Firearms Talk banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks for all your help and input fellas!! I ended up getting a SP2022 for a reasonable price on gunbroker. Turns out the shop i the gun came from had 9mm ammo for $14 a box for some federal fmj's!!!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
If you are going to use this gun as back up for hunting then you want a gun that can Knock a bear on its ***. with $600 you are looking at a .45 and have a choice of the M&P45, RIA 1911, maybe a Glock 21 if you can find one, or one of the tarus wheel gun models. If I were you and since you have a Hi-Pont already and yiou know they are not pieces of junk, get the .40 and the .45 models AND get a 995TS or 4095TS so then you will have 3 new guns v. one more when the President outlaws them all.
LOL. I'm not going up against a bear with anything short of a fawking hand grenade (though an RPG would work better :eek:) I have no inclination to hunt something that would enjoy gnawing on my *** without some serious knockdown power. Seriously though, if you go out without a .50 for backup, that seems to me to be asking for trouble.

And the Sig will make you a fine weapon. They make great products, I carry one every day

·
Registered
179 Posts
Bears!!?? holy hell you just blew this out of the water. There's no way, no f**king way, carry, plinking and smacking a bear down fit on the same handgun. A .45ACP's gonna piss off a bear a bit more than a nine will but knocking one back takes velocity, not just diameter. That's pure wheel gun territory there. .357 mag or higher.
You can get round for your .45 that have hi volocity of 1200fps, I have some. It will do you alot better to shoot it with a .45 10 times than to hit it with a 9mm 17 times. You said you wanted something that would be good for self defense when Bow Hunting for $500. a .357 aint gonna cost you $500 esspecially a wheel gun. You are not getting a .44 for that amount of money and if you do, you are not gonna go out for the day target shooting. So you caneither get a .45 with +p rounds a .40 with ammor pircing rounds or a sawed off shotgun and use rifled slugs, but I don't think they have the speed on them. You have the same pPredatory Wild Animals there as we do here. and a 45 will kill a cougar and will scare the hell out of a bear. If he stands up and you shoot it it will kill him.

·
Supporting Member
12,432 Posts
PABuck,

My recommendation would be the Sig or the Glock!
And as one has already stated! If you are going to do a lot of shooting and plinking better stay with the 9MM. Not that in the past I preferred it as a defense round. But in the latter years the ammunition available for them in good defense bullets has came a long way. And there are presently some excellent rounds available today for the 9MM. Since the Generation 4 Glocks are out you probably could land a great deal on a Generation III. And nothing wrong with buying a good used pistol. Many have not been shot hardly at all. A guy or gal will buy them on a whim and keep them in a drawer only to see something they want more later and trade them in or need some money. Most may have had less than two boxes of ammunition through them if that many!
Good Luck on your selection.

·
Registered
179 Posts
LOL. I'm not going up against a bear with anything short of a fawking hand grenade (though an RPG would work better :eek:) I have no inclination to hunt something that would enjoy gnawing on my *** without some serious knockdown power. Seriously though, if you go out without a .50 for backup, that seems to me to be asking for trouble.

And the Sig will make you a fine weapon. They make great products, I carry one every day
If you kill a deer and are cleaning it, If a bear is in the area you will be in some danger. The bear will smell a fresh kill and you will have blood all over yourself. Bears live bait rather than dead bait. You will need a gun that you are able to put down a bear with. The S&W .500 would be fantastic for that or even a .44 but you will not be shooting a whole lot at the range you will pay about $1.60 per round for either one of these guns.

·
Premium Member
22,674 Posts
Vector, if you shoot a bear 10 times with a .45 ACP, you're really gonna piss him off.:cool:

A 9mm isn't much better, but at least it has more penetration.

Use of either would be an act of incredible stupidity.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
If you kill a deer and are cleaning it, If a bear is in the area you will be in some danger. The bear will smell a fresh kill and you will have blood all over yourself. Bears live bait rather than dead bait. You will need a gun that you are able to put down a bear with. The S&W .500 would be fantastic for that or even a .44 but you will not be shooting a whole lot at the range you will pay about $1.60 per round for either one of these guns.
Fortunately for me, we don't have bears down here. We do have Panthers, mountain lions, bobcats, etc but those can all be handled with said deer rifle. I'm quite confident with my abilities with a weapon, but even I would rather just pass on an altercation with a Grizzly. (but if I had to, the S&W 500 would be my first choice in sidearms)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I myself would go with the M&P .40FS that way for around $80 you can get a .357sig barrel and shoot .357Sig. Now another $80 and a new magazine and you can shoot the cheaper 9mm! So for the price your looking at around $500 you can get the M&P, a quality weapon, and for a meer couple hundred more you can have 3 different guns! That was one of my reasons why I added the .40FS to my collection. If you go this way, I guarantee that you won't regret it in ANY way! Now the Sig is a wonderful weapon no doubt, but 3 guns in one. Can't beat that.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts