Help Identify This Thing?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by eelxd, Aug 24, 2011.

1. eelxd

eelxd New Member

Hello,
    I've been looking all over the net and can't find any info as to what this is. It says JGA on the barrel so it might be an Anschutz. It's apx 20 inches long, .22 long rifle. It probably came from Germany at the end of WWII. Anyone have any info or an estimate as to it's worth? Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. dthomas

dthomas New Member

It's a German made Anschutz Original JGA. Yours has been chopped (I would imagine for convenience, concealment, etc.) but they are usually worth around $100 - $170, depending on the condition of the rifle. It's listed in the 2011 Standard Catalog of Firearms, 21st Edition.

I hope that helps ...

Peace Always - Donald

3. wjkuleck

wjkuleck Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

If...this started out as a rifle (it appears to have)...and if...the barrel is less than 16" (sure looks like it from the tape measure)...or if...the overall length is less than 26" (ditto)...it's a short-barrelled rifle, or SBR, and subject to the National Firearms Act of 1934 (NFA).

Major legal problem.

Regards,

Walt

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Correct. Although understated. Major legal problem as in 5 yrs and $10,000 major if not registered, IF it began life as a rifle.

5. orangello

orangello New Member

OK, dumb question here: if it started as a rifle, why does the rear sight look more like the rear sight on a pistol? IOW, why no elevation adjustment? Don't the rifles have like a leaf with a thingy under it to raise the rear sight?

6. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

It def looks well under 16 inches! I wuold def try and find out as much about that as possible before the law finds out for you. That would be all bad...real bad!

7. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Many older rifles had rear sights just like the one in the pictures.

8. eelxd

eelxd New Member

I took this to a gunsmith and he said it hasn't been cut down as far as he can tell. He also said he's seen some newer Anschutz guns similar in barrel lengths to this one in a gun reference book so maybe it is original but he has no idea what model this is or what it's worth. The is a serial number on it so I guess I'll try to contact Anschutz directly. Thanks for the help guys.

9. orangello

orangello New Member

EEL, i would love to know what you find out. Interesting arm, regardless.

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Correct :eek:
    I'd investegate it VERY discreetly :rolleyes:

11. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Yes it is a Anschutz, here is the same one just different grip.

Attached Files:

12. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

Modern versions are called *Exemplar*