Help identifying an old shotgun

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by talarico, Aug 19, 2012.

1. talarico

talarico New Member

My grandfather gave me most of an old shotgun all of the wood was gone. I am having a hard time figuring out the age and the make.

Here are the pictures I have taken.

pichttp://talarico.imgur.com/all/

Any ideas?

Thanks!

EDIT:
    The top of the barrel says "Belgium Laminated Steel"
    The hammer assembly says "Machine Made"

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  2. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

Need more info, check the barrel stamp.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

When I try to enlarge the photo of the underside of the barrel with the markings, it runs off screen. Get us some centered close up photos. Put photos in your computer, then attach to a posting using the tiny paperclip icon up above where you are typing. Just to the right of the white smiley face.

4. talarico

talarico New Member

I updated the main post with pics.

Thanks guys!

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

OK- here is a really wild assed quasi-educated guess- you may have an Eclipse shotgun. These where made in Belgium during the last 15-20 years of the 1800s, and sold here in the US by H&D Folsom Hardware.

There were several names for the process of making a barrel by winding metal strips around a rod, and heating and hammer welding them together- among other names, Damascus, Twist, Stub, and Laminated steel. These were all meant for BLACK POWDER shells. Some were made (and cared for) better than others. I would not- on the face of it- consider your safe to fire ANYTHING- but restored, MINUS the firing pins, give it a place of honor over the fireplace.

If anyone has a different opinion on make/ history, you will not hurt my feelings any- that was my best guess. You might do a Google image search for Eclipse shotgun, and see how they match up to the outlines and contours of yours.

6. jasrrt

jasrrt New Member

Doesn't look like a damascus barrel. More like a lower quality carbon steel. Maybe a remington 1889.

Need to see more pics.

7. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

8. jasrrt

jasrrt New Member

9. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

10. talarico

talarico New Member

Hey all, first of all thank you so much for all of the replies.

Here is what I am thinking, I am not sure about it being and H.J. Sterling. I only say this because of the way the hammer assemblies is placed on the gun, it is much father forward like the link posted before in the thread before (http://www.gunauction.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=10279793) notice how the hammer is in the middle.

In this other gun I saw (http://arms2armor.com/store/product987.html), the Eclipse shotgun suggested above, and the hammer assembly I have it looks like the hammer is at the very front of the piece.

However, I really do not know anything about older firearms and may be 100% off!

I really appreciate all of the help guys.

Thanks!

11. talarico

talarico New Member

12. vagunsmith

vagunsmith New Member

I have a WH Hamilton that looks like it also. Mine was imported from a shotgun factory in Belgium and sold through a man in NY. Lots of these shotguns were imported and were the same but sold under different names.

13. talarico

talarico New Member

Are there any other markings on your gun than what I have shown on mine?

Thanks!

14. rivergun

rivergun New Member

15. jasrrt

jasrrt New Member

Disagree. His barrels are not damascus.

16. rivergun

rivergun New Member

I'm not positive but...
    ...doesn't laminatted steel mean damascus?

17. jasrrt

jasrrt New Member

Sorry, thanks for the correction. What I think I meant to say was his is not damascus twist. Whereas the one you referenced is. You are correct to say that the twist and laminated steel are both damasacus steel.

18. performer21

performer21 New Member

Hey im new. But the first thing we need to identefy is the proof marks. From what is see he has both Belgian and English proof marks.The has both the belgian final proof and the english mark for gauge this tells me that this gun was manufactured in belgium and went to england where it had the gauge symbol added on later. However I dont see any tower of london marks. meaning that it went to bermingham. This tells me that the barrels were produced in belgium and some how winded up in bermigham based on the fact that there is no tower of london mark. Now for the s marks those marks mean that it was aprroved for smoklles powder in both belgium and bermingham. So I beileve that this gun was produced in belgium somthing happened to the hammer the gun had to be repaired and re-proofed in bermigham. So I dont think that hammer is original.

19. performer21

performer21 New Member

oh and i forgot but blueguns is right those are hj sterling barrels. but that hammer is not. also im a gun historian. and i can tell you based on the serial number this gun was ordered by braning and sons gun smithing in the 1800 and was sold in bermingham. sorry probally should have checked my recordes before my last post. all those proofs mean is that this gun was made in belgium sold to a shop in bermingham and then had to be re proofed there. also if the barrels dont say laminated or twist on them then they a not laminated or twisted steel barrels.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012