Help Identifying an old 30-06

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Martin_3, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Martin_3

Martin_3 New Member

My family has this old well used 30-06 that we've all been using for hunting for years upon years that we got from my grandpa that he got from one of his brothers, and we just realized that other than knowing that it takes 30-06 springfield ammo, we know nothing about it!

I pulled it out today and took pictures. Every single bit of writing or tooling on the gun is visible in one of the pictures, if there is supposed to be something more, it's gone now.

[​IMG]

The butt of the rilfe reads: "BISHOP STOCKS"

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto..._341250768180_690728180_3751864_6279450_n.jpg

This is where the front scope mount attaches to the action. The Scope mount reads:
    "REDFIELD
    PAT. NO. 1,837,290
    OTHER PATS. PEND."

The numbers on the action are: 410647

[​IMG]

The lettering on the scope reads:
    "4X
    Redfield"

[​IMG]

This is the other side of the front scope mount.
    I believe this reads: "US" but I'm not sure

[​IMG]

This is what's left of the numbers on the top of the barrel about 4 inches in front of the scope. I can't clearly read any of it but I believe there is a "3" and a "5" in about the center of the picture

There are no markings on the strap.

Sorry I don't have anything else, but if I did, then I probably wouldn't be asking.

Any help would be great!

2. Zacsquatch

Zacsquatch New Member

IS there a lever on the left side of the rifle that releases the bolt? It looks like a sportified p17 maybe.

3. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  4. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Looks like a sporterized '03 Springfield to me--Not sure 100%

5. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

03 springer sporterized if you took the scope mount off it would say right underneith of it on the front.

7. Martin_3

Martin_3 New Member

Thanks for the pic of the action, that looks about right.

Thanks Guys!

8. Wambli

Wambli New Member

That is a very nice Springfield '03 sporter. Bishop was a stock manufacturer that specialized in making stocks for military surplus guns like Springfields and Mausers. My Sporterized '03 has the same stock and so does one of my old 1936 Mauser.

Great gun you have there!