Help Dating double barrel

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by EagleDreamer, Aug 16, 2011.

1. EagleDreamer

EagleDreamer New Member

I need some help dating a side-by-side shotgun. It says Stevens then underneath that Savage Arms. If my understanding is correct Savage Arms did the marketing for Stevens. It is a 12 ga. The only other "factory" marking is 5100 on the right side of the gun. My dad thought this was the serial no. but I am pretty positive it is the model no. The reason I put factory in quotes is because my great-uncle carved what appears to be his Driver's License number into the stock. I saw no other marks other than a couple proof marks. My dad thinks his uncle most likely bought it new in the 40's. Was this too early to be marked with a serial number? I know Savage and Stevens Arms are not top of the line, but this gun has much sentimental value.
    As a side note my dad was given this gun about 3 years ago by his uncle before he passed. In 3 years he never shot it. Well my dad's aunt just passed away, and we had been talking about going shooting so I suggested we take the double barrel. Seemed like as good a time as any to take it out. We went and shot trap today and he let me use it. I went 22/25 our second round. That bad boy has my shoulder bruised, but it is a joy to shoot.
    One more side note: this only happened once. I was loading up for my third shot. Safety on ( comes on by itself everytime you break it open to eject) finger off the triggers I close it and BANG! The gun fired on safety finger off the triggers. Luckily it was pointed at the ground as I was taught. Any explanation for this? The gun was cleaned before we took it. Did I close it too hard? Seems that shouldnt happen even if I did but like I said it only happened that one time and I shot 46 more shells after that.
    Sorry for rambling.... Eagle

2. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Savage bought Stevens out. The 5100 was discontinued in 48.

3. EagleDreamer

EagleDreamer New Member

Thanks Hawg...any idea if that was pre- ssrial numbers?

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

serial numbers were not required until 1968

5. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Serial numbers were not required until 68 but many used them long before that.

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

As Hiwall stated, serial numbers were not required until the GCA of 1968. The larger makers like Remington and Winchester always put serial numbers on guns. The smaller ones like Savage/Stevens did not.

The sear/sears are likely worn causing the discharge on closing. A competent gunsmith can fix that.