Help deciding on a new semi auto .308

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by Theblakester, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Theblakester

Theblakester New Member

I'm looking for a an accurate .308 semi auto rifle with the ability to mount a scope. I would like something that can shoot very precise at longer distances and that is obviously also reliable. My budget is preferably under $1300. I will mostly use it for hunting hogs and other large non-game animals (exotic deer, coyotes, etc.) any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=256

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=255

the standard a4 is very accurate can likely be had for cheaper. takes common l1a inch or metric mags.

3. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

The DPMS LR308-AP4 is short, light weight, utterly reliable and quite accurate, and feels like an AR-15. It's only 3/4 lb heavier than the 5.56 M-4 version.

A near perfect brush and mountain gun for game up to elk size.

About $1100 MSRP

4. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Ditto jon and locutus - for your price range both RRA and DPMS make a good AR10

5. Theblakester

Theblakester New Member

Thanks for all the great replies. That last link isnt working. Do u know the moa of that browning? Any other good suggestions?

6. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

A well used m1a can be had for that price. Or look into a Fal

7. fetep

fetep New Member

^^^ by God! This!!

8. Theblakester

Theblakester New Member

I like the browning. Don't know anything about em but i like it. Im gonna research it's accuracy and reliability. I have an M1A scout and it's not shootin very accurately and I'm tired of putting money into it.

9. steve4102

steve4102 New Member

Yes, I had one in 300WSM, wouldn't shoot worth a darn. My Safari in 300WSM with BOSS is all Steel, no Aluminium like the ST and shoots great.

10. BRAD313

BRAD313 New Member

Right on I got the longtrac in 300 like three days ago got adout 50 ends threw it at 150 yards I like the way it shoots it ain't my bolt action I'd say it falls a little short on accuracy tho I will see if still have some targets from the rang in my bag n post them it ain't like way way of or any thing just not real tight groups can I get the boss system put on that gun ?

11. anm2_man

anm2_man Member

Get one of these with a 24" barrel and reach out to 1,000 yards.

[​IMG]

I just picked this item up and need to start testing. It has a problem sitting in my safe (only 26" long). The 24" barrel version is 33" long.

12. Commocarl

Commocarl New Member

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  13. RustyShackleford101

RustyShackleford101 New Member

Dude! Those nock offs are the bomb! I used to have a nick off g3. It worked great and I got it for 800 bucks! It sure was reliable! Id recommend it.

14. Theblakester

Theblakester New Member

So I ended up meeting a guy with an FNAR 20 inch heavy barrel at the range to try out before I bought it. I brought my own scope and scope rings (Bushnell elite 6500 2.5-16x50) and everything fit great. After getting on paper at 25 yds we moved to 100 yds. After two or 3 shots sighting it in I shot a 3 shot group making a .5 inch hole in the paper. I was out of ammo after that and switched to a different ammo that shot about an inch right and 2 inches low but still achieved a sub moa group. After dialing in with that ammo I shot another 3 shot group, but i pulled on one of the shots, so the group was an inch and a half. Then i placed the final 2 shots on target in the same hole. I decided that the gun had proven itself so I bought it from him for $900 cash. And that came with a Harris bipod mounted to it.

Attached Files:

15. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Congratulations, that is a very nice rifle and a good price too. Not bad shooting either, I would expect it to perform even better once you dial in the ammo :)

16. TLuker

TLuker New Member

I would love to know exactly what differences there are between the FNAR and the Browning BAR, which was produced by FN for Browning for a long time? And now that FN owns Browning it would make sense for them to put their name on it, dress it up a little, and release it as the FNAR.

17. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

The Browning has a steel receiver, while the FNAR has an alloy receiver to conserve weight.

And IIRC, the FNAR is only available in .308, while the Browning is available in multiple calibres from .243 to .338 WinMag.

Different magazines, too.