Help deciding what AR-15 to buy.

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by thundermonty, Nov 3, 2012.

1. thundermonty

thundermonty New Member

Hello all. In the somewhat bear future i want to buy an AR 15 (in .223). The brand i am pretty much dead-set on is Rock River Arms. I do not have alot of money so im trying to keep it under 1k. I see they have a few models for that price. I am wanting to know, what is the "best" all-around rifle in that price range? Should i go with a Mid-Length or a Carbine? Some of the models im looking at are the Standard A2/A4, Mid Length A2/A4, and the entry Tactical. Thanks!

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

1K? Midlength BCM...

3. Catfish

Catfish Member

I am a Rock River fan. As for what to get it all depends on what you want to do with it. I hunt with mine, mostly coyote, and I have found that I like them as close to a bolt gun as I can get them. I like the flat tops with no frount sight and hate those colapsable stocks. I also think getting a match trigger is worth the price. A free floated forearm is also preferable, but not 100% nessary. For hunting I prefer it with a 3 x 9 Leupold scope on it.

4. thundermonty

thundermonty New Member

Hunting, target shooting, defense. I need something for just a good, "all around" type rifle.

5. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Save your money for a few months and get a Colt LE6920, or better yet a 6940. you'll never regret it.

6. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Midlength, for sure.

Quentin, I just bought an upper from BCM. A 14.5-inch barreled upper with midlength gas (just the upper, mind you), Larue rails, BCG, charging handle, and BUIS was $1000! Add a lower, completely built, and you've got a $1400 AR. An awesome AR, but $400 over the OP's budget.

RRA and Palmetto State might be the better option to keep the AR under $1000.

7. thundermonty

thundermonty New Member

What are the advantages of the colt over the other rifles? There are so many option on what to get nowadays. It's insane, but good.

8. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  9. CamoToe1

CamoToe1 Member

RRA makes great rifles. Most guys on here preach the 1 in 7 twist, midlength, mil spec blah blah blah. Rock river arms doesn't get much love because they are generally 1 in 9 twist with commercial buffer tubes and cater more to the Varmint crowd(and the DEA...) However, their attention to detail is every bit as good as BCM, DD, PSA in my opinion.

The only critique I have with RRA is that their rifles and accessories tend to be on the heavy side. Just my experience.

I suggest a 16" midlength in government or lightweight profile and don't forget their 2 stage trigger. Its sweet. It's a good all around rifle and chances are you'll catch BRD and get another...

10. okdonk

okdonk New Member

If buying direct from RRA, the lead time is 4-6 months at least. Correct me if i'm wrong.

11. WestForkArmory

WestForkArmory New Member

Let us build you a custom AR. We build 100% mil-spec AR-15's and can work with your budget. If you would like to see some of our recent custom builds. Send us a email at sales@westforkarmory.com our current build time is around ten days on most builds. You can choose from 1:7, 1:8 and 1:9 chrome lined or non-chrome lined barrels. Sights, gas blocks, hand guards, grips, stocks.....all your choice and will be package priced. $950 will get you a very nice AR from us. We build everything from AR's to machine guns like our WF-16 Model-X LE/Govt Only we have a civilian version too. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvz8u4cMHDw&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Here are a few examples that have been uploaded recently. http://www.westforkarmory.com/129-custom-wf-rifles

Attached Files:

12. g23shooter

g23shooter New Member

I agree with other posts, RRA is a fine weapon. It is not mil-spec but I do not believe it would be necessary for that unless I was going into combat with it. That being said mid length would probably be best, pick one with the type rail you prefer and enjoy. Do not get hung up on the name of Colt and others, most can not shoot them that we'll anyway and they offer no distinct advantage in ordinary use. I will say that they do have a tendency to be heavy because of the heavy profile barrel and the forearms can be just a scant heavier in specific configurations.

13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Nice build, Chris! They get better each time, huh? ;)

A BCM can be brought in for about the same as many RRAs, around 1K. I'd go that way myself. As you say PSA is a great way to go also and you can shave a couple hundred off, maybe even to $750. (Again better than RRA for a general purpose AR.)

@okdonk... I've heard that lead time too.

14. GonzoLonzo

GonzoLonzo Member

15. Quentin

Quentin New Member

What's wrong is to put on blinders focusing on only one brand when there are better products in the same price range.

16. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

like this one - http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=224? RRA makes good rifles and they have very good results for accuracy. Another brand you may want to look at is STAG, excellent rifles as well.

Now have you given any thoughts to "building" your own AR15? Read the stickies, read the build threads ... it's not all that hard (so easy HS graduates can do it under fire ;) ).

17. GonzoLonzo

GonzoLonzo Member

Quentin, very true. It just sounded like he had his mind set on RRA and I was trying to save him the long wait of ordering direct through RRA. Now me personally, I don't own any RRA's, my brother does and we have abused the hell out of it and had no issues so far. All of my AR's were built by me for each of their intended uses.

18. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Once a person felt the joy of building... he or she would not buy a complete one.. anymore :).

19. thundermonty

thundermonty New Member

I built my own computer, how hard can an AR 15 be?

20. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

can you fashion a rudimentary lathe? :rolleyes: ... If so you can build an AR ;)

check out the build threads ... easy peasy :D