarks are too crude to be of a known gun maker,it's an individual makers mark,the fleur de lys is used by Canada,France , Swiss,Spain....,I never seen a lock like this before,with the mechanism on the outside, and I think that the barrel is not rifled,difficult research with this kind of guns,and then you have the gun makers from afghanistan and India ,these guy's will make copies of any gun you can think of an option that I don't rule out on this gun

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  8. Lola85

Lola85 New Member

Ugh. Never thought this process would be so difficult. Maybe I need to contact a museum curator.

9. Reinhard

some guns are difficult to appraise ,this is one ,I personaly think few people can, unless there is a book with a picture of that type of lock or the proofmarks,let us know if you find out
    Reinhard

10. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

Dude, you live in Nevada, take it over to that Pawn Stars shop on TV, let his expert tell you what it is, they love old guns!
    The Clark County Museum Curator often appears as a guest on the show to ID an item

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  11. Lola85

Lola85 New Member

Curator: Well this rifle is probably worth around $3,000
    Pawn Stars guy: Well, I'll give you $800 for it :cool:

12. Lola85

Lola85 New Member

I really don't know where else to look. I've searched the internet for weeks.

13. Reinhard

you will only find the answer in books ,did some more research on this gun ,the lock on your gun is called a Miqueletlock, a word originated from the Catalan area ,miquelete ,this lock is typical mediterranean and invented by the Spanish,around the 17th century Italy developed a simular lock and named it a Roman lock , your gun has such a lock and is probly made in one of these countrys ,the locks where used untill mid 19 th century
    and it looks like a real skilled gunsmith made it into a percussion lock
    my guess for value ,between $500 and $850

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  14. Lola85

Lola85 New Member

Thanks, good info ;)

15. Lola85

Lola85 New Member

Emailed one of the guys from Pawn Stars.

16. Reinhard

thanks for the info,good luck with your rifle :)