Help identify this old pistol please

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by players88, Aug 24, 2011.

1. players88

players88 New Member

A friend has this old pistol thats been in his family along time but he has no idea what it is or what its value is? Can anyone help identify it? Their is no

names on it just three small stripes and a diamond shaped group of dots. Ive circled it in yellow in the pics to see. The hammer cocks back 2 clicks. the

firing cap blows clear into the barrel.

PS if you email me players88@hotmail.com i can send you more pics.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Not sure. It looks like it may be from Europe.

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

commonly called "muff" pistols. These were fairly common here and in Europe. Made maybe 1850 to 1880 or so by many gunsmiths and small gun companies. value in that shape about $150 to $300. I always thought they were kinda cute.

4. utf59

utf59 New Member

Look up "muff" before you get the wrong idea.

5. unclebear

unclebear New Member

make sure safe search is on... :p

I don't know if this helps but they were used a lot as boot pistols, some of them had blades put under the barrel so after you fired your one shot you would have a blade to work with. It was pretty much just a cheap form of protection you could get, a gun smith could throw one together quickly and pretty cheap.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  6. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Is that were the ladies hid them :rolleyes:

7. players88

players88 New Member

UPDATE on OLD PISTOL

Thanks Very Much for your help. I kinda know its old now and its called a muff gun or box lock percussion pocket pistol or somethign else. I would like to know exactly what it is if possible?
    new info the barrel does unscrew on this pistol I tried that today and also the dots are on the barrel of the gun and I can’t get my cam to get a good pic that close up but they aren’t dots it’s like two pickaxes crossing each other with maybe a crown or dot above and smaller one below them? Oh yeah and the two pickaxes that cross each other are on the barrel and the gun as well. The three stripes are on the barrel behind the two crossed pickaxes or hammers?

Attached Files:

8. orangello

orangello New Member

9. players88

players88 New Member

why do u think it looks like a reproduction? its your assumption without any reasoning?

10. orangello

orangello New Member

You misunderstand my post. I only wanted to indicate that it resembles that reproduction pistol from Dixie, primarily in function and the apparent mechanics (screw barrel). That is why i added the parenthetical "(not saying that it is a reproduction)". Some reader may be more familiar with the firearm that Dixie is imitating; that firearm that is being imitated might be related to the one you have posted pictures of.

I have no idea if your item is a reproduction or an original screw barrel pistol.

11. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

The marks are most likely proof marks from Europe. Most(or at least a lot) of these guns had screw-off barrels. It is VERY hard to say if it is a reproduction without a close in hand examination. I have made many replacement parts look old to match the guns I fitted them to. With a good close-up of the proof marks we might be able to date the gun or at least say what country it came from. Or you can google "gun proof marks" to investigate for yourself.

12. players88

players88 New Member

i cant seem to get my camera to focus up close

i cant seem to get my camera to focus up close but u can email me at players88@hotmail.com and i will send u all the pics i got, the are higher quality than i can post here and u can zoom better

13. players88

players88 New Member

where can i sell it in ontario canada?

where can i sell it in ontario canada? kijijii wont let me post it

14. Tazomazo1

Tazomazo1 New Member

Definitely european. Check the archive at the Ashmolean museum in oxford.

15. players88

players88 New Member

Where is that? you mean the webpage from the UK? thats a place to sell it? i live in ontario canada

16. victorzamora

victorzamora New Member

Go to this site. Look at Lots 813 and 773. Your gun is more the size of the gun in 813 (seems like), it's definitely smaller than lot 773. However, your gun looks more like the style of the one in 773. I'm sure 773 isn't a "Muff pistol" or screw-barrel or whatever we've decided to call yours, but it looks like yours in the sense that it looks like the bigger brother.

Also, look at this one and this one.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  17. willshoum

willshoum New Member

A penny for your thoughts.....

Thats the pistol that Killed Pres. Lincoln.......:eek::D

18. players88

players88 New Member

i think 813 is exectly it. and the last link you sent me is the same as well. The oth

i think 813 is exectly it. and the last link you sent me is the same as well. The other isint a round barrel it oxegon i think

19. players88

players88 New Member

really thats the right type of gun and era that killed pres lincoln???

20. victorzamora

victorzamora New Member

players88, the only difference I see between 813 and yours is the shape of the grip. Lot 813 I linked you to seems to have a more "squared-off" grip shape.