help choosing a pistol

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by beastmode986, May 5, 2012.

1. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

my dad wants to buy a pistol( he dosent like online forums and such he never uses them )so i decided to go ahead and do research for him(he like me to do reasearch for him because hes busy alot with work) so that being said he has told me that he wants a pistol because were going to buy ourselves 2 gun he wants a pistol i want a rifle. he dosent want to spend to much probably sub 500$ guns , he wants something that has a good size round reliable and accurate. i have always wondered if jimenez ja 9mm are any good because they are so cheap any opinions?
    maybe a glock 22 or 27? any tips are appreciated, thanks!

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

3. gunfreak101

gunfreak101 New Member

For home defense I would say a shotgun. Next thing close to a shotgun handgun style would be the Taurus Judge.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

Yup, shotgun; i prefer a pump-action 12 guage like my Mossberg 500. My second choice for HD is my XD45 by springfield armory; it is a bit big for concealed carry, but otherwise is reliable, comfortable, and launches a large wad of lead when needed.

5. LikeABoss

LikeABoss Member Lifetime Supporter

Start with a 9mm, work your way up to a .45 if never shot before

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

A Glock 22, 23 or 27 would be a good choice, in fact I have all three. The last two are my favorites. The 19 or 26 are good as well.

7. kycol

kycol New Member

For under 500 I think a Rock Island 1911 in a 9mm or 45 acp. These are very good, reliable, well made without busting your bank account. I have never heard anything bad about an RI. I love mine for sure.

8. oli700

oli700 New Member

Smart man.

9. G23LCPK45

G23LCPK45 New Member

Sounds like you have a tight budget for 2 guns. Ammo cost is a huge thing to think about. Best protection, fun for the buck, I suggest a 9mm pistol for $350 and a .22 rifle $150. You both get what you can afford and can feed/shoot without making your dad work more hours. ...12 gage, Glocks, 1911's, etc put you over budget. Your dad need not fear the forums. Knowledge is power, you just have to separate expert opinions from what you want to know. Keep researching, you'll find something that works for you both.

10. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Shotgun in 12gauge is the best FIRST gun for home defense. That is firepower. Don't forget to buy 100-200 00-Buck shells.

Then, add to that some double-action full-size polymer pistol in 9mm. Glock 17, Springfield XD Service, or Smith and Wesson M&P9 would all be good choices.

11. G23LCPK45

G23LCPK45 New Member

Shotgun $325+ ammo $100-200 & a $535 Glock+ammo $25= $1,085... The budget was 500$ (must be the short new math version of $500) for 2 guns. Yep, I can see why dad sent in his 12 year old.

12. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

He might check out High points, I believe they have a 380, 9mm, 45cal, for home defense theyll do. And very cheap. Lifetime warranty, even if bought used.

13. Werminator

Werminator Member

You could probably turn to a local gun shop and score a good deal on a trade in Glock, Ruger, or other big name manufacturer. Personally I wouldn't buy a Jiminez for anything, not even as a paper weight. 9 mm is a great place to start. It is an effective round that is plentiful and one of the most affordable centerfire calibers under current manufacture. You could try to score a variant of the sks for the rifle option. You can find a decent condition sks in the ballpark of 250 to 300 depending where you look and what options you want in one. I absolutely love my Ruger SR9 pistol and my Norinco DP SKS... With open sights my sks can still hit a 10" target consistenly at 100 yards or better without having put extra money into any modifications or enhancements... They are both very durable guns and I feel they both represent good value... The SR9 is a newer model, though, and would be hard to find for under 350 or so used but some of their older models could probably be had pretty cost effectively and I feel Ruger makes a solid shooter... Really hard to give much advice though, since I don't know the end user and his requirements for this selection.

14. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Also im 14 and did i say 500 for both? I should have said 800 my dad wont go over that. I was looking at the sks,10/22,ak47, and any saiga rifles. My dad wants either 40s&w 45acp or 9mm i dont think he would like the high points i think i saw a pac7 or something with a name like that for 250 i read they are made in cali and pretty reliable

15. orangello

orangello New Member

16. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

If you want a home defense gun you cant go wrong with a shotgun, for a rifle 10/22 all day

17. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

We don't know how experienced with firearms your dad is. Or how old.

Beginners usually start with .22LR's.

From there you can then move up to .38 or 9mm in a handgun (revolver or pistol).

And there are much smaller shotguns than 12 gauge, like 410 or 20 gauge, which are better shotguns for beginners, or older folks.

18. Polygon

Polygon New Member

I'm going echo shotgun here. You can get lighter loads that don't go through wall but will still kill someone and there's more room for error. For home defense, always a shotgun.