Help ID this Mosin Bolt

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by JayCody, Oct 12, 2013.

1. JayCody

JayCody New Member

I recently Purchased a Mosin Nagant bolt body and noticed it looked different from all the others I have seen, is it a collectible from a rare mosin variant?

I have it soaking in break free clp to help remove the dry cosmoline

Attached Files:

2. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I don`t see what`s strange about it..............Looks like a Mosin Nagant bolt body.

3. JayCody

JayCody New Member

The bottom of the handle is rounded not squared like all the others I have seen

4. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

What exactly is different about this one?

5. JayCody

JayCody New Member

I will post a picture of what I mean when I get the chance

6. JayCody

JayCody New Member

Y'all should be able to see what I mean now

Attached Files:

7. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Looks regulation to me. Got a photo of the "squared" one?

Edit: Took me a second look. Yes the handle base seems squared on Pic 1. I have never seen, heard, or read of its significance. The struck out serial number may indicate that the bolt was recycled or the rifle refurbished. It looks older. As a guess, this rectangular pattern may be contemporary to the hexagonal Mosin receiver, before those parts were rounded in the first Soviet edition.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  8. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

the first pic is a older one... nothing really special about it though...

9. JayCody

JayCody New Member

thanks for the help everyone

10. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Oh I see what you are talking about, where the bolt attaches to the body, I believe that come out of a 1943 dated Izhevsk M44...........If you go to 7.62x54r.net there is alot of good info there.........Does not really matter though, every bolt will fit every rifle. Check this pile of bolt bodies out, a bunch of different ones

Attached Files:

11. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Without a doubt any more, the squared handle base originally came with a hexagonal receiver. It would be collectible if you had a matching receiver from Remington or Westinghouse, or the French contractor whose name I don't rermember. The older Russian made Imperial Mosins are valuable but not (yet) collectible. So are the Finnish ones with a military provenance, such as the refurbished Imperial issue rifles and the captured/reissued former Soviet ones with the telltale stamps.

12. icerider

icerider New Member

The bolt is a Tula (hammer in a circle) There are various bolt handle configurations. I have a large collection of 9130's and I have several. The other thing is that the bolt in your first pic, has not been ground down and renumbered very many times. You can tell by how little if any sway back is in the serial number area in front of the handle.